Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier - Official Thread

Just spent a little while playing with this in earnest, though I’ll want to spend more time with it, and larger array of interestingly-panned tracks, to say more.

But …

It very definitely changes the perceived width of the stereo image. Turning the “Stereo Base” knob to the right makes the image wider, to the left, narrower, with the left-most position resulting in pure mono reproduction.

It is clearly not working the way conventional crossfeed does (nor is it described as such).

If you engage crossfeed on a Chord DAC, the RME ADI-2 DAC/Pro units, or on a number of analog implementations in various amplifiers, the effect is different. Those, generally, work by feeding an attenuated, time-delayed, and FR shifted (not always all three) signal from Left to Right, and Right to Left. This results in less of a two or three blob presentation with hard-panned recordings (e.g. early Beatles stuff).

On the HM1, it is isolating the difference between what’s centered and what is Left or Right, and then either simply attenuating or boosting it relative to the center. It’s a more immediately noticeable effect than “traditional cross-feed”. At the same time, the settings are opposite to what you might expect for some cases.

For hard-panned content, you wind up dialing DOWN the setting to reduce that effect, rather than up. Increasing it just makes the hard-panning more obvious.

11 Likes

Beautiful piece of gear! Best of luck with it and please keep the listening impressions coming. :blush:

Hi Ian. Boy, for such a short amount of time you’ve managed to already give me a good idea how the Crossfeed shelf roll off works with this amp.
You are wonderfully descriptive and I greatly appreciate you responding back to me. Also, at the moment I recently bought and received the KANN Max DAP from A&K and I’ve been experimenting with its built in Crossfeed option and I have to say I quite like it, but of course it is only useful with certain types of recordings.
Anyhow. The way you’ve described the way the ZAHL Crossfeed works sounds more sophisticated than what I am experiencing simply out of my DAP.

Overall. This amp really does sound like it is a remarkable beast. May very well be a solid state end game.

Thanks again, Ian and of course a big congrats on such a terrific purchase.
Look forward to hearing more impressions.
Sounds like you may have a Eureka moment coming very soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

… and the booty:

18 Likes

I’ve shared some initial impressions here!

15 Likes

Nice write up!

Looking forward to seeing your measurements of the unit as well. Not that I imagine you’ll want to stop listening with the thing anytime soon to take the time to do that!

I stuck mine on the APx555 very briefly today. I wasn’t being very disciplined; just wanted to get an idea of its rough positioning (objectively) relative to its specs and what else is out there and, more interestingly (for me) whether the measurements would show anything that might correlate to what I hear between “Class A” and “Class A Servo” mode*.

Hope you’re enjoying yours as much as I am mine!

Fantastic piece of kit …

*I believe they do. Though of course it’s just a correlation, not necessarily causation or even necessarily related to the measured deltas at all.

9 Likes

Ive not measured mine yet but will be soon. I always like to listen for a fair bit and get subjective impressions down before measuring so that the measurements dont bias what im hearing.

I am quite curious about the performance in servo mode. Specifically because as far as im aware, Zahl uses an Apx525, and the spec they list for THD+N on the HM1 is right at the limit of the Apx525 itself.

Im curious to see how it does on the 555.

Ill probably measure tomorrow i think. Ive spent quite a lot of time with the HM1 already especially given as my friend Dan received the first US unit back in September and we had it at the house for the few days before Canjam SoCal.

Nice to finally have it here at home though and damn am I loving it

9 Likes

Yup. Baby got back. :crazy_face:

What’s the cable you’re using with the Sus in those pictures?

Great write-up. That stereo base adjustment is special. I heard this at CanJam London, but had no idea about Zahl or what this amp was at the time. The fact this is all analogue just adds to the to the feeling this amp will be legendary.

1 Like

Just some unboxing photos. I got HM-1 hooked up last night and haven’t had nearly enough time to listen yet. But it didn’t take much to recognize that this is among the most unforced, detailed and clear chains I’ve ever heard.

[EDITED - order was jumbled on upload :slight_smile:]

21 Likes

When you get time could you please compare the HM1 to the GSX Mini? Hopefully with easier to drive headphones than the Susvara. Thanks!

