AmpsandSound Amplifiers and Speakers builder

Nice, likewise.

20 char

3 Likes

@RatRage and @bpcarb

Any tonality or frequency differences that you noticed going from KT88 to Bendix? Does more punchy mean greater bass extension or lower frequency weight? Less rounded sounding?

Any thoughts as to whether the Kenzie or Mogwai are better matched for the ZMFs than the A&S- manufactured Pendant? If my other headphones were Focal Clears would the needle move in the direction of any of these?

This might be helpful:

1 Like

It means lower frequency weight, it has a lot more impact on bassy songs it is especially noticeable on tracks like bad guy

Iā€™m afraid that Iā€™ve yet to hear the Bendix and am interested myself.

1 Like

Uhhhh, thatā€™s really a tough one because of the other two tubes and different power they put out. I guess the Bendix is kinda the KT88 of the low power tubes with maybe more depth and holography (at least compared to new Gold Lion). KT88 is a really linear tube though with extension on both ends. Itā€™s hard to get close to that with any other tube type tbh. Bendix gets close, but with a full midrange and nice depth as well.

There is only two power tubes I consider to sound better than the Bendix. Tung Sol 6550 and GEC KT88.

2 Likes

I believe it depends on your DAC and what sonic signature the DAC and headphone already have to your ears, and what influence you want the amp to have, if any.

Other distinctions that might be relevant and determinative: tube rectification, feedback vs zero feedback, tube types used.

I recently compared the Mogwai SE to the Pendant OG, using the VC, HD800 SDR, Empyrean, HD6XX. Overall, I preferred the immediacy, impact, even tonality, and tonal weight of the Mogwai SE. The Pendant OG was more neutral and stages very well; itā€™s more solid state like with a touch of single ended goodness. This wasnā€™t really a fair fight as my Mogwai SE has larger output transformers, Jupiter caps, input transformer, and a more stout 5AR4/5U4G rectifier. All in all, there was more there, there. Whether the differences or amount thereof also exist with the Mogwai OG, Iā€™m not able to say.

I havenā€™t heard the Kenzie OG, but I would predict that I would place it between the Mogwai OG and Pendant OG/SE for use with ZMF and Focal.

The Pendant would likely benefit from being paired with a warm and euphonic not analytical DAC, for my preferences.

Update: the Mogwai SE in itā€™s native state leans a bit warm for my preference. Thus, I use the white incisive filter on my Chord Qutest, Be2 or Auteur pads with my VC, and a not warm tube roll.

6 Likes

One thing to factor in is the Bendix 6384 REQUIRES warm up time. I confirmed this with Justin and I tried experimenting with this myself. At the 30 minute mark, the tubes start opening up until the 50-ish minute mark where I think they start reaching their optimal operating temps and you get the best sound. Thatā€™s one thing I enjoyed more about the KT88 so far is the quicker turnaround to enjoymentā€¦ and all the benefits that RatRage has mentioned.

Mogwai SE is such a nice amp but itā€™s so easy to get lost with so many tubes to factor in that affects the sound. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

See additional input here, especially regarding sound signature and power.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t seen this posted here yet, but this is a great page w/ various KT88s.

If anyone has any experience w/ some of those tubes in the A+S, please share your thoughts!

After speaking at length with Justin (man, is he generous with his time and a delight to speak with), I am ready to pull the trigger on either the Mogwai SE or the Kenzie Ovation. Assuming I get the Jupiter caps on the Mogwai SE, the cost difference is not a factor.

My headphones are Focal Clear MG; Focal Celestee and a ZMF Aeolus being built as we speak. I value clarity, air, detail, strong vocals, but real punch when the music needs it.

I almost want to go with the Ovation if only to disincentivize me from excess tube-rolling (really, Iā€™m getting a chronic headache from thinking through tube amps, and component pre-amps and amps at the same time). Iā€™m not a tinkerer by nature; I want to be blown away and stay right there.

With this in mind, and understanding that this comes down to personal taste, any reactions/recommendations from all of you A&S users in the field as to what youā€™d do with my money?

Thanks for any feedback!

8 Likes

Anyone with experience on nearby electronics and EMI/RFI effects on A+S amps? For example, if I stacked a Mogwai on top of an Aurender music server, is it likely to pick up any noise?

Thanks.

The Kenzies are great amps. I have an original Kenzie and an Encore.

Output tubes are pretty much 1626, or 12B4A using adapters.
Input tubes is 12SL7/2C52 and 12A_7 family tubes with an adapter.

Canā€™t speak to the Ovation specifically, but output power on my two amps are somewhat limited. Build quality is excellent, and Iā€™m sure youā€™d be happy going with either one. I actually pondered upgrading the Encore to the Ovation, but for strictly headphone use, I decided against it.

1626 and 12SL7 tubes are inexpensive which is also a plus.

6 Likes

It might.

I have my Kenzie HA sitting atop of a Bryston BDP-2 music transport and next to a Chord Qutest DAC. I picked up some noise (static like), but when I changed the interconnects, it vanished.

@ktc

3 Likes

I can only comment on my decision to go with the Kenzie Ovation over the Mogwai SE. I decided to go with the Ovation because most of listening is done with either a HE560 or a ZMF Auteur. The Ovation with stock 1626 tubes has enough power for both, despite the HE560 being a bit harder to drive and applying an overall -3dB cut on the Audirvana output to keep necessary headroom and avoid distortion.

As you noted, tubes for the Ovation are relatively inexpensive and reasonably plentiful. I have several 12SN7, 12SL7, a 2C52 for input tubes and 1626 variants for output. Perhaps it is my ears, but tube rolling doesnā€™t make near as much difference, for me, as changing the output jack. Finding the right pairing for each headphone (and also matching my mood) has been more useful than changing out a particular tube. If you are concerned about tube nervosa, the Kenzie Ovation may be a better choice than the Mogwai SE.

I donā€™t recall the member who described the Ovation sound as warm and dark. It brings a romanticism and intimacy to the sound. So much so that I no longer use cross feed software when listening to tracks played through the Ovation.

At least for my headphones and listening needs, I am quite happy with my choice. And if I do find I need more output power, 12B4 tubes with adapters supposedly double the output.

2 Likes

I have my Kenzie Ovation sitting near two computer monitors, a Bifrost II DAC, and another headphone amp. I used modestly priced shielded RCA cables for all connections. The only interference I get is when I place my cell phone too close to the amp. Otherwise I have no audible interference. I hope this helps.

1 Like

This is a huge help and is clarifying my choice - and my amp will be right next to my monitor and DAC so youā€™ve addressed my concerns about the noise floor/interference. Thanks!

1 Like

100% to everything @Cryptowolf wrote.

I emphasize my earlier and shared opinion that tube rolling with the Ovation does not net significant differences outside of gain and potential noise floor but changing the impedance jack does.

I would also never call the Ovation ā€œdarkā€. My experience with the amp was that it is a very quiet, clean, 3D sound with body, but never dark. In fact, I often switched between different solid state amps and the Ovation and heard more detail and air in the Ovation than any of them.

Regrettably I cannot give any impressions of the Kenzie family of amps vs Mogwai but I know there are other members who have had bothā€¦

@Sturosen I am sure you will be very happy either way.

1 Like

Andā€¦I just purchased the Ovation! I was ready to purchase and these positive Ovation comments gave me the push I needed.

3 Likes