Vision Ears Custom and Universal IEMs -- Offical Thread

Thank-you for your kind words! Yes I’ve had lots of time on my hands to think this last couple weeks while being stuck by myself over the holidays unable to travel home…glad you enjoyed it. RE the Ely, I can’t recommend it enough…if you’re on Head Fi (and in the US or Canada) you can sign up for one of the tours and hear both of VE’s flagship IEMs.

2 Likes

Thats good to know.

I go back and forth about getting a good pair of IEMs and generally decide to just stay with my headphones. Then I read a review like this and I start thinking again… which is another complement Ito be thrown your way as well.

I relation to your references, I just started watching S2 of The Mandalorian tonight. TBH, I wasnt a big fan of S1 and almost gave up on it but there’s enough buzz about S2 that I thought Id give it another shot, at least for a few episodes.

2 Likes

Nice. The finale of season two was one of the most singularly perfect and most emotionally fulfilling pieces of episodic content I’ve ever experienced. If you don’t know already avoid spoilers at all costs and prepare for something truly great.

Regarding IEMs…portability is key for me and for that reasons IEMs, for the forseeable future anyway, will always be my preference.

1 Like

I have avoided spoilers so far. Ive learned how to avoid them for the most part, can still sneak up on you out of nowhere though. Im going to try and keep an open mind about S2, I am ok with liking it.

I should at some point buy a used pair of IEMS (with new tips), something reputable, and see how I like them and for a reference point. Came close to pulling the trigger on Andros or a U12t on the used boards a few times.

1 Like

Andro and u12t are both solid recs-- u12t is more analytic and Andromeda is more emotionally evocative, so whichever is more in line with your tastes would be a great choice. If you want to go all in for the best though, Elysium all the way :wink:

1 Like

Great review and comparison piece @jrockwell. You have a great passion for iem’s and it shows in your writing. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent review. I prefer descriptive reviews like yours to charts and graphs - although in combination with good descriptions they don’t detract. The logic of the DD for midrange seems right. The only thing that makes me laugh is the company name. Makes me want to prepare a “review” of the Hearing Eyes Ad Nauseum for April 1st.

2 Likes

Thanks for your kind words man…means a lot. Yes the DD mid-range has been an eye-opener for me. Moving forward I’m not sure I’ll be able to bring myself to consider anything less.

1 Like

Make sure share your thoughts once you’ve finished Season 2 of Mando :)…and watch until after the final credits of the last episode.

1 Like

Sure thing. We’ll see how quickly I get through it.

1 Like

Here is a new product from CA that has just been released and especially, due to our previous product preferences, could be an interesting innovation in the in-ear area for both of us.

2 Likes

I saw that! @Gnahra has one and quite likes it. If I wasn’t totally consumed by the Elysium at the moment I’d probably be quite interested. I think my next Campfire IEM will probably be the Dorado 2020…it’s proven very popular with a few guys who I’ve followed the last couple years and may be the perfect bassier compliment to what I have right now. Would love to hear more impressions if you choose to pick one up :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m skeptical about this one - it seems to be taking the shells from the original and combining them with “the internal acoustic chamber design and a bit from the Solaris 2020 with its exceptional drivers.” The quote’s from the product page on Campfire Audio’s website. I suppose the question, then, is whether the larger housing has any effect on the sound vs. the 2020.

I’m not as fussed about CA releasing too many limited editions as other folks are. I take the optimistic view that such experimentation leads to improvements in the standard, general releases. But I wonder if this is just about using up spare parts.

I’d be keen to hear the Dorado 2020, too - it could make for a fun complement to the CA lineup.

The thing I don’t understand is the drivers-- how are the drivers in the 2020 different than the ones in my SE? Nothing in any literature I’ve read to this point suggested that they were different.

Edit: I’m also curious if that 8k peak from the 2020 is still in the LE…though I guess I should stop talking about the Solaris in the VE thread.

1 Like