Vioelectric V590

Ever since I heard this at CanJam, I have been really excited about it. I have been impatiently waiting for this to come out and it is finally available for pre-order through Power Holdings Inc! There is a thread about this on head-fi, but Vioelectric finally released an official brochure on it explaining its new features and everything. It has been really hard for me to not buy the V281 and DAC 850 and it is finally paying off, lol.

I was curious if there are any other Vioelectric fans on here and if anyone else has been eyeing this or pre-ordered one. Has anyone else heard it yet?

It looks like a lot of other posts about a specific model have a lot of information about it listed, so I will do that too

Introducing the NEW V590 balanced headphone amplifier, pre amp, and DAC!
-Pre-amplifer
-Balanced Headphone Amp
-AKM-based 32 bit DAC + 32 bit Resampler (PCM & DSD)
-Femto-Clock (standard)
-Remote control (standard)
-256 step relay volume (Optional)

INPUTS

3 analogue inputs: 2 x RCA, 1 x XLR
4 digital inputs: optical, coaxial, AES balanced, USB
USB allows for up to 384 kHz PCM and 512 x DSD

DAC
2 x 32 Bit AK4490 per channel
New 32-bit Resampler with a dynamic range of up to 180 dB

POWER and NOISE
8 dB less noise than the V281
2 x 15 Watt PSU, switchable between 115 and 230V
Gain factor 0 dB unbalanced, 6 dB balanced
Extended pre-gain settings via DIP switches: -18, -12, -6, 0, +6, +12, +18 dB, same for the line out
Pre and post fader now work via the push of a button on the back and not via software control
Max output voltage (balanced output, both channels driven): 32 Volt = 1.8 Watts @ 600 Ohm
Maximum power (balanced output, both channels driven): 5 Watt @ 50 Ohm
Noise -100 dB / THD+N – 102 dB
Output impedance < 0,2 Ohm
Damping factor > 250

DIMENSIONS
(WxHxD) 290mm x 80mm (90 with feet) x 250 mm
Front 8 mm Aluminium sanded, brushed, black anodized, knobs with a with plastic inlay
Case up to 12 mm strong aluminium, brushed and anodized

*All information has been taken from the Power Holdings Inc website. I am in no way affiliated with Power Holdings Inc, Vioelectric, or CMA Audio. I am not responsible for incorrect information.

8 Likes

I know there are a couple of Lake People/Violectric fans here. I’m curious as to what the replacement of the V281 will be. I know they’re moving to the smaller chassis such as on the V590, but it’s difficult to find any information on it.

1 Like

Could this be a Phonitor Killer?

(let the beating begin) :laughing: :rofl:

1 Like

That depends on whom you ask, but it’s interesting that both are German. :thinking:

I think generally speaking, Violectric are warmer amps though both are touted as reference neutral. :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

The pre-gain settings are nice. I have a V220 and it only has -12, -6, 0, +6 and +12. These are really handy with very efficient headphones and I assume IEM’s.

My unit doesn’t have balanced out and that is it’s only fault, IMO.

The V281 is Crazy expensive in Canada, so it will be interesting to see where the new models end up.

So apparently this the V281 replacement and the price is $3,500.00. There will a DAC-less version in the fall.

WAY out of my league.

2 Likes

Would sure like to know more how this compares to a SPL Phonitor x .

Looks like this thread is 2 years dead, but I’m looking at the exact same comparison. I’m currently running an Audeze LCD-4 to a Violectric v850 DAC and a v280 amp and wondering if it’s time to sell them and trade up to a v590, or switch brands and try the Phonitor XE (better DAC than the X). I also recently discovered Lake People came out with an upper echelon brand (Niimbus), but at $6k for just the amp I’d probably have to win the lottery. Maybe I’ll get lucky and catch a demo at a HiFi show some day. Would love if someone has tried both and could compare them.

I believe @Resolve has the Violectric V590 (could be V550)and Phonitor in the studio and could offer a comparison.

From recollection, both the Violectric and SPL were similar with completely black backgrounds with the SPL having the sweet VU meters and the Violectric having a nice knob.

1 Like

I’m not sure about each person’s situation, but if it were me, for planars that need a lot of power, I’d probably go with the vioelectric. For single ended stuff or DD headphones I’d probably go with the SPL.

But in both cases, know that the sound isn’t meaningfully different or better, and reasons to buy should probably have more to do with features, versatility, and aesthetics.

EDIT: I should note - Nimbus may be an exception, since they were deliberately trying to conserve a particular harmonic distortion profile that they liked. So that one may have an interesting tonal effect.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you both for the feedback. I found this absolutely sweet deal on a v590 so I think I’m going to stick with my favorite brand and sell my V850 and V280 to help raise funds for the upgrade.

I wasn’t aware the LCD-4 responded well to EQ’ing or that it was a well known issue that the default tone needed to be EQ’d to sound right. Between the new DAC/amp and a little fun with an EQ I can’t wait to hear what my LCD-4’s sound like.