AmpsandSound Amplifiers and Speakers builder

It was great seeing how many people stopped by Justin’s booth to listen to his stuff!

1 Like

Justin loaned me a Nautilus and all I have to say now for the time being is WOW. Great pairing with the Expanse and planar in general.

2 Likes

If I ever purchase an Abyss 1266 I’ll be buying an A&S. Have fun with the demo! Tung sol 6550’s give you a slammy heaven!

Can confirm - at least on the Phi TC, A&S stuff sounds fantastic.

2 Likes

@SebastienChiu I saw this in the Expanse thread and was curious what tubes you’re using, because my Nautilus is not warm and gooey.

2 Likes

Something new coming, posted on Justin’s Instagram.

“Black Pearl”

4 Likes
5 Likes

Two awesome videos done by @Grover and Justin!

1 Like

Has anyone tried a mogwai family amp with the abyss 1266? Was it a good match?

Ive used a Mogwai and and a Bigger Ben with my 1266 2022 edition and enjoyed.

3 Likes

Bought the Red October last month. Amazing so far. Can’t wait to hear it once I upgrade to WE 300b. Using it on TC1266. I’m not a professional reviewer by any means but I seem to enjoy it more than my WA33. Instrument and vocals are just addictive without loss of detail. Love it so far

3 Likes

I need to get a new set of tubes for my Kenzie Ovation - would anyone have particular brand recommendations? Don’t want to spend a bloody fortune - something akin to the stock tubes that came with the unit. Thanks for any help!

So no Western Electric :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

<checks prices…>. :flushed:

Wow…

1 Like

Am I correct that the 12SL7 input tube on the Kenzie Ovation is compatible with 12AX7 tubes? More options with the latter than the former and some reviews I read suggested that 12AX7 tubes would work great.

Thanks!

Yep that’s correct. With an adapter you can run the 12A_7 family of tubes. I had an old Baldwin Organ 12au7 that I loved on my Ovation.

I’ve tried a few different 1626 brands and they all sounded the same more or less. Go with the cheapest you can find I’m sure they’ll sound great.

1 Like

I agree, those Baldwin tubes are bargains. You just have to know who made the tubes for Baldwin if you’re after a particular sound. From memory, yellow label Baldwins were made by Raytheon (a little warm of neutral) and green labels were made by Sylvania (more neutral).

2 Likes