ZMF Pendant - Tube Headphone Amplifier - Official Thread

It wasn’t always black. He had to start with “Paint it Black”. Did you not read his post!?

2 Likes

It was always black. ; ) it just inspired me to play “Paint it Black”. Almost went with Man in Black.

2 Likes

Isn’t that supposed to be a very unsabre like sabre DAC?

2 Likes

Yes.

I don’t like Sabre DACs, honestly. The Sabre bite gets to me. It’s not obviously apparent it’s there, but it’s there.
I would finish an 8 to 10 hour work day with a headache. (Listening to headphones while I do scripting or SQL stuff for 6 hours of a work day is something I miss.) It wasn’t until I changed to a Schiit MB DAC did the headaches stop, and it dawned on me… it wasn’t just work causing it.

Anyway, that’s absent in the Matrix. I really liked the Matrix. It’s pretty unique. It’s hard to justify $2K to a lot of people for a DAC, but the Yggy, Sonnet Morpheus, and Matrix Sabre Pro would in my top 5 of the price tier. Wish I could get my hands on a fully kitted out Holo Spring, just to know.

10 Likes

Yeah, @ProfFalkin is right. Which makes it the Sabre dac.

I think Audioquest did a really good job with their DFC and the implementation of the slow roll-off filter that curbs the “bite” that Prof’ mentioned.

Depending on the next couple of weeks, I’ll be picking up a Multibit (Bifrost 2), but the Matrix Sabre Pro is my top “wishlist” pick.

4 Likes

It does seem to be a popular higher end dac. I initially didnt even bother looking at it because, well… sabre. I’ll see what I can find review wise on it just to educate myself more but I think 2K is more than I want to spend on a DAC currently. I am going to BF2 as my next DAC upgrade but maybe something to keep in mind as a wish list such as what @ValentineLuke is doing.

4 Likes

Great photos. Yeah while I appreciate the custom wood design, I also really like the all black version. That’s the one I’ve been eyeing as well. How have you found it with those planars?

3 Likes

It sounds fantastic with HE-1000 SE and RAD-0. I was planing to pull out the LCD-4 today to give them a spin.

Greg

5 Likes

Just got my pendant delivered earlier today. Wood is Red Heart. Have only listened to it so far with the Verite and WOW. Can’t wait try out the Aeolus and Auteur with it. Looking forward to messing with some of the vintage tubes as well.

19 Likes

Classy!

And gorgeous!

Still deciding on what wood I want my Pendant in …

7 Likes

Thank you! Almost all of my other gear is black so really wanted something that would pop against it. I agree that it is tough to decide what chassis to get, they are look outstanding!

3 Likes

I have a board of Bolivian rosewood I can’t seem to find a purpose for.

Legally purchased before the embargo due to sustainability.

And if that doesn’t float your boat, check these out. https://gobywalnut.com/collections/shorts

5 Likes

12 Likes

That’s purdy…

2 Likes

That should match your ZMFs nicely. Very good.

1 Like

To pull this thread over here so Pendant user can also talk about tubes
@rrwwss52 Robert Asked about running 12AV7 and 12AT7 in the amp

I have one of these tubes today 12AT7 which i normally run in Spring Reverb circuit, I can check out

I just purchase these tubes to follow up with Robert. .

Now our I was asked about two tubes from @rrwwss52

1960’s Sylvania Black Plate 12AV7

Matching Pair 1950’s RCA Black Plate 5963 at Reverb

Russia 6P14P-K EL84 6BQ5 Tubes Picked up at Reverb

3 Likes

In Low-Z & High-Z, the LCD-4 and Qutest I am stepping off into the metaphysical world of The Doors.

• Alabama Song,
  • LA Women
  • Rider on the Storm
  • Break on Through
  • Back Door Man
  • Road House Blues
  • Strange Day
  • Peace Frog
  • Spanish Caverns
  • When the Music is Over
  • The End.

I was just getting lost Jim Vocals, Ray on keys, Robby on Guitar and Bass, and John holding time on drums.

Finishing the set sliding on down with David Bowie’s Space Oddity
I just need a little more Doors, “Waiting for the Sun” as we wait for a break to sparkle a ray of sunlight.

LCD-4 is finally happy, in HI-Z you wind it up to be a “face melter”.

So it seems we are “Back In Black”

And may we send Covid-19 onto Highway to Hell

6 Likes

ZMF + ZMF+ Qutest with Bill Withers ( RIP ). much respect…

• Heartbreak Road
  • Lean on me
  • Use me
  • Grandma’s hand
  • Ain’t No Sunshine

Verte High Z into Pendant with Chord Qutest

“Jane Says”. bring delicious musical detail, stand out rich acoustic guitar with the Vertie and Pendent.

Fuzz tone wash over you with “Spirit in the Sky” Norman Greenbaum

Angelic vocal wash over you with “Holocene” Ben Iver

" Burning Down the House" Peter Gabriel

Realy open up the Vertie up in the sound stage, the bass is even more hard-hitting with speed and clarity.

UPDATE

@rrwwss52 @BondDaBoom

Well, it was a happy day the postman dropped off some wonderful tubes for the Pendent.

Loaded in RCA 5963 in-lieu-of 12X7 Baldwin and Pair of match 6P14P-K Tubes. It lowered the noise floor on the HighZ Channel to nice background after pulling the Baldwins Tubes that were loaded.

I am "Back in Black" - AC/DC

Just loving this amp with the Vérité. Now I would love to hear the Susvara and Utopia with it.

I might roll into the Old Stock Sylvania 12AV7, Tong-Sol 12AX7 and JJ 12AX7 latter to see how the pre-amp is behaving. But it to much fun in this config.
I live you with a track from Man in Black

11 Likes

I have no clue about tube buying. I see different tube model numbers that work. I’m left confused!

1 Like

I rolled the dice on this pair of 6P14P-K Tubes, but I just picked two more pair as a backup. $33 a set.

Decided to break they tubes-in with few tunes of my youth…

Starting with New Order, just beautifully rendered,

The Cure

The Smiths

Violent Femmes

Focal Stelia in Low Z also very sonically rich experiance, but prefer the GS-X Mini with these cans

The Clash

Ramones
*Blitzkrieg Bop

Pink Floyd

• Run Like Hell
  • Hey You
  • Mother

Foreigner

• Juke Box Here
  • Urgent

Police

• Walking On The Moon