64 Audio - Official Thread

No, I only hear my heartbeat with the ciem’s in. But thanks for the advice.

I think that I have diagnosed the problem for me, and perhaps for others who have problems with custom item fitting. I believe that when they inject the silicone under a certain amount of pressure, that it distends the ear canal in places where it is flexible, and creates a slightly oversized mold in that area - which is then translated into hard acrylic by the iem manufacturer.

The solution that I am going to try (as soon as the coronavirus issue is resolved) is to have my ears 3D laser-scanned (with an OtoScan machine) at a local audiologist. Since the scanner does not touch the wall of the ear canal, this should result in a more accurate mold of my ear canal, and subsequently a better fit for my 64 Audio a18T ciems.

BTW, I have to give a hand to Taron for waking up 64 Audio for me. After he contacted them, they are much more responsive. Thanks Taron!

2 Likes

In case you guys want to fine tune your 64audio IEMs even more, FiR Audio offers modules that should sound a little different than the stock M15/M20 modules! Check it out here. Thanks @antdroid for letting me know that these exist! I just ordered a set! I’ll share my thoughts and how much it changes the U12t when I receive them in the mail.

7 Likes

Hi everyone !
I have had the chance to try out the 64audio Tia Trio for the past 2-3 weeks and this is all thanks to the HEADPHONE Community Preview Program. I highly encourage people to participate and share their thoughts !

I guess I should begin with a few disclaimers. Firstly, the music I tend to listen to revolves a lot around metal, rock, instrumental and soundtracks. Here is a non-exhaustive list of the bands I used to gather my thoughts : Dream Theater, Haken, Jinjer, Tool, Gojira, Trivium, Devin Townsend Project, Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, Porcupine Tree, Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Soen, Animals as Leaders, Hans Zimmer, Final Fantasy OST, Hollow Knight OST and Ori & the Blind Forest OST. Secondly, my library consists of my own 16bit 44.1 KHz FLAC files and I also use streaming services like Tidal Masters and Spotify (on the very high setting). Thirdly, I used the iFi iDSD Micro Black Label and the Sony WM1A as my sources. They are on the warmer side, which I think is a good match with this IEM. Eartips wise, I used my favorites, the Azla Sedna shorts.

To start off my small review, I’ll go with comfort. I have tried or owned a lot of different IEMs (from Sony, QDC, VisionEars, Campfire Audio, FiR Audio, Empire Ears, Shure, etc.) and I think the Tia Trio is amongst the best out there. The Apex technology with 64audio IEMs is amazing and I don’t have any pressure buildup whatsoever, which is an issue I have with almost every other brand. As far as size goes, it is on the bigger side, so it might be an issue if your ears are smaller than average. Fortunately, the nozzle is long enough, so it should help with deep insertion and stuff like that.

As far as packaging goes, the presentation is not exceptional by any mean, but it’s alright. There’s a protective case that you can use to protect / store the IEMs, a couple eartips and the stock cable. Speaking of cable, it’s one of the worst out there. It does not feel really good and I would strongly recommend to buy an aftermarket one (a cheap YinYoo one is good enough) if you plan on keeping the Tia Trio for a long period. I personally use the Dunu DUW02 and it’s nice to be able to swap the connector at will !

Anyway, it’s time to talk a little about the sound. Starting with the low frequencies, I’d say it’s one of the highlights. It has typical DD texture and the level itself is fairly boosted, which makes it enjoyable for genres like hip hop, EDM and things like that. Sub bass is well represented (nice extension), but I feel like mid bass should be a little bit more pronounced, especially for a v-shaped IEM.

Continuing with the mid frequencies, I’d say it’s definitely the weak part of this IEM. They sound really far back, which make the Tia Trio hard to enjoy overall with the vast majority of genres I listen to (rock and metal mostly). The amount of detail is fairly good, but I can’t say it’s exceptional, especially for the price. It’s not ideal for someone that wants to hear every detail in their music (look at the KSE1200, Anole VX or U12t if that’s what you want !).

Treble wise, the Tia Trio reaches a level that makes me a bit uncomfortable. Some peaks in the upper frequencies might be the reason for that, but I am not too sure on where exactly in the frequency graph. All in all, it makes for a very intense experience. If you tend to listen to music at high volumes, get ready! I have not tried to EQ this IEM, but it could be an option if you’re sensitive to that region like I am.

Finally, I would say that soundstage and imaging are quite impressive. I get the feeling that music surrounds me (3D sound) and isn’t “direct”. Imaging is also good, in both depth and width.

In conclusion, would I recommend the 64audio Tia Trio for the price? I’m not too sure. It does not pair really well with my genres (rock and metal) and I prefer the U12t by a decent margin, but I would still give it a try. With the current 30% off sale, it sits at a more reasonable price. In the same price range, I would also consider the Campfire Audio Solaris, which is more balanced and full sounding to me. You don’t quite get the same bass presence (the Solaris is a bit more tame in that region), but you get more detail and a more realistic presentation (instruments and male vocals) overall.

