AmpsandSound Amplifiers and Speakers builder

Dedicated to @ampsandsound latest released tube amplifier the Agartha.

2 Likes

We have to recognise the great effort Justin did during these crazy times.
The amount of wonderful products he brought to our homes is incredible.
Great job.

8 Likes

That’s super kind. Thanks guys. It’s a labor of love. Really excited to share all of the work we’ve done.

The real difficulty has been supply chain. For so many companies, mine included delays in core material has meant significant cost increases and time double and triple sourcing to try and keep everything flowing. I spend about 3-5 hours a week calling my core supplies to try and keep things moving. Gone are the days you order, wait and it comes in on time. I’ve turned to sending lbs of sees chocolate before placing orders.

12 Likes

All, this isn’t even Justin’s day job!!!

4 Likes

I’m actually working in the ER as we speak doing psy transfers. ;-). Busy is good.

9 Likes

Update: Enjoying the Mogwai SE big time. Was nervous about running it on a Step Down power transformer from 230v outlet but this seems to work like a charm.
I have a slight ’transformer’-like hum in all taps. Def too loud in the high z. The level is permanent so I figure it’s the noise floor of the amp. The hum is audible without headphones and comes from the big transformer on the right. I can even feel it vibrating.

Using 6SL7 tubes and the 6384 power tubes at the moment. Would love the get your guidance on this: can I expect the noise floor to lower shifting to something like the 6SN7 / and less powerful power tubes?
At the moment my preferred headphones are ZMF VO on the low z tap.
Thanks again for all your input!

6 Likes

With my Mog SE, I had a small hum from the power transformer and after a month or two it completely disappeared. I hashed it up to a turbulent shipping. All 4 of my other A&S amps I owned never had any problems with hum.

Hoping it goes away soon. (I noticed that if I tapped the PT that it would go away sometimes. Maybe try a different rectifier and most definitely reach out to Justin in a private message/email.)

6 Likes

You really should have transformer talk (mechanical noise) unless there is dc on line. Tube amps don’t take kindly to dc. If I understand you’re using the amp in a 230V county with a step down transformer? If it’s a permanent I can send you a new 230v transformer.

Red noise floor. The VC/VO is very efficient. I like it on the 300ohm tap and it’s quite… power line noise effects noise. Others might like 32ohm for reduced noise floor and increased bass articulation.

Re tubes. 5u4 can very a great deal on how much power they draw. You might find things quieter with a different rectifier. (Worth the experiment).

Also you can easily roll in a 6sn7 and reassess.

Lastly, 6384 are so good sounding but really do take like 45min to an hour to get up to full temp.

If you let them run for 2hours you’d be shocked just how much better they sound.

13 Likes

Hi @ampsandsound this really is great service. I like that you take time to respond and always with excellent manners. I wouldn’t think twice in doing business with you.

7 Likes

@ampsandsound Can the 6384 be used in the Nautilus?

2 Likes

I think we are putting too much b+ but can double check in am.
The 6384 is really a 6l6gb that’s totally badass.

3 Likes

@ampsandsound Wow Justin - I can see why the audio community is so impressed by your customer service. Yes, I’m using a toroidal 1000w step down.

It is absolutely true - the 6384s really do open up on the second hour. They sound amazing- but is a dangerous thing to get addicted to tubes that rare …
I have ordered a mix of new tubes and look forward to experimenting.
I Love the amp - even with some noise. I’ll continue testing and report any major breakthroughs to the forum.
As a last resort I might reach out to you regarding the transformer.

Thanks again.

4 Likes

6384s can run in the Nuatilus. Too hot. El34s and kt88 compatible

1 Like

12 Likes

@ampsandsound Did you mean 6384s CAN’T run in the Nautilus?

1 Like

Correct. Sorry seems autocorrect got me.

1 Like

Ill stick with my 60’s Tung Sol 6550’s and el34 fat bottles. Still want to someday grab a pair of RCA backplate 6L6GC’s too

3 Likes

Total awesomeness right there! Congrats on your new amp bro! That is my dream amp, and I can only imagine how insane those vocals are.

5 Likes

I have the 6550 black plates in my Bigger Ben. Love them! I’m probably going to try the Sophia KT-88s they’re very popular.
Justin recommends the new production Tung Sol 6L6GC STR’s and they’re definitely a great value choice. Lots of slam, just a bit hard for me.

3 Likes

Lol Wes, with the amount of tubes you cycle through your pendant you probably could have had enough for an Agartha by now. :joy: :joy: :joy:

You wouldn’t have had as much fun though…

5 Likes