Akg k712 pro

The place to discuss the AKG K712 PRO

https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Professional%20Headphones/K712PRO.html

2 Likes

@AudioTool feel free to post up your stuff here!

1 Like

Thanks @TylersEclectic. These don’t get a lot of rave reviews, but I like them a lot with Harman EQ.
3 Likes

I bought these to replace my AD-500x’s, found them to sound different and kept them.

Keep in mind these are 220€ in the EU and probably overpriced anywhere else.

If you want to reduce bass and sharpen the treble a bit, the pads of the K-501 (the rough fabric ones) fit and achieve exactly that.

2 Likes

They run almost $500 from Amazon.com here in the US. I agree that is too much but they can be found for $350 or less from other vendors which I think is a fair price, especially if you are a bit of a bass head like me.

Are the k712 pro bassy?? Never knew that

Compared to other audiophile headphones, yeah. The box even lists “3 db improved low end performance” as a feature. It also responds well to EQ.

1 Like

Interesting. Always thought the akg lines leaned more towards treble. TiL i guess. Cool

1 Like

I’ve been experimenting with my own EQ presets. Wow EQ really wakes these up!
LS 80Hz +3dB 0.71Q
PK 240Hz -2.6dB 1.2Q
PK 3200Hz 4.6dB 2Q
PK 5700Hz -3.3dB 1.6Q

This might be bass heavy for you. If so, just lower the LS filter gain. I purposefully left in the dip at about 1400Hz because I’ve read that it enhances soundstage. Regardless it’s part of the character of these headphones that I didn’t want to remove.

If you try this preset, please let me know what you think.

The K712 pro’s are perfect stock/no EQ for 50’s & 60’s Jazz like Bebop, Hard Bop, Cool Jazz, New Orleans Styles, all that instrumental Jazz that has brass some instruments. That type of music was recorded hot in the ranges that the K712’s lay back. Takes the sometimes piercing trumpet & sax lines to an enjoyable place with their stock tuning & soundstage execution. Also the Upright/Double Bass comes across prefect in these genre’s as the K712’s are tuned great for acoustic bass frequencies. Mostly I really appreciate where all the instruments are placed and how these headphones tend to avoid a sometimes piercing instrument from localizing only in one ear…some of those old “stero” recordings have that annoying experience for me on headphones…the K712’s keep me from having to correct with crossfeed for all but a few of those recordings.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!