TruthEar x Crinacle Zero Red

@CarterKeller got his Red on the way. I believe he has another Truthear as well - can’t remember if it’s the Hexa or the Hola. Look forward to his thoughts and seeing if they line up with yours!

Yessir! They’ll be here in a couple weeks. Looks like the orders have been rolling in.

TLDR version on YouTube: TDLR - Truthear x Crinacle ZERO :Red

The Truthear x Crinacle ZERO: Red have been sent to me by Crinacle, or at least I think they have, I will explain more in just a second.

I have not received any specific requests or comments (as I just said, I am not even 100% sure who sent them to me) and I will do my usual best of being as sincere and unbiased as humanly possible.

A quick search shows that the Truthear x Crinacle ZERO: Red are available from Amazon but it seems that the main dealer for these IEMs is Shenzen Audio, therefore, I will leave a link to them via Shenzen Audio in the version of this review published on my blog.

As always, the link is non-affiliate, meaning that I do not receive anything in exchange for clicks of purchases made by following said link.

To avoid being repetetive in my reviews, you can find all the info about how I create the reviews, equipment used, how I receive the products and how to interpret my reviews by visiting: About my reviews

Intro…

As I just said, I think that Crinacle sent these IEMs due to the fact that I was with Crinacle in Munich High End a few weeks ago, when these were officially released, and got to try them (briefly). He asked if I was on the reviewer list for these IEMs and I said that I didn’t think I was. When I got back to my office about 10 days later, the IEMs were waiting for me, so I guess I was either already on the list or Crinacle added me.

Anyhow, on to the IEMs… The Truthear x Crinacle ZERO: Red was referred to as “Project Red” for quite some time and I saw many tweaks to the tuning published over the past months, showing that a lot of thought and work went into them. They are follow up to the orginal Truthear ZERO, which was also tuned by Crinacle, and I am just going to refer to them as the “Red” for the sake of brevity throughout this review.

I have tried a few of the Crinacle collabs over the past couple of years but the Truthear ZERO were not one of them. However, judging by the graph (yes, yes, never judge by the graph alone), I don’t think they would really match my tastes. In the case of the Red, the graph of the final tuning I had seen seemed to fit my preferences much better. I know there have been a lot of reviews released of the Red lately, adding to the hype that had already built up even before it had released, but I have actually managed to avoid reading or watching any of them.

Therefore, other than a brief listen at High End Munich, my only previous knowledge of the Red was the graphs posted by Crinacle on social media, and a few comments from people who visited CanJam New York (where a prerelease version was available).

Presentation…

The anime presence on IEMs that appear on my desk seemed to have died down lately but Crinacle is back and so is the anime :grinning:

The box that the Red arrive in is actually quite discreet and elegant looking, but this is covered by a cardboard sleeve that makes the girl on the front the center of attention. To be honest, it is not something that bothers me on the packaging and, other than a cardboard anime stand type thingy (I can’t think of a better description) included in the box, everything else is more “universal” in its appearance.

Other than the above, inside the box we get the IEMs, the 3.5mm unbalanced cable, 7 sets of tips (3 wide bore silicone, 3 small bore silicone and 1 set of foams), a storage/transport case which is a break from the normal included cases and a 10 Ohm adapter (which we will discuss more in a second).

In general, the packaging and contents are more than satisfactory for a set of IEMs that come in just under the 50€ mark, independent of the fact of anime being your preference or not.

Build and aesthetics…

The Red feature a dual dynamic driver configuration, with 10mm driver for bass and a 7.8mm driver for mids and treble, assembled inside a DLP-3D printed shell. This makes for a very lightweight set of IEMs with a generic triangular shape that, while not the most comfortable IEMs I have every tried, are still rather comfortable for long listening sessions without building up any fatigue from the weight.

The nozzles are rather long and also rather large. They are not as large as those found on something like the B2 Dusk but they are still large enough for me to have issues fitting a lot of my usual preferences for tips. However, as they include a selection of tips, I found that the smaller bored silicone tips (in medium size) worked well enough from me.

The faceplate is a dark red (who would have guessed it would be red?) and has a layered effect to it, mounted on a black semi translucent shell. Personally I don’t think they are the most beautiful IEMs in the world but they are pretty discreet (considering they are red) and look fairly good.

The included cable is nothing special but it does its job and I didn’t find any need to swap it out, which is always a positive.

Sound…

All tracks mentioned are clickable links that allow you to open the reference track in the streaming service of your choice (YouTube, Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, etc.)

As I mentioned a moment ago (depending how fast you read), in the box we also get a 10 Ohm adapter. This is to increase impedance and with it, give the sound an extra bass boost.

