Your Favorite YouTube reviewers

Its true that Zeos doesnt like to come down on something but i can tell from the tone of his review wether he really loves something or feels so-so on it. almost like a grading system lol. He gets really excited about something great or lukewarm for something not that great. yeah i can tell from his review. But he will come down on something if he doesnt like it. for instance the Andover PM50 headphones he really hated lol

1 Like

Howdy!

I usually post my written reviews here first, on the headphones community forums. My video reviews are on the headphone show via YouTube :grin:

8 Likes

Hi @Antpage – I go by Ant too. :slight_smile:

My reviews are mostly written, at www.audiodiscourse.com or on this forum or on the headphones.com main store page’s Reviews section. I mainly write IEM reviews (because people keep sending me those), but occasionally review headphones, amps, dacs and daps too.

I also have a youtube channel at http://youtube.audiodiscourse.com where we mostly have weekly podcasts between a couple of us in USA and a couple in Singapore talking about IEMs and general technical things about headphones/iems. It’s also on spotify.

I did review the Harmonicdyne Helios. I was one of the early pre-release testers and reviewers of that headphone. I personally was not a fan of it, but it’s not bad for its price, and has pretty solid tonality. I didn’t really like the look of it personally and it didn’t go well with my tastes in music.

9 Likes

A lot of the community reviewers post up their vids here including The HEADPHONE Show:

7 Likes

What are peoples thoughts on Guttenberg and Darko as YT reviewers? I havent seen much of their stuff yet but both seem sincere and legitimately into audio.

3 Likes

I really like Steve. He genuinely loves music, and mentions it in every review. Just a sincere guy.

Darko seems cool, and has a similar fondness of music, but seems to review more mainstream products. Steve does too, but he’ll also review and interview people that are pretty legendary like Nelson Pass.

In summation I like Darko, but I’m a fan of Steve’s. :laughing:

6 Likes

I got to talk to Steve at one of the RMAF shows. Super nice guy.

I think the thing to keep in mind with his reviews is that he is primarily a high end 2 channel and vinal guy. As such, his perspective on gear comes from that. When he reviews headphone stuff, it’s kind of like an F-16 pilot reviewing consumer cars. Sure, it can do 0 to 60 MPH in 3.1 seconds, but can it do Mach 2 and pull 9G? Hopefully you know what I mean.

Darko is hit and miss with me. He’s a Brit, and there is only one Brit who’s ears I trust. Darko isn’t him.

7 Likes

I’m also a fan of Steve, especially his discussions and recommendations for music. He used to be in the industry and then sold high end stereo, so he has gotten his ears on a lot of music and equipment - credible.

Darko probably has the best video production, having a dedicated team. Sometimes he can come across as a bit smug.

While I refer to them, I probably regard these ears and information a tier higher: British Audiophile, Hans Beekhuyzen, Zero Fidelity, Thomas and Stereo, Next Best Thing.

New Record Day and Andrew Robinson get their hands on a lot of gear but not on my favorites, although recent NRD content seems to be improving.

4 Likes

To add one I haven’t seen in this thread yet: Passion for Sound

2 Likes

Good call. We must not ignore our friends from the southern hemisphere.

1 Like

Not a headphone reviewer, but Tharbamar is one of the few I genuinely enjoy and trust. I love his energy and detail, he is always helpful (he focuses on loudspeaker related gear)

Darko is the most entertaining IMO, he is a pretty good at speech. He does have a dedicated team… but how expensive is an investment for a damn camera tripod/slider/gimbal/stabilizer? It always annoyed me when they did sliding shots that the camera would have the handheld shakiness, but that’s beyond the content itself - just something I notice because I enjoy high quality production.

everydaylistening.net has some of the best photography, but he doesn’t seem to be using reference tracks in his reviews, it’s rather the usual “poetry”

Joshua Valor is the most enjoyable when it comes to production and video quality, like his stuff is “next level”. He is also quite entertaining.

I know there is one guy who actually uses pretty accurate reference tracks to explain what he is hearing… but my bad memory is not helping me remember who exactly that is. Those ones are rare

An original approach. Props. https://youtu.be/L--Zdi8vDEA?t=321

2 Likes

So the thoughts about Darko and Steve actually fall in line with mine as well. Just wanted to get other opinions just to make sure I was not off.

Steve is Steve, good to watch but perhaps not as useful for headphones. I’d buy him a beer or whatever he drinks.

Darko, I always get the idea he is trying to sell me something rather than just reviewing it. Maybe Im off base here.

Next Best Thing is really good, a lot of 2 channel and high end stuff as the main guy works at a high end audio shop in Markham (around Toronto). I think he is leaving to go back to school so hard to say where that channel goes.

Ive seen Andrew Robinson come up on my YT recommends, havent really watched any of his stuff.

Josh Valour, I think he means well and I actually like him but Im just not convinced he knows what he is hearing. I know its an odd thing to say but I dont trust his ear. Its always a bit worrying to me when an audio YT channel gets seemingly more props for production values then the quality of the audio review. He may be getting better with the audio portion, I still watch him here and there.

DMS is starting to put out more stuff and seems to have a bit more confidence or what have you about him, I like his reviews. Zeos is Zeos, a content machine with some basis in audio - still can be funny and is good background noise, sometimes reviews some neat little gadgets.

The only reviewer who I still watch pretty faithfully is @Resolve. I was watching him before I joined the forum and he quickly became one of my favourites.

7 Likes

I watch them all :rofl:

Steve is great and John Darko is not just well produced, but also quite informative on the Roon, general streamer topics and so on. I give him the living in Berlin bonus, I guess.

Josh V. somehow lost me in the last months as viewer.

Next best thing is great for DACs and if one is into 2 channel stereo

Andrew Robinsons clips are nice

it´s all mostly non review and more selling stuff, though it´s nice to have a look on it.

10 Likes

With audiophile stuff, I started with Zeos – excluding the PRO (studio) knowledge acquired from a previous hobby. He’s still my favorite, entertainment-wise. I like him even more after I developed the antibodies. Used to have anxiety attacks after some specific reviews. All in the past. Now I help echoing jokes over hype-trains. :rofl:

Content-wise – specifically to technically focused videos – my favorites are Hans Beekhuyzen and Currawong.

5 Likes

For vintage gear, I like this channel and would want to grab beers with him: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7kMqpL7_dqLvOnNK6rkJNA/videos

To clarify, the reviewers I listed in my earlier post were for speakers and electronics, not headphones.

2 Likes

I do enjoy watching Darko, Guttenberg, Resolve, Currawong, Hans, DMS, JV, Passion for Sound, The Hobbyist Show (because I was on the round table stream) and many others. I have lost interest in Z as time has passed for many reasons.

I have a bias for this guy for some reason, not sure why but he seems like a real honest and humble dude.

9 Likes

I like that guy too. He talks about coffee in most videos, so its like two reviews in one.

4 Likes

You mean the twin brother of @Metal571? :wink:

[Wink, for humor impaired.]

3 Likes

FYI Crinacle has a new YouTube channel:

Poor guy. Not sure if posting to this old topic is visible enough, but it’s a start.

4 Likes