AmpsandSound Amplifiers and Speakers builder

Very interesting post, thanks @Ray. My experience with the Mogwai SE has been broadly similar - really fun and very good in so may ways - and I found myself wanting a touch more extension in the treble. (To be fair, I do have what was described as a ‘slight’ roll off in hearing above 16K, so perhaps this may play into my experience. and maybe it’s just my preference(s). Or probably a bit of both…).

I’m very glad to hear that (it sounds like) you found your dream tube combo @Ray, or at least a very good one. Congrats & enjoy!

My question for those more experienced with tube compliments for the Mogwai (SE), is it possible, and how would you suggest to, achieve a similar tuning/result of slightly increased treble extension without losing all the mid-range and bass goodness with current production or at least widely available tubes? (Justin?, Zach? and many others no doubt - I don’t have the respective handles handy to tag them properly).

My current set up (below) comes pretty close for me, and might be a good combo with relatively accessible tubes to try for those with similar tastes. I would eventually/ultimately enjoy trying for a bit more just a bit more sparkle on cymbals etc. on my next round of tuning/experiment. It might be a while, but wanted to chime in and hopefully get some feedback & discussion going on this before this topic and thread became (too) stale.

Current tube set: 1x JJ 6SL7, 2x JJ KT77s, 1x 5U3C Svetlana 5U4G equivalent.
DAC: Hugo 2
Headphones: A variety of the usual suspects including the Susvara typically getting the most head time.
Music: A mix of FLAC, DSD and some mp3 material across many genres, including rock, fusion, soul, and especially natural instruments (jazz, acoustic, vocal, classical, etc.)

Any suggestions or alternatives in addition to the one that @Ray found?

2 Likes

@ampsandsound, or perhaps @zmfheadphones?, or others with Mogwai tube rolling experience, any thoughts or suggestions re the question above?

Asking here for the (potential?) benefit of others interested in trying for a tuning a little bit more towards what I think might be described as a ‘Telefunken’ style sound without sacrificing too much of the Mogwai bass and mid-range goodness. (Ideally with current production / readily available tubes if practical). Please let me know if better to ask offline, or in a different thread - thanks!

I’ve also removed & reseated all tubes, just for good measure to ensure optimal contact, and sitting down for some fresh listening - always a real pleasure, and this time is no exception :-).

It seems that this may not be the best thread for this question or discussion, sorry for that. I’ll likely move future follow ups to a different thread.

To follow up on my question above about new production tubes with a bit more ‘air’ for the Mogwai, after reading a lot of prior tube rolling threads in other amps, and a couple of threads related to recommendations for Mogwai amps (many of which seem to feature NOS tubes quite heavily), I’ve decided to try out some of the current production power tube options in the Mogwai SE. My goal is to share my impressions of the new production tubes in this amp for those who might be deciding whether to try the new production tubes in a Mogwai amp.

Given my target tuning (for the moment at least) described above, as a starting point I’ve decided to try a couple of new production KT77s (JJs which I already had, and are well broken in), and KT88s (Genalex Gold Lion aka GL, not yet fully burned in) in order to get a better handle on what these tubes have to offer and their respective strengths, characters, and perhaps limitations, in the Mogwai (as I hear them anyway) in case that’s helpful.

The basis of comparison and point of reference will be the JJ 6CA7s which came with this Mogwai, with a 6SL7 input tube and a 5U3C Svetlana rectifier.

Of course, since the Mogwai (and Mogwai SE) sound really good in general, my results will reflect my preferences and system synergy, and your mileage may vary…

Fwiw, to summarize my first impressions of these new production tubes in the Mogwai are along the lines of what we’d expect if we are all familiar with these tubes:

6CA7s: Lot’s of macro dynamics, fun, rhythmic & punchy. strong on bass impact.

JJ KT77: Balanced, detailed, neutral, nicely nuanced, tight & punchy, particularly in the bass, lacking a little bit if treble ‘air’ and ‘tube magic’ (for my taste, hearing, system, etc.)

Gold Lion KT88: More extended treble, more ‘air’, heightened sense of the ‘texture’ of instruments and voices. Way more increase in treble air than I had expected. Not bright to my hearing, but more treble energy and sense of presence and impression of the recording space and instruments.

Bass on the GLs so far is not bad but not great, with very good ability to reveal and differentiate different instruments and sounds, but having a bit of bloom, and a small amount of ‘tube’ looseness, and resulting in some lack of ‘focus’ in the bass. Handling of more complex passages is also still TBD. It will be interesting to see if this gets better, or how much better this gets, with more time on these tubes.

I had read about the KT77s “These can give you the mids of an EL34, with the highs of a KT88 and the bass of a 6550.” That sounds about right to me - except for the treble (highs). The treble I hear from the JJ KT77s is not matching (either the quantity or quality of) what the treble that I hear from the Gold Lion KT88s at least. (YMMV of course)

Someone wrote about the GL KT88s: “airy highs, gorgeous mids, deep dynamic bass.” So far, based on what I’m hearing I agree with the first two parts, as I mentioned, the jury is still out for me on the bass of the GL KT88s.

So far acoustic music and vocals are really excelling on the KT88s - think CSNY 4 Way Street, Eva Cassidy Nightbird, Concierto de Aranjuez, etc. Somewhat surprisingly, also Stevie Ray Vaughn, Johnny Lang etc. are sounding good with these tubes as well… I somehow ‘forgot’ to stop the music on Couldn’t Stand the Weather as I’m writing this, and that’s always a good sign.

I would say that the KT88 tubes have added more nuance, detail, texture, and insight to the already significant strengths of the Mogwai in these areas without being at all analytical, bright or fatiguing (for me, and in my system).