2 Likes

Ok so I’ll have a full measurement post shortly but here’s a few tidbits

First thing is some good news and bad news.

The bad news?
The specs for the amp are wrong.

The good news?
It performs quite a bit better than the spec says.

For example Spec says that when outputting 2W @ 30 Ohm it gets about -105dB THD+N, I’m getting about -114dB

Doing a 4V in 4V unity gain test THD+N is 111dB or so. This amp does not seem to care what you load it with, it shrugs off high impedance loads even at high output as shown above. And the limitation in performance is usually just what voltage you’re actually outputting.

Swapping to ‘Class A’ / No Feedback mode, we see some pretty amazing performance for a zero-feedback design, and a nice, 2nd order dominant, descending harmonic (almost single-ended-triode like) structure.

Though worth noting that in no-feedback mode, distortion will increase more with more demanding loads than when feedback is enabled.

EQ:
The EQ settings are as shown below, shelves with upto +/- 5dB
I quite like that the bass shelf does not adjust stuff above 100hz much, I personally find that some bass shelf EQs extend too far and bloat things when you use them, I don’t get that here:

Left/Right Balance:
The Left/Right balance adjustment adjusts balance by 0.4dB each time. Every notch to the left will increase L-Channel volume by 0.2dB and reduce R-Channel volume by 0.2dB for example. This is nice because it’s really fine grained. If you have some enormous channel imbalance it’s not going to fix it, but this wasn’t meant to. The controls on this amp are meant as small, fine tuning adjustments to make a mix perfect, not to correct larger inherent issues with your setup or hearing.

Stereo Base Adjustment:
The stereo base adjustment is the most interesting thing about this amp for sure.

For context, many amps (and some DACs/software) have a feature called ‘crossfeed’. This feeds some of the left channel audio into the right channel at a lower level and with a slight delay. This is aiming to sort of emulate the effect of listening to a pair of speakers.
This is also done with a frequency dependent curve. So lower frequencies are fed into the other channel louder than higher frequencies for example.

Secondly, in production and mastering there is a technique called mid/side processing, which looks at what content of the signal in the left and right channels are different, and what is similar.
Similar content is treated as a ‘mid’ channel, with content only existing in the left or right channels alone being treated as the left and right ‘side’ channels.

The width of the stereo image can be adjusted by increasing the amplitude of only the differences. This keeps centred stuff as is but widens the perceived stereo image.

I assumed that the HM1 was doing this. It’d be pretty impressive on its own given as it’s done entirely in the analog domain with no digital processing…but it turns out the implementation is even more clever than that.

The HM1 is actually combining mid/side processing and crossfeed in a very unique way.
It first performs mid/side separation to separate content that is similar vs different. Then adjusts the amplitude of the differences as with normal stereo image adjustment, but ALSO applies some crossfeed, though only to the differences!
I’ve not seen a crossfeed implementation that follows a mid/side comparator like this. And the effect of this is that you have both an increase in width AND depth of the soundstage, but without any smearing or messing with centred content.
No wonder this adjustment sounds so good…

We can actually show this with a specially crafted test.
First, I created an audio file where the right channel is playing a 100hz and 1khz tone, and the left channel is playing a 1khz and 5khz tone.

So the 1khz tone is playing in both channels, but the other two are playing only in the left or right.

Left channel:

Right channel:

You can see some small amount of the 3rd tone in each just cause crosstalk is around -90dB or so (sort of to be expected when there’s a channel comparison circuit like this in use, still very low and almost at the point where a 16 bit file couldn’t show that content anyway). So don’t worry about that.

But now, let’s look at what happens when we use the stereo base adjustment knob.

Unaltered:

Stereo base adjustment turned up:

Note the following:

1. the 100hz and 5khz tones are now a couple dB louder than the 1khz tones. Meaning the differences have been amplified but similar/centred content has been left untouched.

2. Some of the 100hz tone from the right channel has been fed through to the left and some of the 5khz tone from the left channel has been fed through to the right.

