64 Audio - Official Thread

I’ll be reviewing the tia Fourté, tia Trió, U18t and U12t.

I don’t currently own any 64Audio IEMs. I was going to buy the tia Fourté at launch, but decided to wait for a custom-fit version - as I had only just picked up the Empire Ears Zeus XR Adel. That doesn’t seem to be any closer, based on some discussion at RMAF … and now I have found some tips that work for me on the tia Fourté (SpinFit CP240) chances are I’ll pick a set up.

Unless the U18t are close enough in overall performance that I could go with those in custom form instead.

2 Likes

Some dream iem’s in that list. I have always wanted to try the Empire Ears line up as well as the 64 Audio line up. The recent drop on Massdrop with the cut down Zeus was tempting but why not go the whole way. I am also intrigued by the Adel technology. I look forward to your thoughts on these if and when you get chance.

1 Like

The new Empire Ears stuff is interesting. I really like the last series they did - of which just two models survive as part of their “Legacy” series. I am a lot less enamored with the latest iterations.

For one, they’ve dropped support for ADEL (I understand why, and I can’t really blame them) and haven’t replaced it with anything. More importantly, though, for me at least, the Legend X and the Phantom are just too much when it comes to bass presence. On the Legend X the bass quality is excellent - perhaps the best I’ve heard in an IEM and definitely in the top-three.

There’s just too much of it, for me.

Though it might actually be more accurate to say that there’s too much bass-impact - to the point that it becomes fatiguing rapidly. EQ’ing helps some - but I think it’s the nature of their new bass drivers. I’d need more time with them to figure that out properly. Maybe ADEL (or similar) would help (me) there, maybe it’d kill the impact, I’ll never know.

The other problem I see with them is that they appear to have stopped offering re-shelling services. So if you buy a custom IEM from them, and want to sell it, your buyer has to go to a third-party to have it re-shelled. Not something I’d want to do on an IEM at that level - and probably won’t do any favors for resale value.

On the ADEL stuff …

I found it to be quite effective in reducing listening fatigue. It came at the cost of some isolation (though you could get around that with the MAMS module), and resulted in a slight loss of bass texture - something I noticed when I had both the Zeus R and Zeus XRA at the same time. But overall the effect was worth it, especially as when I do use IEMs it tends to be for longer listening sessions.

From what I’ve gathered from various external discussions, there were some issues with the owners of the ADEL technology, which led to 64 Audio dropping it and coming up with their own implementation (works differently, is called “APEX”, and honestly I think it’s better), and Empire Ears just dropping it.

APEX has a smaller negative impact on bass reproduction than ADEL and is more effective at reducing fatigue. And it is unique to 64 Audio.

So while I consider APEX > ADEL … I would take either over a conventional IEM without hesitation. To the point that for me to buy an IEM that doesn’t offer one of these technologies, or something similar, it would somehow have to manage having the same lack of fatigue in extended use and sound better to the point that it was immediately obvious.

2 Likes

Thank you there’s some great information there. I had also heard that EE had dropped the Adel technology. I too don’t like too much bass or bass impact. The sub-bass on the Massdrop Plus iem’s I found a little fatiguing at first but I have tried to EQ this out a little. I do like the look of the 64 lineup though. Again thanks for your thoughts.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So, two weeks in on my listening to the complete set of 64 Audio’s universal-fit IEMs … and in the process of wrapping that up so I can start converting listening notes into proper reviews of them …

Previously I’d only had the U18 tzar and tia Fourté together - mostly because the tia Trió and U12t didn’t exist at the time.

64%20Audio%20-%20Universals%20(2048)

The performance of all of these models is very high. The swappable APEX modules on the U18t and U12t are a nice way to be able to tune the bass performance and isolation, while keeping ear fatigue at bay, and the built-in APEX modules of the tia Fourté and Trió also, for me, completely eliminate the listening fatigue I get very rapidly with IEMs that don’t have APEX or ADEL type features.

3 Likes

I am really looking forward to your write-ups regarding the 64 Audio Universal lineup.

2 Likes

Those tia Fourtes are handsome…

1 Like

Hey Guys,

@taronlissimore from headphone.com was kind enough to let me stop by the headphone.com office this morning to give the 64 Audio Universal IEMs a try. I have been considering a pair of IEMs for a while, and this was a great chance to give them a listen and see what I think. I listened to the U18Tzar, Tia Trio, and Tia Fourte.

I listened to the Tia Fourte first. I immediately noticed the amazing 3d like imaging and soundstage. Very impressive first impression. The Highs became a bit much on modern pop, brightly mastered stuff, and were a tiny bit sibilant with vocals…however with electronica and other genres, they really impressed me. The sub bass is lovely, and is more present than the Tia Trio. There is a tiny bit less mid bass than the U18Tzar. The mids are a bit pulled back, so if you like big lush mids these are not the IEMs for you. I value quality bass, and soundstage the most I think, so these were really up the alley. I tried doing a tiny bit EQ on the highs, and this improved them to my ears for the brightly mastered pop stuff. So, if you like big lush mids, don’t buy these, if you are particularly treble sensitive, don’t buy these.

