64 Audio - Official Thread

If by distortion you mean harmonic distortion, then yes it is actually relevant for most balanced armature IEMs. Typically you see elevated third and elevated fifth harmonics, but it’s an open question as to whether that’s audible. Some think the elevated third harmonic distortion in BA IEMs is enough to explain ‘balanced armature timbre’, others think its within the masking window and wouldn’t be audible with music.

The other thing is that this is all going to be different depending on the IEM, depending on the BAs used.

3 Likes

I just picked up a 64 Audio Tia Trio to compare with my Nio. I spent the day EQng them to the same preffered target via mini dsp ears to see which one I would ultimately prefer. First without EQ the Nio is a lot better to my ears. If I could not use EQ, the choice would have taken me two minutes. With EQ though…they are very, very close. Nio wins in imaging for instrument placement. Mid bass is also a bit better texture wise on the Nio. Trio wins in mid/lower treble smoothness and clarity. There is just a touch more clarity here and slightly more effortless vocals. Soundstage on the Trio is also very slightly taller and convincing. These differences are very slight though. With EQ the Trio is a better IEM by about 1% to my ears because of the superior clarity, but again, without EQ the Nio is the best IEM available to my ears. Including the amazing U12t and not designed for human ears, but fantastic Symphonium Helios. I will probably sell the Trio and get a U12t. The U12t will be more complimentary to the Nio as these two are so similar and sublime.
​EDIT: After having both sets and listening to them side by side for several weeks I have reached an alternate conclusion- I will keep the Trio!

Why? For one the Trio is slightly smaller with less angle on the nozzle so it fits my ears better. It is a subtle, but very noticeable improvement in prolonged comfort and consistent seal. For two the bass is a little better, a little tighter and just a bit punchier. The bass is perfect, so I will keep the Trio and sell the Nio. I love them both, but they are really too close in overall sound signature (after EQ) to keep both.

5 Likes

@GoldenSound reviews the legendary 64 Audio u12t in our latest video!

1 Like

I’ve noticed just recently that I have a strong preference listening to the 64 audio noir in Iphone XR than in my other samsung phone (with external dac/amp). With the samsung, I’d rather listen to the Letshouer S12 than the Fourte Noir. Its treble is like a knife and it is also more laid back on the samsung. It is the only thing I use the Iphone as source, as it tends to be warmer and feels less detailed than android.

Anyone has experience with the two sources to tell if shares the same opinion and/or if it happens with other 64 audio products?

Nice setup, i might be biased, for i also own the gold brick - Sony nw-wm1z. Love the sound quality, and ability to stream music to my fiio k9. Via Bluetooth.

Since I already have the Fatfreq Maestro Mini, I was wondering how the 64 Audio Nio compares to it since both are considered basshead IEMs?

1 Like

Interesting question. Listening to both back to back on the same tracks I would say that the Maestro Mini, no surprise, clearly has more sub-bass. But the Nio has a fuller sounding (mid-)bass. Overall the Nio has more detail. As an example, listening to the live MTV version of Hotel California, the guitar playing at the beginning has more detail on the Nio, when the drum kicks in it is deeper on the MM, and when the crowd recognizes the song there is more crowd there, with better soundstage, on the Nio. So if I was just listening to drum music, the MM would be my choice between the two, but overall the Nio is superior because it has a strong bass presence and handles everything else quite well. YMMV, etc., etc.

4 Likes

The No is quite different from the Mini, being more sub-bass and vocally focused. It also has a more holographic stage than the Mini, though keeping in mind the price difference.

Ever wonder what goes into making an IEM? Or specifically, what 64 Audio’s thought process is when it comes to making IEMs?

@Precogvision visited the Pacific Northwest during the summer to find out the answers to all your burning questions.

5 Likes

Great video, really interesting tour & bts information. Really enjoyed this one. :+1:

1 Like