Here is my usual graph showing the Red both with and without the adapter, along with my usual preference curve as reference:

You can see from the graph that the adapter does make a difference and, while it may not look like a huge amount on paper, it is certainly noticeable to the ear. Anyone who has followed my reviews over the years will know that I am not one for overly present bass, especially when it is overly present midbass, but I do find that with the boost, the bass is still quite enjoyable as it maintains the bass shelf that Crinacle favours (and I am a fan of), without interfering in the midbass hardly at all.

Saying that, you may already have guessed by the graph that I prefer it without the adapter, being my choice for this review. So, my comments on the Red are without the additional bass but if you would like to know my opinions on it with the bass boost, just add 4dB to the subbass shelf :wink:

You may have also already noticed, by looking at the graph, that the tuning of these IEMs is a great match for my personal preferences. Now, just because something matches my tuning preferences quite closely (on paper) doesn’t mean that I will actually enjoy it. There have been sets that were even closer to my curve than the Red that I didn’t really enjoy. Usually this is due to performance issues. In the case of the Red, with this being a spoiler for the review, I do enjoy it quite a bit as the performance is very good for a set of IEMs coming in at this price point.

Anyway, let’s get on with the review and stop the rambling, as this is already long enough and I haven’t even spoken about the sound yet!

Starting off, as always, with the subbass and my usual “Chameleon” test track, the Red holds up very well to the abusive workout that is this track. Due to the tuning of the lowest ranges and the good performance of the 10mm driver, the Red manages to stay clean and defined even when this test track is trying to push it to its limits.

Is it the best subbass I have ever heard? No, but it is certainly a very good performer and I would say it is maybe the best, or one of the best, that I have heard in the budget range, maybe even from sets costing multiple times more.

Moving into the midbass, this is where I am a fan of Crinacles tuning. Actually, when I first heard the Red in Munich, my first impression was that it has more midbass than other Crin collabs that I have tried in the past. I mentioned this to him and he said that it only seems like it. Now that I have got to spend more time with them, I have to agree with him, the midbass is just as balanced as it usually is on his tunings.

The drop from the subbass to the midbass makes things sound a lot clearer and yet still keeps enough midbass presence for instruments to sound natural in their timbre. Testing “Crazy”, the reverb at the low end of the guitar is just exactly where I like it to be, an effect in the background and not a dominating sound.

While some might feel that the midbass is lacking a little, and maybe it could be the case with some older rock recordings such as “Whole Lotta Love” where the bass benefits from a little extra in the midbass region, I am more than happy with bass guitars, both acoustic and electric, on more modern recordings such as “Back It Up” by Caro Emerald or “Elephants on Ice Skates”, where the bass has plenty of thump to it in the low end, without ever distracting from the higher notes.

In the mid range, the clarity continues, with the bass keeping out of the way. The detail in the mid range is pretty darn good for a set of 50€ IEMs, with vocals and instruments being clearly defined. In the case of acapella recordings, such as “Strange Fruit”, the vocal layers are easily identified and distinguished, without giving the sensation that they are “detached” from each other.

Moving towards the upper mids, there is enough presence to bring voices and other lead instruments forward into the spotlight but without becoming harsh or overly up front. With “Make Some Noise”, a track that I use to see how vocals that have very little presence in the mix perform, I would say that Busta Rhymes voice is just where I would expect it to be on a neutral system. That means that he is placed behind the music, poorly mixed and struggling to break through, which is why I like to use this track as a test for this.

Into the upper ranges, things are still decent, without any sensation that the upper ranges drop off a cliff, giving a fairly good sensation of air and openness. I would say that the treble is the least impressive of the whole set, yet it is still very very good for the price that these IEMs come in at.

Sibilance is around what I would expect for a neutral set of IEMs, with Patricia Barber (on my totally unscientific scale of -12 to +12) coming in at around a 0 or -1 in “Code Cool”. Paul Simon backs up this theory, with “Diamonds on the Soles on her Shoes” still exhibiting a trace of sibilance but being quite listenable.

Soundstage is above average also, with good image placement. The intro of “All Your Love Turned to Passion” shows nice separation between the strikes on the body of the guitar and and the echoes of these, lending to a nice open space for them to fade away into. Ok, these are not open back headphones but, again, they are above the usual average of IEMs.

Conclusion…

I think I have made it clear that the Red are a very good set of IEMs for 50€ and I don’t think I have any doubts about placing them at the top of my recommendation list in the budget category. No, they are not the best IEMs I have ever heard but they are far better than they have any right to be at this price point.

As I have said many times, and shown in the graph above, I am a fan of the tuning that Crinacle has opted for with these IEMs, which, paired with good performance, could only end in positive comments from me. But what about those who like more bass than I do (which, to be honest, is probably the majority)? Well… just plug in the bass boost adapter and enjoy the same performance with some extra rumble in the low end.

I am sure there are going to be plenty of people who don’t end up liking these, as I said, I haven’t read or watched any of the reviews yet, but I am certainly not one of them.