3. Because the 1khz tone has not increased in level at ALL (checked with a more precise method than just looking at an FFT), we can also conclude that not only has the 1khz content not been affected by the mid/side level adjustment, but it also has not been affected by crossfeed as this would result in a small increase in level due to the addition of the crossfed signal.

This combination of using mid/side stereo adjustment, AND then crossfeed but only on the side-signals is really cool and if you get a chance to listen to the HM1, I strongly recommend doing so. This is the best ‘spatial adjustment’ I’ve heard, and makes normal crossfeed implementations sound like outright gimmicks.

22 Likes

Awesome job, as always!

Numbers are similar to mine; within run-to-run and environmental variations - mine were rushed so I wasn’t up for trusting them initially. Particularly with them beating spec (and very significantly so in non-servo mode). That’s always nice.

I suspect the dominant 2nd harmonic in non-servo mode, while not enough to produce an overt tube-like coloration, is the reason for the slightly richer presentation in non-servo mode.

The “Sound Base” function is a lot more interesting, and useful, than most typical “crossfeed” systems. I get what those other systems are trying to do and why, but most of them just tend to “blur” the image, screw up the frequency response, and often impair resolution.

For a really pronounced example of the effect of the Sound Base setting, the track: Oxymore (Binaural Headphone Mix) - Jean-Michel Jarre, is worth a try.

6 Likes

Possibly, but it’s only like that at higher output levels. Once you go to normal headphone listening levels like 700mV and below it’s either roughly equal or 2nd order dominant again. (One of the reasons I personally hate testing 4V unity gain. It’s just so unapplicable to real world listening and behaviour here often differs from behaviour at real world listening levels. But I keep it just as a basic benchmark and to allow for that result at least to be able to be compared to ASR.

IMO the 700mV ish level is much more useful though.

Absolutely, it’s my favourite thing about this so far.
I’ve never been a fan of any crossfeed implementation I’ve tried before. They always just sounded wrong, and I only used them to make really hardpanned stuff listenable.

But the HM1 I find myself using the soundstage adjustment frequently. It’s just so well done!

7 Likes

Also, bonus is that the sound adjustments are applied to preamp outs. So you can use the soundstage adjustment etc with the HM1 feeding a tube amp for example too.

6 Likes

Yeah … that would nobble that theory then!

Totally agree.

I’ve had quite a bit of fun, and off, measuring some of ASR’s “favorite brand”'s gear at more realistic levels, and at frequencies other than 1kHz, and the results there are a lot less impressive.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s annoying.
I mean, there is no ‘correct’ level to test stuff with, because everyone’s situation is going to be different, but for me it makes sense to at least test at a level that is somewhat representative.

I personally went with 700mV simply because it’s a level that will get a popular headphone with an impedance close to 32 Ohms (The Hifiman Arya) to just over 100dB. So it seemed like an ok upper margin of what people might be listening at.
In hindsight I probably would have gone for 775mV so that it could be exactly 0dBu but nvm.

Then I also do 50mV to give a reasonable level for what IEMs might be listened with. (Also Amir already did 50mV SNR testing so it made sense to use that value so that stuff could be compared).

But testing headphone amps at >4V? Seems kinda crazy.
I mean, it’s good if an amp is able to perform well at higher levels, there are some situations where you do need a ton of either voltage alone or power itself. But I’m MUCH more interested in how an amp performs with the vast majority of headphones instead of the one or two super high impedance, low sensitivity cans that might need that level of voltage.

4 Likes

Today my distributor in Germany let me know that my unit is finally waiting for shipment and should hopefully be arriving later this week or next week here in Switzerland :smiley:
After waiting for the amp since May and reading all the positive impressions I couldn’t be more exited to finally listen to it myself.

A special thanks to @Torq and @GoldenSound for sharing your detailed first impressions, measurements and insights. :clap:

Looking forward to reading more impressions from everyone. I’ll share some as soon as I have my unit here and was able to collect some first impressions :+1:

7 Likes

@Torq @GoldenSound

What would you say is a comparable amplifier from a pure sound quality performance perspective to the Zahl ignoring price and the extra features?

Also @GoldenSound ?