An audio engineer's quest for reference headphones... Pt. 1

I like your triangle drop downs. I’ll have to figure out how to use that. I never mind a bit of hand coding.

Hmmm. div class=lightbox-wrapper and so forth

3 Likes

Hahahahaha, thank you man. I just go by the simple logic of the tools of text editor. I had some pictures, I spaced them out by using “space”, then I selected them, and while they were selected I clicked “Hide spoilers” then it automatically puts them in these “triangles”. No coding, just took advantage of the tools :wink:

Example

This below is an attached picture. Just so it doesn’t appear as a picture, I added an extra space after “!”. If there were more picture, they would be separated with an empty row
! Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 19.27.17|690x290
(empty line)
(another picture)

2 Likes

Do you all remember way back to a time when you used to look at the product specs for the 20Hz - 20kHz figures, and considered that the mark of a good headphone? Or when you learned that figure had no meaning by itself whatsoever?

Apply that to a greater scope, and it’s apparent that items marketed as anything is just that - marketing. A headphone, at the most basic level, does one thing and one thing only - reproduce sound. Anything else is secondary or tertiary functions.

Aside - You would be a pretty Schiity marketing department if “it reproduces sound!” is all you said about a product tho, so I don’t really blame them for trying to aim products at specific customer groups with more flamboyant verbage and specs in an effort to maximize sales. It’s what they do.

For example - The DT990 pro is a headphone many audiophiles enjoy, although it is marketed as a studio tool. We don’t think “oh, this is meant for studios, so I shouldn’t use it at home” so why do we think pro’s don’t use home headphones in the studio? I’m willing to bet there are metric crap tons of HD600 & 650s in studios all over the place, and I’ve never seen them marketed as a studio only tool.

To think that anything marketed as a Studio headphone will be something you can “trust” to “truthfully represent sound without coloration” flies in the face of every experience I’ve had with any headphone, ever. From the Beyer DT series, to the Sony MDR-V6/7506, AKG 6 and 7 lines, ATH-M#0, etc. In fact, “Studio” headphones have been some of the most colored devices I’ve ever heard.

To me the entire argument is silly and pedantic. Ignore the marketing. Wash it from your brain. Reset your ideology. Find the tool that does what you want/need based on how it sounds, not what it’s marketed as, and let’s not split hairs over that which truly does not matter. :grin:

8 Likes

You’re a Discourse Ninja!. I read the user guide, and the advanced user guide, and I don’t recall seeing anything like that.

2 Likes

Marketing is something everybody should be way more aware of.

While HD600/650 may not be marketed as “studio” headphones, they are considered as one of the most neutral and “flat” headphones every produced. If you visit Ollo, you can see that they used the HD600 as a reference (no pun intended) for their S4X.

I tried to find the answer to the question of how do I actually prove that this marketing “reference-grade” is true? And, the answer I found was: there is no way. All of our ears differ, so it doesn’t exist. You would need to take huge measurements from everybody’s ears, then make an average and do a sh*t ton of expensive measurements and research.

To my question (on another forum), this individual said:
“headphones work on a different acoustic principle from loudspeakers (and live sound) our brains cannot use their exquisite mechanism that compensates for individual ear variations. So each person gets a different frequency response called the head-related transfer function (HRTF). This is not a subtle thing. Somewhere on YouTube there is a video that plays back the wildly different things different people are hearing when they listen to exactly the same source sound”, that video is:

This is just about ear canal difference, it doesn’t include the pinna or concha variations - conclusion: impossible to find a general reference that works for everybody.

Apparently this doesn’t apply to loudspeakers (I still don’t fully understand why), I’m assuming that this means that there is a thing such as “reference loudspeaker” - which essentially studio monitors are, reference speakers.