If you want to know what my preferences are in IEMs, then the Truthear x Crinacle ZERO :Red gives you the answer for less than 50€.

As always, this review is also available in Spanish both on my blog (www.achoreviews.com) and on YouTube (Acho Reviews - YouTube)

All FR measurements of IEMs can be viewed and compared on achoreviews.squig.link

All isolation measurements of IEMs can be found on achoreviews.squig.link/isolation

12 Likes

Thank you for posting this! I’m new here, and I was trying to figure out if there was some sort of taboo against criticizing the Reds. Great tuning, but it’s not all about tuning, and maybe Crinacle should’ve diverged from his curve to cover up some of the technical flaws.

I mean, they’re fine, and actually pretty nice bass detail, but the main driver sounds pretty sandpapery. I ended up nerfing the lower treble with tip rolling and some micropore tape over the filter. No regrets and fine option for the price, but the level of attention is a bit odd. We are at peak Crinacle.

For $70, Etys sound a lot better, even if I can’t look at my earholes the same way in the morning.

2 Likes

I think the Red is a fine starter iem. But if you have an iem that you like more and eq just go with that. As far as tuning the red is strong, yet tangles a lot with the stock cable. So it’s market is unique, well-tuned but not technical or well-packaged. Yet for 55 it’s a solid deal, just not something that deserved the immense hype. If you are in the market for a budget iem with insane tuning it’s great at that price. But the nozzle is giant. So like S tier tuning, average technicals and poor packaging. I also don’t like the impedance adapter as that is how the tuning sound right to me. So I need to have this giant stick on the end of my cable. Just not ideal, in some ways I’d just rather eq a more technical iem. Like I don’t reach for it but I own about half a dozen iems.

4 Likes

Y’all regular reviewers have made your comments on the Zero:Red now it’s my turn.

:green_square: Different use case, different ears, different spin :green_square:

So I bought the Truthear Zero:Red on Amazon for $54.99

I got two pair, one for me to check out and one to give to somebody, probably during the upcoming holiday season. As some of you know, I make a habit of dropping nicely done IEMs or cheap headphones on unsuspecting people, often young’uns, but not always. Just this past week I donated some Drop HE-X4 Hifiman planars with an iFi Go-link to our company raffle for Alzheimers. Anyway, that’s the point of why I picked up the Red.

The unboxing experience, sans photos, ya already seen that

:yellow_square: They came, and I finally got around to opening the box :yellow_square:
Nice box, Anime waif on the cover. Open the thing up, and there’s a nice selection of both silli-cone and foam ear tips. The IEMs themselves are pretty good looking, just a bit larger than I expected. The cable is packed separately in a carrying case. An inside box has a warranty card, a “user manual” in very tiny print so you have to squint to see it if you’re an old person like me, probably could be illustrated on the box as the honored great great grandfather of the anime waif. I’m just continuing like this so you get the point about how annoying tiny print manuals really are. and some filter screens in a little pack.
:red_square: Nowhere, not in the manual, or on the Truthear website, could I find any explanation as to what the extra screens are for. :red_square:
By the way, folks there’s no way to color text so I’m calling things out with emojis.

Now for the impressions

:orange_circle: I found the medium tips fit, and wonder of wonders, these IEMs are actually comfortable :orange_circle:
I listened to some music, when I do casual testing, I tend to go to my Chameleon Playlist on Qobuz, which contains not only Trentemøller’s Chameleon, but Boy George’s Karma Chameleon and Chameleon by Herbie Hancock with a few good covers of that. Also Elton John’s and Creedence’s chameleons and a couple of others that are not well known but good to test headphones.

I listened to Qobuz from an iPad Mini 6, through the Luxury & Precision W4 DAC/AMP in NORMAL EQ mode. Single ended. Simple.

And I found the Zero Red to be quite enjoyable. Not fatiguing. Clearly not shouty, Crinnacle got that right. The bass is reasonably tight if a bit on the “fun” emphasized side. Presentation of male vocals was very strong. Perhaps just a bit thin on higher pitched female vocals. There is a hint of air, cymbals are shimmery, but not like on more resolving equipment.

In this price range, I also have and listen to the DUNU Titan S, and I think that the Titans are considerably more resolving and have better soundstage, but their bass is not as exteneded (even though it’s there and not overemphasized). I like the DUNU with classical - they clearly were my choice when listening to Beethoven’s Pastorale (George Szell, Cleveland Symphony Orchestra) but with general pop, I think I’d reach for the Zero:Red – at least in this tier.

If you, like me, want to give away a bit of audio happiness, I think the Zero:Red will fit the bill. The folks I hand these things out to aren’t audiophiles. They’ve usually never heard any headphones but what comes with their phones. Anything we listen to is better than they expect. Just remember that when you give away wired phones, they may need some dongle or adapter to find a place to plug em in. Wires! so old school.

:orange_circle: 030 :orange_circle:

9 Likes