On the other hand so far at least, I’d choose the KT77s (or the 6CA7s) for Bluzeum’s Can I get that Funk, or AC/DC’s Back In Black, etc.

So a pretty promising start for the new production tubes as we round the first turn. Actually better than I had expected given that these Gold Lions are still fairly new with less than 50 hours on them. I like both of these tubes in this amp, hoping for some further improvement from the Gold Lions. Time will tell…

So far I’m liking what I’m hearing from these new production tubes. Of course so far I haven’t compared to the best NOS tubes have to offer in the Mogwai. I might yet decide to try some NOS tubes (6550s?) at some point - strictly in the interest of objectivity and fairness of course. It’s likely to be a while though - right now I’m too busy listening to music.

8 Likes

I’ve been using vintage tung sol 6550’s and they are amazing. I’m done tube rolling with my A&S amp nowadays.

4 Likes

Just a quick update on how the Gold Lion KT88 tubes are working out in the Mogwai SE so I don’t leave this with the wrong impression - after 75+ hours, the bass has firmed up nicely, the bit of looseness or lack of control is gone and now sounds well controlled to my ears, with excellent sense of textures, and sense of the original instrument - for example:

Cecile McLorin Salvant - Growl’in Dan

• :00 Upright bass in the intro sounds just right, like a real acoustic bass, and plenty snappy

Hugh Laurie - Baby Please Make a Change

• :00 upright bass & viola(?) sound real
  • :43 kick drum has good speed, control and definition

Swingrowers - That’s Right!

• :50 synth bass (OK, not a ‘real’ instrument…) - sounds nice, fat and ‘sassy’

And yes! Bluzeum is fun again now with the GLs (a bit of a guilty pleasure, perhaps, but hey…)

While retaining the added extension, vibrancy and air from the Gold Lions when the material calls for it. The end result is (even more) sense of realism for me, especially for music with natural instruments.
This change demonstrates nicely how versatile and revealing the Mogwai SE can be. (A few reviewers suggest there could be a tiny bit of a characteristic character - the change resulting from this tube set have pretty solidly disproved that idea)

Unfortunately, the Gold Lions still don’t have the massive attack or impact of the 6CA7s which seemed a bit emphasized in my system (definitely great fun on some material though!) and probably never will that level of impact.

My ideal tubes would be a bit of an lovechild of the two sounds - the vibrancy, extension and air of the Gold Lions and the bass attack and slam of the 6CA7s - which probably doesn’t exist. (Anyone has suggestions for tubes with something like that combination in the Mogwai, please chime in).

Bottom line, I’m quite happy with the Gold Lions in my system (what it’s all about of course),. They’re providing a good taste of the sound that I wanted to try, and they are staying in place for an extended listen. I’d say that’s a pretty good outcome for these new production tubes.

I admit that I am still quite curious about how the result compares to the NOS 6550 sound in the Mogwai (anyone has a pair they’d like to lend me please PM ;-). Or more realistically, if (when?) I can’t resist the temptation to try a pair of NOS 6550s (“get thee behind me!”) I’ll be happy to post my impressions of the comparison. Till then, cheers, and happy listening.

6 Likes

Another vote for vintage TS 6550s, hmmm…

@Earmuffs, would you care to say more about the specific characteristics of the sound produced with the tung sols you’re using? That would be helpful for me, and perhaps others who haven’t heard the 6550s in an A&S amp yet - thanks!

1 Like

I hope you enjoy this video for those of you wondering about the Nautilus. This is a long one as I compare to the Pendant, and Mogwai OG as well as describe the Nautilus quality of sound with several headphones.

Have a great weekend friends.

10 Likes

Brand new 300B headphone amp from Ampsandsound

(1) Agartha - ampsandsound

14 Likes

Now out with Gen 2 (or Rev. 2) of their classic amps:

“The close of 2021 has brought out more than 18 months of a global pandemic. During these challenging times, we at ampsandsound strengthened our development efforts resulting in new generation of our classic amps.”

2 Likes

Was talking to Justin about these. VERY high on the want list.

1 Like

On my want list as well.

Unfortunately that’s probably where they will remain until my fiscal situation improves, lol.

1 Like

I wonder where the FORGE sits vs. that Mogwai rev 2. Is it closer to the rev 1 or the rev 2? Given the FORGE is pretty new itself.

I think the Forge and the Mogwai rev 1 both use octal input tubes while the rev 2 uses 9pin tubes. In that way at least the Forge would seem to be more similar to the rev 1 Mogwai

Hi - need a little expert help here. I have a Mogwai SE coming from US and need to run it on European 220v. Looking for a step down transformer but I don’t really know how many watts I need?
Anyone got a clue? Does the amp need excessive power supply… was planning something like a 500 or maybe 1000w converter but I’m not sure :thinking:

2 Likes

For sure in the forum there are people like @ProfFalkin that may have the answer for you.
Meanwhile send an email to @ampsandsound: Justin is an example of what customers support is.

4 Likes

Shot me an email. There is a good choice from Hammond.

6 Likes

This is what I meant. Thank you Justin.

1 Like

Much appreciated- Looks like the Hammond gear is pretty hard to come by in EU - but I have my eyes on various step down transformers produced in Europe. However, I don’t know what the appropriate VA (Wattage) would be for the Mogwai- wouldn’t want to blow the fuse on the transformer powering up the amp - and don’t want to overkill the transformer if I can avoid it :wink:

1 Like

480watts is overkill but completely what I’d buy myself.

6 Likes

200 (4)

3 Likes