Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC

After getting to listen to the Phi TC at canjam what are your thoughts?

I independently came to the same conclusion about the FR that @metal571 did - specifically that it’s got dipped upper mids, somewhere around 3khz, maybe higher. And then the treble is upward tilted quite strongly. Detail was pretty good though, like, at least LCD4 level. No complaints on stage and slam either. I think I said it sounds like an LCD4 with a bit better tonal balance. Still not my preferred tuning, but it’s not all that uncommon.

6 Likes

That’s the hard part though isn’t it? Finding the headphone that meets the technical components we want while still having the tuning we’re looking for.
Thanks sharing your thoughts!

1 Like

Yeah, apparently with every revision, the AB-1266 is refining its tuning more and more. Speaking to some of the others at the show, they were saying this current version is a lot better than previous ones, although I can’t comment since I haven’t heard those.

1 Like

Thats what I’ve heard as well with the OG 1266 being even more U shaped, and the treble being a bit harsh. Seems they are headed the right direction.

Only thing I didn’t care about the 1266 is finding correct setup. It took me 2 months to find ideal placement. This led me not to care for them, but now I love them.

3 Likes

Ive heard this is a bit of an issue at first. What did improper placement do to the sound vs proper placement?

Biggest issue was bass. I’ll say frequency response didn’t sound right. Now that I found ideal setup it’s sounding better.

3 Likes

I can’t agree enough. Unless one is lucky and/or has very good perception to have the right fit from the start, it’ll take some time and that may/may not induce frustration depending on you. After that has been dealt with, you get to know why many say big things about it. Also, one can have the sound improved even more with the Superconductor cable and an amplifier like WA33 or Moon 600i (based on things I’ve heard). That is, of course, investment.

But to know the 1266, one needs to spend more time with it than your usual HP due to it’s customizable nature and how tampering could change it’s characteristics immediately.

2 Likes

I decided to use youtube for tuning the bass and it worked. There’s a lot of good edm and bass tracks. They gave the 1266 a good work out. Which should help with breaking them in faster.

I wonder how they’ll break in if you play 5 different heavy tracks together, haha.

I hate love the 1266. I was thinking they could have put tunnels in the pad. So that there could be clamp. I really don’t find them comfortable to wear with being loose.

4 Likes

To add a data point, Norne Silvergarde S3 cable (20 AWG x4 OCC silver litz) sounds majestic with 1266 Phi TC. The usual worries regarding pure silver cable sounding too bright, lean, whatever goes out the window here. Compared to JPS stock cable (which is awesome stock cable), Norne gives you more detail resolution while being smoother. Bass is fantastic also.

0503201543 by drjlo2, on Flickr

6 Likes

What;s that snazzy tube amp?

Elekit TU-8600R 300B amp upgraded with Jupiter copper foil caps.

3 Likes

Herb Reichert … the guru!

Is that an Abyss direct drive with the JR?

Yes, driving Abyss with Jot R via custom 4-pin female XLR to female XLR adapter, made for me by Nemal.

NemalRaal by drjlo2, on Flickr

3 Likes

I’ll need to get the adapter then. Any recommended sites?
I hope the JR doesn’t cause any damage or reduce the longevity of the TC.

I asked Schiit who said Jot R driving low-impedance planars wouldn’t hurt anything.

I could not find anyone who sells 4-pin female to female adapter, much less one with proprietary pinout for Ral, until I found Nemal. When you order it, you must write in the Notes that you want the Raal special pinout (send them the photo I posted above) with Amp end labeled.

2 Likes