64 Audio Tia Trio - Official Thread

This is the place to discuss the 64 Audio Tia Trio.

1 Like

So Iā€™ve been evaluating the Tia Trio for a bit, and I gotta say Iā€™m completely blown away by its technical performance. The bass slam is some of the best Iā€™ve heard (better than Solaris), and while itā€™s elevated, it doesnā€™t feel like it overpowers other parts of the FR. Iā€™ll still have to do some testing but so far the Tia Trio takes ā€˜guilty pleasureā€™ up a notch. Seriously a wonderful listen.

At the moment I hear it like this:
Detail retrieval - I think it would score higher if the FR wasnā€™t as laid back.
Dynamics - Is there anything better for IEMs in the slam department? Maybe Z1R? Someone help me out here
Stage & Imaging - super impressed by surgical precision for the imaging and sense of space. Likely some FR trickery to get that but itā€™s worth it.
Timbre - NO BA timbre as far as I can telā€¦ what?
Tonality - Not quite my tempo - I mean tuning - but boy if it isnā€™t fun. Itā€™s like a Focal Stellia in IEM form.

Review soon.

8 Likes

I would say the Legend X. The Trio is very similar FR wise both being somewhat v-shaped, with a bit less bass impact than the LXā€¦ but they are both very detailed and resolving with somewhat laid back treble. I think the Trio would be great for someone who wants the somewhat elevated bass, but not as intrusive or dominant as the LX. Solaris is more about balance than bass slam (though its bass is excellent imho).

2 Likes

Thatā€™s very interesting. I have the Legend X here right now for evaluation next. I should probably do a shootout :smiley:

3 Likes

That would be great! I love the LX, but I recognize that itā€™s more a niche IEM-- the Trio seems like it would be better suited as an ā€œall rounderā€. But for those moments when I want to have my world rocked with ā€œshit yourself bassā€ (to borrow your phrase :slight_smile: ā€¦the LX is a great IEM to have around.

3 Likes

haha excellent use of the phrase :smiley:

Yeah, every once in a while thatā€™s such a fun experience.

2 Likes

Would second that Iā€™d love a comparison with the LX, and any thoughts on the Trio vs the Fourte/Fourte Noir would be welcome, also.
Thanks!

2 Likes

The LX in some ways looks like a Trio with a bit more bass. Will be interesting to hear a comparison. The bass on LX is huge but itā€™s also super resolving and detailed as a whole.

2 Likes

Wow that looks remarkably similar. Okay Iā€™m doing a comparison for these now.

2 Likes

@jrockwell thank you for this - very helpful. Iā€™ve seen crinacleā€™s site but donā€™t have premium access - any chance you can add the Fourte Noir to this?
I find this fascinatingā€¦full disclosure I own a pair of Noirs and LXs, and Iā€™ve auditioned the Trios. Really interested to a) see the FR of the three compared and b) read your thoughts as well as @Resolve
I am not a headphone technician but would agree with you that the LX has punch beyond the two 64 Audio IEMs, but without sacrificing resolution etc as you sayā€¦so if you like a bit more punch, you can have your cake and eat it too!
I also think the Fourte Noir has more low-end slam than the Trio, but would be interested to see the FR to confirm/refute

3 Likes

I donā€™t have premium access so I can only compare two IEMs at a time. This is the Trio and the Noir-- they look a lot more similar than what I was expecting based on what I know of the two. Iā€™ll refrain from commenting as I have had very limited time with the Trio and havenā€™t heard the Fourte at all.

2 Likes

Wowza very interesting, thank you. Not what I expected, either. Perhaps I was just brainwashed! I suppose the DD in both are technically the same or very similar structurallyā€¦and perhaps was thinking that with the Fourte Noir being specifically tuned to be ā€œwarmerā€ than the Fourte, weā€™d see a different FRā€¦I guess not!

2 Likes

Honestly it could just be another case of FR not telling the whole story-- when I hear people talk about the Trio they almost always reference the quality of the bass and slam. When I hear talk of the Fourte/Noir itā€™s almost always in connection with its massive stage and/or intense trebleā€¦neither of which is apparent based on looking at this graph.

3 Likes

Yep, makes sense, thank you
I personally donā€™t find the Noirā€™s treble to be intense - but also have not heard the Fourte as a comparison. Itā€™s more intense than the Trio for sure, but not overly so (and perhaps this is the difference between the Noir and the Fourte, based on what Iā€™ve read). I would agree with the general feedback on soundstage etc.

thanks again!

3 Likes

Finished my video comparison between the Tia Trio and Legend X, figured Iā€™d post it here:

Written comparison here:

7 Likes

I very much appreciate and find extremely valuable your review methodology. Iā€™m evaluating the 64-u12tā€™s based upon your TOTL compo late last year - they are as you described. Can I ask you to give your quick impressions of the u12t compared to the trio? The trio would be the other IEM under consideration (the legend-x is too much of a light show for my consideration).

Thanks.

3 Likes

I love this description.

If you imagine a spectrum with ā€˜analyticā€™ on one side and ā€˜relaxedā€™ on the other, the U12T falls confidently on the analytic side. The Tia Trio is closer to the middle, because it still has some decent energy in the treble, itā€™s just not as treble-focused. The main advantage of the Tia Trio is its dynamic drivers for bass impact. Itā€™s also quite solid, but itā€™s not over-emphasized and boomy, just a bit of extra kick. The U12T is still tighter in the bass, but doesnā€™t have quite the same slam. In my opinion the Tia Trio would probably be better for musical enjoyment, but for critical listening, the U12T would be the way to go - especially for that treble focus. If you care most about how your treble sounds, the U12T all day. If you care more about how your bass impact sounds and feels, the Tia Trio is the way to go. Iā€™m personally still not sure which I prefer haha.

4 Likes

Wow - thanks so much for that in depth reply! That definitely helps guide me towards the u12t as they are moderately analytic without being strident (almost always)

Just to prove the point that no good deed goes unpunished - may I ask - have you also listened to the qdc anole VXs? I have them now as well on audition and find them even more analytical than the u12ts but mostly in the mids where they add a distinct ā€œrealnessā€ to the harmonics of cellos and low frequency stringed instruments - quite addictive. But I remain at the crossroads since they do dip into the stridency pool a bit more often than the u12s.

1 Like

I havenā€™t tried them but theyā€™re definitely on my list for stuff Iā€™m interested in.

1 Like

Check out @Precogvision review of the Tia Trio!

4 Likes