About the Purchase Advice category

A post was merged into an existing topic: General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

Whatā€™s the best study (tutorial learning) audio gear (headphones, DAC amp)?

Whatā€™s the best for speed watching tutorials?

We should get a sense of price and value. If you recommend >1, rank them best to worst and give them points and ideally a price.

example: 10 model a $100, 8 model b $1

gear

1. DAC amp
  2. ventilating headphones: They keep skin dry and healthy, and provide relief from non-ventilated headphones.
  3. noise cancellation headphones: If your room is soundproofed, this might be unnecessary. Reduce sound sent to and received from the environment.
  4. ANC (active noise cancellation)
  5. PNC (passive noise cancellation)

What Iā€™ve heard about ANC

1. It cancels white noise, but not irregular noise.
  2. It sounds worse.

I have

1. FX Audio DAC-X6
  2. Koss KSC75: Its better than ATH-M50X, worse than 280 PRO. Itā€™s open back and vents.
  3. Sennheiser HD 280 PRO: Ignoring the closed back sound, it sounds the same as Stax SR-5 and better than KSC75, ATH-M50X, and Skull Candy IEMs.
1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

Denafrips or Holo Mayā€¦ is it a toss of the coin? Iā€™m convinced that a ā€˜Daveā€™ is not worth 10K.

TIA

1 Like

How do I go about posting for purchase advice. Iā€™m new here. Thanks

1 Like

Welcome @Pappaboomboom !

As you are new, your first few posts need to be manually approved.

I have moved your post into the General Purchase Advice thread. We have a mega-thread for all these kinds of posts and it gets quite a bit of traffic, so Iā€™m sure someone will be able to help you out.

2 Likes

Hi all! I canā€™t make a new thread in this subforum, so Iā€™ll join the mega thread fun. Iā€™ve pretty much said it all in my post in the welcome thread, so Iā€™ll just quote that here. But the tl;dr is:

• looking for IEMs for wireless Bluetooth configuration
  • total budget well under $1k, seeking used items only.
  • love jazz music especially, so while Iā€™m seeking a versatile set, the best dynamics and soundstage for jazz music under $500 used is the sweet spot. Dunu SA6ā€™s seem to me the most likely candidate ā€” thoughts?
  • once again, versatility is the goal here, as I will be using them for a lot of academic work in my home office, but also during short commutes and flights, light exercise (walking/hiking and whatever else I can gently swing), cooking and hanging around the house, and for serious listening in quietude until I subsequently acquire wired cans.

For that reason I plan to pair with a Bluetooth adaptor set like the Fiio UTWS5ā€™s to use with hifi and midfi sources on iPhone. Given this intention, I list the SA6ā€™s as my primary candidate, as even buying used the Thieaudio Monarchā€™s or Clairvoyanceā€™s together with UTWS5 adaptors would likely present too much of a budget stretch.

Iā€™ve also given thought to the Hifiman Ananda BTā€™s, which would preclude the need for additional amplification. While this would provide the nice benefit of ticking the wireless/Bluetooth box, together with the added bonus of a nice set of wired cans to start exploring higher-end over-ear listening, they donā€™t exactly match the desired use case of mobility and convenience. Iā€™d probably be happy enough with the IEMs and then moving to wired cans and a Schiit stack when Iā€™m ready for something new.

Thanks for reading. My welcome post is quoted below. This is an X-post to the other purchase advise megathread: puzzlingly, we seem to have two going in parallel.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Hifiman Sundara Open-Back Planar Magnetic Headphones - Official Thread