Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC

Thanks for that. Looks like you and Nemal saved me (and, perhaps, others) some trouble.

By low impedance, you mean relatively low? What is the threshold below which an impedance is considered low?

Well, Jot R is designed to drive the ridiculously low 0.2 Ohm impedance of Raal SR1a. As such, it has huge current delivery capability into very low impedance; however, the actual wattage it can develop is “low” (not disclosed how low). I suspect it won’t do very well with 300 Ohm type headphones that require wattage, but into many planars which tend to be low impedance, e.g. 47 Ohm Abyss, Jot R does quite well.

1 Like

That makes sense. Thank you. Looking forward to that and RAAL if things go well on my side.

1 Like

Found adapters for Hifiman 3.5 mm plug to Abyss mini 3-pin XLR on Amazon!

This is AKG K702/Q701/K7xx adapter, but the pinouts work out perfectly because pin 2 is not connected on the Abyss side.

Build and sound quality are excellent, with the only caveat that with my highly slippery Eidolic 3.5 mm plug, weight of the cable can make the plug slip out slightly with headbanging. I may use a piece of packing tape.

Norne Silvergarde S3 cable on the Abyss via my 300B amp sounds glorious, both more revealing yet smoother than stock JPS cable.

0719201323 by drjlo2, on Flickr

3 Likes

Can use the RAAL cable with the Abyss via those adaptors?

I have found of all the TOTL HP’s I have owned the abyss had the very best stock cable…the only worthwhile upgrade IMHO is the abyss cable upgrade

1 Like

Yes, that does make sense based on other reviews I’ve read, and your post reinforced my understanding.

I was just curious on how the TC would sound if I used the SR1a cable which would give me the leverage to connect the it to the JR AMP.

Not worth the hassle.
Because Raal uses different pinouts from Abyss, you would have to 1) use the left Raal cable on right Abyss earcup (easy) and 2) open up and resolder one side of Raal TRRS tip so the top 2 wires now go to bottom 2 and vice versa (big hassle and now cable won’t work with Raal).

HifimanPinoutWrong_1595378454176 by drjlo2, on Flickr

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s normal but for bass to be equal on both sides I need to place the 1266 in a sweet spot if I move by cm it throws it off going into sounding like it’s only being produce on one side.

The drivers have to be equidistant to your ears if you want proper channel balance.

Most headphones make it impossible to wear them any other way. The AB-1266 makes it possible to have the whole thing off-center.

If the drivers are not equidistant to your ears, then the sound, and bass in particular (with the AB-1266) will be more prominent in the ear the driver is closer to. And yes, once you’re out of balance, it doesn’t take much for it to sound one-sided.

Also, if you wear them such that there is more than the absolute lightest of seals - the bass gets attenuated. So if that’s not even on both sides, you can also get an audible difference in bass levels from left to right.

With mine, I found I had to have slightly different positions on the cups (rotationally) to get an equally light seal for both ears. Though getting them equidistant was never an issue.

5 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up. I had to create a gap below my ears and light seal around the rest.

1 Like

When I use 1266 I have to put bass tracks on before listening to music. Once they are seated correctly I can enjoy my music.

Got the word from Abyss my 1266 TC should ship in about a week. The Moon Audio Silver Dragon cables arrived today and the matching adapters to use with the TT2’s XLR outs and the TToby’s speaker taps should arrive in a few days. I’m so ready for this!

6 Likes

Remember the days when my 1266 came in one day.

1 Like

So Abyss got super popular most be those covid checks from the government or tax returns.

2 Likes

I’m sure that helped. I’m using that for a much-needed RV vacation in the summer. The guitar industry in which I work is going through a huge boom growth right now and has been since the pandemic started. The industry used to be mired in a slump for many years and we lamented and said that we need another “Beatles” to revive it but never thought the pandemic would even outdo what the new Beatles could have done! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

My order took about 2 whole months to get to me.

Got the word that the TC is on its way and I should receive it on Friday - the perfect day just before the weekend. Plus, my wife is going to visit a friend over the weekend so the stars are perfectly aligned. :joy:

And, today, my adapters for the TT2’s XLRs and the TToby’s speaker taps arrived at my work office. I always have this kind of stuff delivered at work than at home and then sneak them in so that I don’t have to answer to: “So what did you get now?” Haha.

10 Likes

The Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC landed at my work office today and it’s going to be an amazing weekend. It just couldn’t have arrived at a better time. Here are the obligatory unboxing photos and the TC sitting on its matching throne. The package even includes an Abyss guitar pick. Good to know there are guitar players there. Matches up nice visually with a Strandberg. I’d like to hear the TC through a guitar rig as well. Will be heading home shortly and will be firing up the TT2 and TToby later tonight to finally hear this. I’ll start out with Meshuggah for maximum impact and then Beethoven’s 5th, then Armin van Buuren, then Alison Krauss, Aes Dana, Diana Krall, Miles’ ‘Kind of Blue’, some Prince, Hans Zimmer, Autechre, Wardruna, Steven Wilson, Stravinsky, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Grimes… So much to dig into… :smiley:

13 Likes

Rock on weekend of adjusting. Best part they don’t sound like normal headphones.

1 Like