Anyway, that about wraps up my small review, hope you enjoyed the read and feel free to ask questions below if you have any :slight_smile: !

10 Likes

I had issues with my CIEM’s as well, but online they have a tool where you can select what’s wrong and then send it back for adjustment. It did that without any hassel and they came back and fits a lot better.

1 Like

That’s great to hear. Things are pretty shut down at the moment, so I will get this sorted out when we are all back in normal times.

There’s a new iem out from 74 Audio. It’s called the NIO

https://www.64audio.com/nio-universal-in-ear-monitors.

Its a hybrid 9 driver Universal Iem.

It looks interesting.

Information taken from 64 Audio website.

Nio

$1,699.00

Our first high driver-count hybrid, Nio is a universal-fit earphone featuring a 9mm dynamic driver and a striking blue-abalone faceplate. With a sound signature characterized by extended lows and a rich 3-dimensional soundstage, Nio’s smooth treble and natural warmth will provide hours of enjoyable listening for all genres of music.

Add the Premium Silver Cable to your cart along with the Nio and save $499 for a limited time.

Estimated build time: 1 to 2 days

Ships in: 1 to 2 days

TECHNOLOGY

Exclusive technologies that challenge traditional in-ear monitor designs to give you the absolute best listening experience

Learn more about all of our technologies >

Nio features the following unique technology:

A tubeless design that reduces resonance for a transparent and lifelike sound signature.

LEARN MORE

Only from 64 Audio, apex alleviates listener fatigue by releasing air pressure sealed in the ear canal. This venting enables musicians and music enthusiasts to listen more comfortably for longer.

LEARN MORE

Enables a consistent, reliable sound regardless of audio source.

LEARN MORE

SPECIFICATIONS

Driver Type/Count Eight precision balanced armature drivers and one dynamASic driver
Driver Configuration 1 tia high, 1 high-mid, 6 mid, 1 dynamic low
Frequency Response 10Hz – 20kHz
Sensitivity 105db dB/mW
Impedance @1kHz
Crossover Integrated 4-way passive crossover
Isolation -10db w/ mX module, -15dB w/ m15 module, -20dB w/ m20 module
6 Likes

Early measurements I’ve seen look awesome. Looking forward to getting one in for testing.

3 Likes

Looking forward to your impressions. They may have a bit too much bottom end for me but I shall have to wait and see. Some Redditors passed comment on it not being dissimilar to the N8. Interesting.

2 Likes

Measures similarily to the U12t actually :wink: But since it’s a DD driver for bass, it’ll most likely be more pronounced.

2 Likes

Looks like it’s a universal-fit version of the existing N8 CIEM - has the same specs and configuration, at least, other than the shell.

Maybe they can reverse their process and yield CIEM versions of the tia Trió and Forté …

1 Like

These are very nice looking and the price is good. Have heard the N8 comparisons too. So these could be similar to Trio with more drivers? User reviews will eventually tell the story.

1 Like

Bought a set today, will share my thoughts once I get to hear them ! I’ll be able to compare with my previous daily driver, the U12t. Excited about the DD bass the most. Hopefully it’s not a v shaped sound like the Tia Trio was.

7 Likes

Congratulations you’ll have to let us know your thoughts. Gokd luck.

Got my Nio yesterday and I must say they are the best IEMs I have heard. I went through a number of IEMs in the last few months including the 64 Audio Trio and the Empire Ears Legend X. The Nio bests all of them for me. It’s got great bass punch, the treble isn’t peaky or sibilant at all and the vocals are much more forward than the Trio and LX. These really are something not to mention just how beautiful they are to look at (when I am not listening to them). These are winners in my book. I also have the Empire Ears Hero on order and will see how they match up to the Nio when those come out in early September.

6 Likes

Great stuff @mla7. Congrats on your purchase. I’m a big 64 Audio fan. Though I’m not that much of a bass head. I do respect everyone’s opinions and tastes. Plus the Nio’s are the best looking of the whole lineup with that new colour faceplate. I would love to have this on my U18t’s. Look forward to your further impressions.

I will say in regards to the bass if you use the MX module it really tames it to the point of making it more of a reference sound. I don’t like my bass being tamed that much, but I could see how others would like it. I think the M20 module boosts the bass a little more than the M15 module and that makes the sound a little fatiguing from the stuff I listen too, but again I could see others liking it and it’s probably more similar to the Legend X in that sense. The M15 is my go to as it gives the best balance I think of bass, mids and treble. I have been wearing these all day while I work from home with no fatigue from sound or comfort. Really digging these. The Empire Ears Hero are going to have to really bring it to overtake these Nios.

