ZMF Auteur over-ear Headphones - Official Thread

I recently got a Wenge Auteur with flat top sliders but it’s the standard aluminum chassis. I think Zach stopped using the rounded sliders on the Auteur awhile back. I personally love the rounded sliders, and wish mind had come with them. I had a Teak Auteur from when it was first released and that had the round sliders. It’s such a small thing but I just loved how it looked with those sliders. @zach915m any comment on the Auteur sliders, and if you stopped using the rounded, or if they’re on request still?

2 Likes

This is one of the nicest I’ve seen yet - just stunning! Enjoy.

1 Like

When I heard last year that Zach was going to release a LTD Auteur in Wenge I immediately got in line for one. Got my pair in Nov 2020.

I specifically got this Auteur because I love the combination of dark wood and brass.
This is: Auteur Wenge, Mg chassis, suede strap, brass details. 560 grams.

They sound neutral, with just enough warmth. Well extended without sounding bloated or harsh. Sound stage is wide left to right, but not as 360 as something like a VO/VC. They excel with the most natural timbre I have heard out of a pair of headphones. On some SS amps I find that they sound too polite, on my tube amps they come alive much more. They are true all-rounder headphones.

16 Likes

Bifrost 2 > SW51+ > Auteur this is the Crossfit of chains all I want to do is be the annoying guy that only talks about the timbre of this headphone

one day later: headphones get better than this? for serious? i am having a hard time imagining this.

6 Likes

Having the same chain as you, it’s good to hear this. I’m liking my VO from this setup; I’d be interested in checking out an Auteur with it, too, now. Thanks!

5 Likes

I’m listening to the exact same chain right now. I go back and forth between the SW51+ and Quicksilver, but the SW51+ was overdue for some attention today.

Are you using the High-Z output with your Auteurs? Also, are you using the stock tubes or have you rolled in something else? I have some RFT EF184 tubes in mine and like them as much or more than the stock tubes.

3 Likes

I’m using High-Z and stock tubes. I have some mazda ef812 tubes I want to try at some point but I just got my SW51+ and am going to appreciate stock for a bit for now.

3 Likes

Same chain here and really love this combo! Glad there are more and more ppl enjoying this chain. It has stopped me from chasing anything else for awhile.

I settled on using Mullard mesh tube but the stock tube is really sweet also.

I recently got an MZ2, but I think I like the SW51+ more with the Auteur.

5 Likes

You can’t go wrong with the stock tubes. I even got a a few extra stock tubes set aside. If I had gotten the SW51+ first, I doubt I would have felt the need to get the Quicksilver. Now I’ve got two great tube amps and only one pair of ears. #firstworldproblems

3 Likes

It’s amazing example of synergy that you consider the SW51+/Auteur combo preferable to the MZ2/Auteur. That also speaks volumes to how much of a bargain this little amp is!

4 Likes

Well it’s official, I’ve sold my VC’s. My two Auteurs are my only remaining ZMFs. No complaints from me though! Call me crazy, but I may be favoring the Ash set over the Blackwoods. It certainly helps that they’re 120 grams lighter.

I might also prefer the sound of the Ash set with Eikon Suede pads to the Blackwood with Auteur Lambskin pads. I tried the Eikon Suedes on the Blackwood set and thought it darkened the sound a little too much. The Eikon Suedes complement the slightly brighter Ash set perfectly though.

10 Likes

I’d love to read a comparison between your two Auteurs, if you wouldn’t mind, please?

1 Like

I’ll try my hand at a quick rundown of the differences I heard. Please keep in mind that I never did a direct comparison because I use the same 2K Copper cable with both headphones, and it’s a bit of a hassle to constantly switch back and forth. In the end, I listened to one headphone one night and the other one the next night. To add to the variables in play, I also did some pad rolling with both sets to see what I preferred.

As a baseline, I tried both the Ash and Blackwood with Lambskin Perforated Auteur pads first. I’m going to compare the headphones with the stock pads installed in order to limit the variables in play. Full disclaimer, I prefer the Ash set with the Eikon Suedes and the Blackwood set the stock Auteur Lambskins.

Ok, with that out of the way, let me give my impressions of the two Auteurs. First things first, these differences that I’m going to try to describe are very small. You will never think, “This sounds like a completely different headphone!” when you switch from one Auteur to the other. That being said, Blackwood is so dense that it does affect the bass impact, transient speed and overall tone. You have to be listening for it, but the differences are there. Overall, the Blackwood set sounds a little quicker and darker. The Ash set sound a littler slower and more relaxed. You seem to get longer decay with the softer wood. I’m personally a fan of this as I listen to a lot of acoustic and vocal-driven music. That might be the reason that I find myself gravitating to the Ash set over the Blackwood.

Both of my Auteurs are beautiful examples of their respective wood. I know I can’t keep them both indefinitely, but every time I’m listening to one of them I’m forced to admire the other one on the headphone stand. It makes for a very difficult decision!

I’ve said it before, but follow Zach’s advice and purchase based on the type of wood you like. The sound differences are real but shouldn’t be the main factor in a purchasing decision. I personally think pad choice makes a bigger difference than wood choice.

I do want to mention that weight should also be considered when making a decision. I find the Ash set (503g) much more comfortable over a long listening session versus the Blackwood set (629g). I have a Pilot Pad and a Co-Pilot Pad, which do help on the heavier Blackwood set. I prefer no extra pad on the Ash set though. I would like to try out the new Crescent Strap once it’s available for purchase to see how it compares.

8 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve used my ZMF Auteur Teaks.
Such a chill sound.

10 Likes

What amp you have those plugged into @Den-Fi ?

The Eddie Current Studio B.

10 Likes

Nice pic - I’ve got one of those EC’s! Just recently got new WE 300B tubes for it, too, and it sounds super. I know this is an Auteur thread, but I’ve got VO’s, and I’m actually going to be selling those - got too many headphones!

Ugh, I know the feeling. Even if I sold all but ones I wanted to keep for either 1. being super good or 2. known benchmarks, the # is still high.

How do you like those new WE 300Bs? It’s between them and the Elrogs for me but I’ve been waiting to hear some feedback.

Hi Den - I like them a LOT! I replaced JJ’s, which replaced Gold Lions. I’ve no doubt I could have gotten some I’d have liked just as much for less, but I just figured I’ll go with the WE’s - I knew they’d be excellent and they’ve got a 5-year warranty! And they’re still just half as much as those Takahashi or whatever those Japanese tubes are… Good luck in finding the right ones for you!

1 Like

I love the retro style BA chassis. I have this amp in the newer layout which came first.

1 Like