What are you using to protect your hearing? (Earplug Reviews)

This is a great post. Going to grab some of Etymotics just for protection.

Even though the pictures on the listing are pretty awful, these are some of my favourite ear plugs that I have tried in the last year https://www.amazon.com/Noizezz-Premium-Extreme-Ear-Plugs/dp/B06Y3SSJ28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546039956&sr=8-1&keywords=noizezz

3 Likes

I agree, Taron. For me, these are more comfortable, less visible, and just as protective as the etymotics. Definitely my go-to.

1 Like

This is going to sound really funny and weird, but… I suffer from headaches due to high-pitch noises emitted by coil wines/or same range frequency. Most people cant hear them, I can :frowning: This is really bad specially when working with Wireless AP. Aruba’s old AP are notorious for coil whines and most people didn’t even notice. GPU’s, Water cooling pumps, etc, emit them.

I use this:

I have the older model and it works very well!
Yes, they do not conceal well :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Review for Sensaphonics ER Series Custom Earplugs ($175)

I love this forum topic! As a drummer since 13 years old (and I’m now 34), the thing that saved me were earplugs. Specifically, the Sensaphonics ER Series Custom.

First off, if you haven’t heard of Sensaphonics, well, here you go. Their “ear health” section is definitely worth a read. Dr. Santucci has worked with musicians for years, and as I lived in Chicago, my go-to place for hearing protection since 2009. He works with everyone, gives consultations, and is a master at molds (and will also work w/ your audiologist to have them send your mold). He’s an amazing guy who knows it all when it comes to your tubes (and I think even started offering Telehealth since COVID). I remember he told me Steven Tyler left a voicemail on his phone telling him “Get the donut, not the ribeye!” The guy does IEMs for everyone (and they’re killer).

I’ve had these earplugs for 11 years now. Yes, the same pair! I have a 25 decibel and 15 decibel interchangeable filter. You can still hear someone whisper in your ear, but if you run into loud sounds it filters it out.
For me personally, custom is the way to go. They never feel obtrusive, as a matter of fact I love having them in! I wear them when I go out to see live music, w/ friends in loud bars, and playing drums.
If you don’t want customs, they sell universal ones as well and everything in between (but I can’t recommend customs enough. Game changing, and the $175 is a worthy investment for your hearing health).
I must also shout out one other amazing product I’ve used for 11 years–The Decibel Check. It has an ambient mic so it can check regular noise levels (as so now can an  Watch Series 5), but it’s extra sweet cause you can plug it in your headphone chain and it will tell you the decibel level and if it’s acceptable, and over what period of time. As they would say, “A nifty piece of kit”.
Anyway, as a drummer with the “hearing of an 18 year old never exposed to loud music” (from my audiologist), I’ll be thanking earplugs, Sound Direct EX-29 headphones (for drums) and Sensaphonics for the rest of my life.

6 Likes

The Decibel checker seems very useful indeed. I have looked on the website but get no mention of it or how one would order it either. Great writeup too.

1 Like

Thanks @prfallon!

I visited Sensaphonics website this afternoon and while it’s mentioned on their master price list the link for it just goes to their homepage. I may reach out to them in the next couple days to see what’s up. Would be sad to have it discontinued!
So many uses for it, especially with the ambient mic.

1 Like

You’re probably right about the customs. I’ve had the ER-20s, and had a difficult time taking them out of my ears, given my big ears (see icon in upper left) and big fingers. My wife had to pick at them after the concert…

Those little tabs - never again. Since that experience, I have been buying ones that have a cord attached.

I stick with the classics for general noise exposure. These 3Ms are large enough to seal well, and the soft, resilient, durable foam is a cut above most other disposables. All of the cone/tapered disposables are too small for me.

Yes that’s exactly what’s happening to me. Thanks for your input.

I went with “Mack’s 967 Acoustic Foam Ear Plugs Pack” for heavy metal concerts.

I might have unusual shaped ears, as normal ear plugs & IEM’s just feel horrible in my ears, but these were good.

I can’t believe I didn’t use them sooner for concerts. The concerts I was going to just had everything turned up too loud that everything was overly distorted. Once had these in I could actually appreciate more of the songs and I didn’t wake up with my ears ringing.

If it wasn’t for COVID, I’d have experimented different brands but alas, here we are.

3 Likes

Playing drums I’ve had good results with Alpine MusicSafe and EarPeace HD. Both have switchable filters and - for a drummer, this is important - they reduce loudness enough.

The snare especially is an ear killer, right there in front of your face: BANG! Proper protection is a must.

I just gave my unopened Ety ER20 to my guitarist who thinks they don’t reduce enough at rehearsal. Sounds like not for me then.

2 Likes

I’ve been the lead singer of an active rock band for nine years and have worked in motorsports for 33 years. Severe tinnitus here at age 56.

I like Earasers for plugs. Neuter the high, piercing frequencies without muffling the overall sound.

2 Likes

Advice from a old person that did not know ( back in the 60’s) anything about loud noises and its impact on your hearing as you aged, just suck up your pride and protect your hearing with ear protection of any kind is better than nothing at all.

1 Like