2 Likes

I personally prefer the M15. I would also like to try the 3rd party modules too. Just to see what the bring to the table.

2 Likes

Nio demo arrived today! Had some issues with the stock cable (I’m guessing it’s defective - no offense, the stock cable makes me want to puke), but all is good after I swapped it out. This is a very, very solid IEM. Just some brief listening impressions using the M15 module:

• Probably some of the best bass I’ve heard. I’m not sure if I’d put it quite alongside the Sony IER-Z1R, my benchmark, as it’s been a while since I’ve heard it. The Nio definitely has less decay and dynamic impact. But there’s no shortage of texture, and I think it might strike a more controlled balance, especially for those who find the IER-Z1R a bit over-the-top. It also helps that you can control this with the modules.
  • The midrange is right about where I want it to be. A little further back positionally and with more note-weight than the U12t here. Very safe.
  • I think it has a little more treble presence than the U12t. Will have to listen more, but it’s sounding more like a mild V-shape to me.
  • Technicality-wise, it’s up there. Not quite playing ball with the U12t, but more than enough to get by. Good amount of timbral coloration and warmth, seems to strike a good balance that doesn’t significantly neuter resolution or other technical capability.

I can’t knock anything about it off the top of my head (other than QC memes), and frankly, that doesn’t happen often haha. Hopefully will have the full review finished by the end of next week too!

6 Likes

I spent a little bit of time with the Nio last week before @Resolve took them out of my ears in a cold and callous manner :wink: . This was all done with the stock M15 module and I haven’t had a chance to use new the bass destroying MX module or the older M20 module with the Nio

The Nio doesn’t edge out the U12t for my favourite of the 64 Audio line-up but I will say it probably edges out the Solaris 2020 for me for fun IEMs. Even over the Empire Ears Valkyrie. It’s also the first 64 Audio IEM that looks high-end compared to the more subtle faceplates from the rest of their UIEM line-up.

The bass on the Nio is powerful and intoxicating but the rest of the FR is pretty well balanced. Slightly recessed mids and very nice treble. Wasn’t too peaky for me and most of you know I’m treble adverse. I was using them with foam tips as well as I tend to avoid rubber / silicone with most of my IEM listening. Just a personal preference.

I think the Nio is going to take people by surprise when they finally get listen to it and I don’t think the newly released Empire Ears Hero will unseat it. The bass is different between the two and the tonality is different. Comparisons between those two are what I’m really looking forward to!

13 Likes

Figured I would also share my thoughts on the new 64audio Nio, and compare it against the Sony IER-Z1R. I got the chance to demo these IEMs at two separate occasions, for a total of maybe 1-1.5 hours of listening.

Overall, it’s a very pleasant IEM, but it depends a lot on what volume you listen to. At low volumes, it sounds a bit too dark and resolution is impacted heavily. When you raise the volume though, the treble appears and that’s when you get a more balanced experience. All my testing was done with the FiR module O (equivalent to the MX module but with more bass), Azla Xelastec eartips and the Lotoo Paw S1 dac/amp (stock cable too, even though you guys probably already know I don’t believe in cables). The music I used to test is mostly metal (Dream Theater, Haken, Trivium, Jinjer, Killswitch Engage, Gojira) and progressive rock (Genesis, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd). There also was a bit of rock (Chevelle, Soen) in there too.

A/Bing against the Z1R was very interesting to say the least. They both trade blows, but the Nio comes out on top for me. The mids feel a lot more real and full, but the treble is definitely more exciting on the Z1R. While I don’t think you’re missing detail or resolution in the treble with the Nio, it still sounds a bit further back and smooth. I feel like it blends a little better with the rest of the signature (not v shaped) though, which to me is a very good thing.

I guess the fit is another benefit of the Nio : it’s a lot more manageable. I can easily fit the Z1R (deep fit), but you just can never forget it’s there since it is so big and heavy. For the Nio, the nozzle is long, so it sits deep while remaining out of the way. Apex technology is another thing : you simply won’t get any pressure buildup and you’ll be able to wear them for the entire day, no problem.

To conclude this little faceoff, I’d say they’re both great IEMs. You’re simply trading a bit of treble excitement (Z1R) for thicker, fuller mids (Nio). I’m not sure I would own both at the same time, since they’re just not different enough for me to want both.

In my opinion, if there’s one IEM that complements the Nio really well, it’s the Andromeda 2020. You’re getting that awesome layering and that sparkle in the treble, so you’re covering the weaknesses of the Nio (the layering isn’t bad per se, it’s just not a highlight). The BA bass is pretty good for more complicated / complex tracks (mostly for speed and accuracy) as well, so you can pick if you want a more impactful / realistic bass experience (Nio) , or the more reference one (Andro 2020).

All I can say now is that I’m really excited to receive my pair soon! Worth the pickup if you’re looking for a smooth and pleasant listening experience.

10 Likes