I listened to the Tia Trio next. Compared to the Fourte, the first thing I noticed was a lack of air and space around the notes. You lose the amazing 3d like imaging and soundstage. However, the highs are smoother than the highs on the Fourte. I think I actually preferred the highs in general on the Trio vs. The Fourte. The mids are a bit more present on the Trio, which makes it work better with acoustic music (IMO anyhow.) There is less sub bass and bass in general. If you can get a deal on these, they make an argument for being the best I have heard for the price. Definitely a recommended listen.

I checked out the U18Tzar next and….man I was disappointed. My notes say “Kinda Boring, muffled sounding in comparison to the Fourte.” I could see these being the right IEMs for you if you like a more reference neutral tuning, but for me and my ears, combined with the astronomical price, I just couldn’t get on with these. They don’t have the 3d imaging and soundstage I mentioned, nor the airy treble. I don’t know, just not for me. Your mileage may vary.

I forgot the mention comfort. These 64 Audio IEMs are immensely comfortable as they all share the same basic shell design :slight_smile:

So, to wrap up. This morning was an enlightening listening session. The Fourte was impressive enough for me to buy a pair, however I wouldn’t recommend purchasing a pair at retail price. I just can’t justify that much for an IEM, no matter how special they are. The Fourte really floated my boat, however, but I can see why people might not enjoy them at all and in fact, might actively dislike them. I think they are kinda like the Abyss, in that you will love them or hate them. The Trio is the most balanced, yet still involving sound signature out of the three. I would highly recommend them, especially if you can find a deal on them, bringing them into TOTL Campfire Audio type pricing. The U18Tzar….yeah not for me, but you might be different, so try to get your ears on a pair before purchasing, as they are not cheap IEMs.

6 Likes

I may be in the minority, but I am not super enthusiastic about the aesthetics of the tia Fourté (specifically). They’re not unattractive, and are quite striking in some cases, but each pair is unique and the copper-patina inlay can vary from including quite a broad range of hues, ranging from almost black, through various green/blues all the way through to unoxidized copper. The ones in my pictures above are the demo set, and those are in that category

And then some, like the pair I bought for myself, can wind up being green/blue/black, with not much variety and a limited range of colors (which you can see in this post).

Not that it’s a big deal - they sound amazing and how they look is largely immaterial when they’re in use. But I personally prefer the redder inlays on the U18t, and if it had been down to me, would likely have put carbon fiber, mother of pearl or abalone on the backs of the Fourté.

Congrats, welcome to the club … and happy listening!

3 Likes

Yes, please!

1 Like

So jealous. I would love a pair myself. That was a cracking good write up. Just what I was looking for. I have been looking at 64 Audio for ages. When I get the cash I would like to get a pair myself.

2 Likes

Apparently 64Audio are announcing and previewing a new IEM at CanJam this weekend. Can’t wait to see what that is. There may be some swearing (and some rejoicing) if it’s a custom-fit version of the tia Fourté.

Though if the in-shadow teaser image is anything to go by, it looks like a universal … something they don’t have a model for under $2,000 today …

3 Likes

I’ve heard rumours of a new tia fourté online. I didn’t watch Jude’s video but there was mention of something in there. If they’re doing a custom fourté though i would imagine they would be announcing a custom trio along with it.

3 Likes

So … this must be the new tia Fourté …

I wonder if this is what they were teasing/sampling at CanJam … given it’d fit the time-frame they talked about.

5 Likes

Someone got a measurement of the prototype at CanJam. It measured basically the same as the regular Tia Fourte.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: 64 Audio Tia Trio - Official Thread

I purchased a 64 Audio a18T ciem pair back in December. The left side fits ok, and have had one remake of the right side, and it still causes pain after a few minutes, even using Oto-Ease lubricant. The pain is in the anterior side of the ear canal, right behind the tragus. Also, I hear my pronounced heartbeat to the point where it interferes with my listening to music. Perhaps it is pressing against a nearby blood vessel in my ear canal? I have alerted the 64 Audio refit department again, but have not heard back from them. You would think that they would have more responsive support for a ciem that costs so much.

These iems sound terrific. I would just like them to fit properly. :rage:

1 Like

This is a solid discount!! To bad the current situation is more about to save as much as you can, at least in our little family business.

2 Likes

That’s an excellent deal!

Do you here your heartbeat (pulsatile tinnitus) without the IEM’s in? If you do, get it checked out.

1 Like