Business is business. Of course manufacturer’s job is to make as many sales as possible, this will be done with the help of several (well studied) marketing techniques. Naming is just one of them - the simplest form of marketing manipulation is visual content: photography/videography. Have you ever seen a McDonald’s commercial? Yup, that’s the same technique that can be applied to audio gear (though I haven’t seen as much of it for headphones) - at the end of the day, (majority) companies who make audio products do it to make money and as much profit as possible… you can’t stop it. It’s our job to be aware of it and know that it is just marketing.

Hah, I didn’t find it there either - I just reverse engineered it - hide details is a feature that allows you to hide something behind that little triangle. What did I want to do? Hide my pictures so they don’t suffocate the thread, so pop 'em behind the “hide details” feature, and bam. Done.
There aren’t many limitations to the text edit tools, there are many ways to use them as you can see :smiley:

btw - that video seems to be quite interesting (I still didn’t find the time or will to watch it), so I recommend that you watch it. Many found it quite interesting and educative. I must say, this guy (from forum) does seems to be quite a bit passionate about sound, seems like an older gentleman.

3 Likes

A lot of this has to do with cultural traditions and which brand was first in reaching a specific audience. Stovepipes. Tribes. This is not necessarily driven by quality and not necessarily the best today.

Pro audio brands often don’t cross over to aficionado or audiophile brands, and vice versa. The historical standards do cross over (e.g., Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic), if only because they were one of few realistic options for decades. I bought the HD-600 in large part because of its reputation as a studio standard – and largely blind to the audiophile brand spectrum. I went in to a store looking for the 600/650 – the salesdude offered but didn’t press some huge wooden Grados on account of my ear shape…! I knew the Beyer name from elementary school and the mandatory annual hearing tests.

Once one is stuck in a tradition it becomes hard to escape or get away from common ground and established touchstones. Studio headphones are about (1) monitoring general quality by musicians who truly don’t care about audiophile-grade delivery, and (2) engineers who need to clean up issues. They often have damaged high-range hearing due to constant music exposure and age, and therefore need bright headphones do the job. Some music producers strongly warn against mastering on headphones at all, as the outcome can sound worse on speakers than vice versa.

Pro audio headphones also get mixed up with DJs/live sound production. Live pros must use closed cup headphones to avoid environmental noise and have limited potential for hearing nuances in a club during a rock concert (e.g., they often use the $90 Sony MDR-7506 coiled-cord standard).

See above, there is an enduring tradition to use monitor speakers in studios for production decisions. Headphones and IEMs are for previews or for individuals to hear their own music above the rest of a band (studio or live).

BTW, if you ever buy a pocket knife or hunting knife be aware that ‘surgical grade steel’ is a giveaway that the product is aimed at naive users. Surgery involves cutting soft tissues and could literally be accomplished with a shrunken kitchen knife. They are the same quality level – and similar to Victorinox tools.

5 Likes

[completely off-topic]
Funny you mention knives, a few years ago I remember watching a video from Joerg Sprave - he showed this “crazy” big scalpel knife, and ever since I have not forgotten that knife. The knife is called “Piranta” by a company called Havalon. Just the idea of human hand or skin touching that thing - gives me goosebumps. Yikes

To preface this, I was not sure which thread to post this in, so feel free to move/delete this mods-

I came across this youtuber/ mastering engineer who compares 3 mid/upper-fi cans that I think are quite popular in this forum if anyone would like to see a mastering engineer’s point of view and comparison on the HEDDphone/ Focal Clear Pro/ LCD-X:

7 Likes

It is true that some engineering jobs are more in-depth than others, but when an audio engineer who has a BS or MA is doing it, it is both advanced and math-heavy. Isn’t just about the physics of sound. It also includes things like the biology of hearing, how sound waves move through space, how different shapes and sizes affect sound waves, and how radio technologies work. It also includes the math and practical use of many heavy equipment (all with unique physical attributes). In many cases, audio engineering also requires a strong background in surround sound headphones.

I have removed the link that you posted inside your text leading to a random site.

If you are going to include links inside your text, please at least make it clear why you are linking the site.

1 Like

I would never send one of my records to any mastering engineer relying on these headphones without EQ :woman_shrugging: