ZMF Vérité - Open-Back Dynamic Headphone - Official Thread

I like that stand :wink: seems shady though…like it has a dark side :wink: :laughing:

2 Likes

Of course … it’d been hanging out with you … :crazy_face:

The distinct light/dark split is very cool … and super useful for getting good contrasts with different headphone designs/finishes.

I’ve got three of the Katalox buggers now … my original which is almost all dark, the one you had, and a third that’s very close to the one originally pictured on the ZMF site.

1 Like

For a bit of fun, here’s what my Cocobolos would have looked like had I gone with polished steel hardware instead of copper (which was my initial though, until I saw pictures of the copper and learned that it was untreated):

5 Likes

The copper looks really sharp. Good choice.

1 Like

Copper tarnish can get ugly and smear. Take a look at this FB group for doing your own patina and seal. Mostly vaping tubes but quite a bit of artwork and excellent guides. Those do look terrific…

1 Like

Can’t view it, since it’s Facebook and I don’t go there, but I don’t personally plan on “doing” anything to the copper. It can do it’s thing naturally and if I like it, I’ll leave it like that, and if not, I’ll polish it up again and keep it bright.

I’m sure others will find it interesting, however.

2 Likes

I’m in concurrence with leaving it to naturally patina…

1 Like

As you’ve seen, in the last few days, the copper grilles and rods on my Cocobolo Vérité are darkening nicely. No signs of which color they’re going to go, just darker and less “gloss” … but making for an interesting contrast with the vibrant, high-contrast, wood/grain on the cups!

And, since I am still in back-and-forth with Zach over what wood to build my Vérité Closed set in, I am spending most of my listening time with the open-back version. With the recently-arrived MySphere 3.2 getting most of the rest of my attention.

No, I haven’t lost interest in the SR1a … just the last week or so has been more biased towards listening situations in which I am not at my primary rig, so portable/conventional sources/amps have been my “go to”.

Anyway, hopefully I’ll settle on a wood for my Vérité Closed by mid-week and can get a formal order in … as I’d love to have them for a week of dedicated eating and listening over thanksgiving!

3 Likes

Tried to get a little bit better photo of my Verites.

11 Likes

I like the new box and burned in ZMF logo!! Oh…and the headphones are pretty as well :wink:

5 Likes

Lol, the box is just as nice as the headphones!..well…almost.

4 Likes

I just want to say that Zach & Bevin are wonderful. I asked them about their Universal Perforated Suede pads a while back and the version they sent me didn’t sound quite as good as the older version (lighter shade of black), and if they ever get it back in stock, I’d like to buy one. They ended up sending me one they found for free. And it has made my Verite listening experience even better, as I really, really love the way the perf suede sounds with the Verite – a little more neutral sound than the other pads I’ve tried.

Anyway, congrats @ufospls2 for the new purchase. They look marvelous. I’m jealous.

6 Likes

Considering the ZMF Verite. As a long time HD800S user, I would need suede pads because that is what I am used to. I don’t like the feel of leather. Are the standard Universe suede pads angled or would I have to specify that is my desire on ordering?

Since the Verites weigh about 100 grams more than the HD800S any comments on long term comfort? I consider my head size average and can wear the HD800S all day, no problems with sweaty ears or pressure points. At the cost I need to make sure they would be comfortable for me before I place an order. Thanks for the input.

1 Like

Yep, ask Zach which pads he would recommend in the suede line of pads to best achieve the sound you want. He knows what’s what. I think you can then ask him to include those in your order. While you may be used to suede, I’d be a proponent of at least trying and acclimatizing to the leather pads. The sound is worth it.

As for weight, I don’t think anyone would argue much about them being comfortable for long sittings. I recently binge watched the entire season 4 of the Expanse with the Verite, with the occasional brake between episodes. No issues at all.

5 Likes

Have you tried “Tuba” amplifier with Verite?

Hagerman Audio Labs “Tuba”

I have got Monolith THX AAA 887 Headphone Amplifier - Official Thread I wonder if “Tuba” or some other tube amplifier would sound better.

The Expanse binge brother! I just did season 3 and four over the past two days! Lol gotta love that Hard Sci-Fi!

1 Like

started season 4 yesterday and it rocks :slight_smile:
however with the Elegia

2 Likes

I did an Expanse Season 4 binge last weekend. It was great. Too short!

(with verite headphones in tow)

2 Likes

I know!!! 10 episodes?! Too short. But, it probably made sense to stop the season there, storyline wise.

Amazon did make a mistake though. What’s the one thing you DON’T do with addicts? Give them the whole kilo of coke all at once, and tell them to pace themselves. If they had released 2 episodes a week, I’d have something to look forward to for 5 weeks, and something to talk about with my SciFi buddies each week. But no. Now I’m almost done with my second binge, and I’m starting to get the shakes from withdrawal. I need my fix damnit!

Anyway… Verite. Sounds great. Carry on.

Twitch

3 Likes

Any recommendations for a ~2000$ headphone to compliment with Verite Open in particularly on different sound signature?

1 Like