TOTL tubed headpone amp

With either “basic/starter” tubes, or in some cases without the main signal tubes, prices are roughly as follows:

• Apex Pinnacle Ultra 2 - ~$12,000
  • Bottlehead Neothoriator - $10,000 (only two exist, only one is for sale)
  • DNA Stratus & Stellaris - ~$3,000 to $7,000+ (depending on options and version)
  • EC Studio (maybe Studio Jr), Aficionado (w/ feedback mod) and ZDS - $2,500 to $7,000ish
  • Glenn Custom - varies … I believe they start around $1,500
  • Viva Egoista 2A3 and 845 - >$10,000
  • Woo WA33 (non-Elite) and WA234 MKII, ~$7,999 and $16,000 respectively.
10 Likes

Torq is correct for the DNAs - Stratus at 3K with stock tubes and Stellaris is more than double that. The Stellaris has a couple of versions, IIRC, that increase the price even further. The Starlett is 2K. If you are interested he is very good to deal with over email, may take a couple of days to get back to you but he always answered my dumb questions.

Donald commented on SBAF recently that he has one of his super Stellaris’ out in the world now.

1 Like

I’m not sure he does upgrades for the Starlett or Stratus outside of maybe supplying different tubes. He feels he pretty much maxes out what he can get with the components within that price point. You could always ask as as I know he has done some custom work in the past for mono blocks and such.

1 Like

Don’t forget the Cayin HA-300 for $4000

1 Like

I’ve listened to the DNA Stellaris that Donald brought over to my house for a listening session. It uses 2A3 tubes, and at least for me, it is too analytical and light in the mid-bass/bass compared to 300b tubes.

So I chose the Cayin HA-300 amp that has more sweeter sounding, full-bodied musicality over the Stellaris. YMMV.

12 Likes

That is some kind of extraplanetary gearhead nirvana there.

1 Like

DNA does have a “house” sound. Not everyone is gonna like it. Glad you found something you do like to listen to.

3 Likes

Right, and I discussed this with Donald. He is more for the transparent, accurate, reference-like sound (complete opposite from the warm dark sound of the amp&sound Amp I tested a few weeks later), which is why he chose the 2A3 tube over 300b or 845 tubes.

One highlight though is he use Audio Note UK transformers, which he said costs around $2000

2 Likes

I may give him a call, just for more background and details. I don’t know that I’m making any immediate purchases of anything, but I’m really impressed by what I’m reading (here and elsewhere online). I’d really need to sit and listen to some 300b vs. 2A3 vs. 845 amps first, just to know the territory, and that won’t be possible anytime soon. But I gather, as with most handmade audio gear from these bespoke outfits, you’re waiting 6 months to a year anyway …

Also, a few Amp makers like EC Studios will make you the Amp, but you have to buy all the tubes yourself. I listened to his Amp at his store, too.

I’d love to listen to Viva Egoista. They’re gorgeous and supposed to be amazing, too

@JoeyGun They have the Egoista and the Woo amps at In Living Stereo in NYC, which I visit several times a year, so next time (next year? who knows?) I’ll make sure to check everything out. I only got “serious” about headphones recently. Given budget and that headphones are very much a secondary audio experience in my house (although I often am listening all day while working), it’s likely I won’t commit any extreme sums of cash for yet another piece of gear, but it’s interesting to think about and research.

Yes, those transformers are nuts!!

At that level of performance it really does just come down to preference: 2A3 v 300b or what have you. The technicalities beyond that should be high class anyways.

1 Like

And even then, when you put a high class tube, it goes up another level. The speed of transients, increase in resolution, and the size of the soundstage is what I noticed most when I went from the stock TJ Full Music 300b to my Psvane Acme Supreme 300b tubes.

And when I thought it couldn’t be more resolving, the Hugo TT2 took it to another level. I can’t even imagine how it’ll be with the M-Scaler on top of that!

5 Likes

Good equipment scales well. Which also means once you start down that path you feel like you gotta upgrade everything!!!

4 Likes

I heard the LTAs at Capital Audio Fest and loved them. It was also where I got to hear ZMFs for the first time (bought Auteurs). I ended up getting an MZ2 B stock and really love it. Like you, I considered the Pendant based on the many reviews on this forum and it was a tough choice. I talked to Nicholas at LTA and he answered my questions about the unit since this is my first tube amp. I have a feeling this won’t be the last tube amp I purchase :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

@nesto I love the design of the LTA models, ideal size for desktop use (mine is already crowded with a computer screen, an integrated amp/DAC, a Mac Mini, a large microphone and the usual artifacts [a dozen pens, maybe half that actually have ink; coffee mugs; adapters; paperwork and jottings]). I didn’t spend much time listening to those on hand at the Tampa show a couple of months ago (I did check out the fully loaded Rupert Neve, and the Benchmark gear). Can you tell me what you liked about the MZ2? (The reviews are pretty stellar).

2 Likes

Hey Steve, it just sounds natural to me and has good sub bass, nice slam with great detail. I haven’t heard many other tube amps so really can’t compare. I’m fairly new to the hobby so I’m coming off a JDS Atom, then SMSL SP200 and can tell you I enjoy the MZ2 the most. I hope this helps you in your journey :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks this thread has helped me clarify my thoughts a good bit! Really appreciate suggestions for some other directions to look, and I like what I see.

2 Likes

Definitely lots of experiences to pull from!

2 Likes

Hello, If you or anyone else is interested, I’m considering selling my mint condition Woo Audio WA33 in black finish.

Thanks!

5 Likes