Android and Audio Formats/Sampling Rates

LOL

1 Like

Hello and welcome @VegasCorona.

2 Likes

Welcome @VegasCorona!

1 Like

Very interesting and informative. I use UAPP and love it. Someone on Head Fi stated the Hiby app and the LG app both bypass Android resampling as well. Is this true?

Hi, just jumping into this thread if that is OK because I am struggling to understand if/how android may be limiting the sound quality of music I am streaming to an LG G6 with quad dac.
Amazon HD indicates a song is available at 24/96 but says my device is only capabke of 24/48 and so defaults to that.
I have added uapp with mqa and also selected amazon streaming for ‘some LG devices’ (which i guess must be for those with the quad dac option). Despite this I am not getting the higher sample rate.

Do you have any ideas why this may be, please? Thanks.

2 Likes

It might be a settings issue, so you may have to tweak the HiRes driver settings/flags/options to get it working. I can’t help you with that since I don’t use UAPP or Android phones.

It’s also possible, perhaps even likely, that while UAPP Pro claims the G6 is compatible (according to their site they have not tested it fully i.e. via frequency analysis), that compatibility has either been broken (via an OS update for example) or was never actually working properly at all.

Enabling “Direct” mode in UAPP and seeing “Direct” as the play state doesn’t guarantee anything. It just means that the audio stack basically said “Yes, okay, we’re in Direct mode” to the calling app. It can still wind up routing the audio via the normal stack.

1 Like

@Torq Do you know if ibasso dx300 can bypass the sampling issue system wide for 3rd party streaming apps? Is mango their solution here? So, that means, no?

DTA on n6ii appears to be able to. And I think r6 2020 and a&k se180 (or any other a&k does, though the info here is a bit sketchy. if you have a link I would love to see it).

Of that group, I just want one that will play apple lossless, actually lossless next month. That is all.

n6ii is where I am leaning. Do you have any current thoughts/advice for streamers trying to deal with this issue?

Thanks!

No clue.

I lost interest in actually using/owning iBasso’s stuff years ago. Some nice hardware innovations over the years, and their amplifier circuits have gotten much quieter … but I got tired of myriad firmware issues that, if they did get fixed usually introduced more problems, so I stopped paying attention. Same thing happened with FiiO.

Sorry, no idea here either.

It’s not the kind of thing that A&K put in their marketing materials/specs, but they’ve been bypassing Android’s internal audio stack for years. There’s a confirmation here from 2018 from their US rep. Scroll back in the thread if you want more context.

Buy an A&K or an iPhone (and get used to using a wired dongle until at least the next generation of AirPod products). Presuming people carry a phone with them anyway, in either case its one more thing to carry.

2 Likes

I concur. For the five minutes I had either of their products, it was bad.

Wiring is fine in the evening. Just not during the day. Also, separating the music from the phone is very appealing.

No comment on n6ii?

Are you aware of any high quality portable airplay products? Airplay is at least a step up over aac.

Wait, now we’re back to the Chord Poly or 2go (both do AirPlay) :smiley:

Ha! I know. Neither make any kind of sense in a pocket though. :wink:

It’s a great little DAP. I’ve posted elsewhere on what I think of the various modules for it. But I can’t comment on it in the context of Apple Music as I’ve never run that on the N6ii.

Never thought about it, since AirPlay requires WiFi.

1 Like

Your pockets may surprise you! The mojo/poly combo is smaller than an iPhone 12 Pro (although 14mm thicker).

1 Like

Smaller than it looks! Interesting. What may be more interesting is the mojo without the poly.

If I need to wire…

Was looking for a place to discuss and ask questions about UAPP, USB App Pro for Android. I just picked up a cheap (Blackview) $79 Android 12 tablet. I was looking for something to keep at least familiar with Android, and it replaces my cheap throwaway Android 8 tablet.

It’s been a while since I used Android, and I’ve got it set up now with most of my apps. UAPP has been updated a few revisions. It seems to offer better support for Qobuz (I gave up Tidal between tablets). Using UAPP, it works flawlessly playing through the USB-C iFi -go near dongle DAC/APP. It reports resolution, works exactly as expected.

However, it does not support other media players like Apple Music or Radio Paradise. If UAPP is off, it will come on and offer to take over the USB port when I plug in the iFi-Go. But no sound comes out.

If I stop UAPP, and unplug the USB iFi-Go, then I get sound through the speaker. I do not get any sound through the iFi-Go without UAPP.

I;m not sure if this is an iFi-GO question or a UAPP question. Perhaps @SebastienChiu would know. Do I need some kind of OTG adapter for the iFi go to work? It’s fine on iPad and MacBook Pro with USB-C.

I had thought that UAPP supported more than Tidal, Qobuz, UPNP, and local files, but I don’t see how to configure it. Thoughts?

When you launch UAPP for the first time, it will ask you two things

First, if you want to allow it to access the external DAC (if there is an external DAC connected of course, if not, it will tell you there isn’t one and ask if you want to use Android stacks).

Second it will ask if you want it to launch automatically each time the external DAC is connected.

The first is obviously a yes, the second is up to you, I prefer no because I use other things. However, even if selecting no, it still asks if you want to launch UAPP when you connect the DAC, just that it doesn’t launch automatically.

Then, inside UAPP, in the settings menu, there is an option to “release” the DAC if you close UAPP without using the exit button. If this is unchecked, the DAC will still be exclusive to UAPP even when it is not playing (I find that closing by means of swiping and not using the exit button, doesn’t close down the app completely).

Finally, for each extra app you want to use with the DAC, you need to give the app USB audio permissions. Most apps will ask for it when opening them with the DAC connected but if not, you can do it in the Android settings under app permissions.

Regarding extra services with UAPP, as far as I am aware, it has always (or at least for the past few years) been Tidal, Qobuz, UPNP, Local and Network Radio.

Can’t figure out where to give apps usb permission in Android 12. Media permission yes. Looked in settings and app settings. Still get no USB sound with YouTube, Apple Music or anything. Speaker works. Qobuz through usb works with uapp.

I think I am allowing other apps to access usb and have stopped uapp.

Later note here- This may be something to do with hardware. I put on a USB hub (a "to go" device) and attached my Dragonfly Cobalt. USB sound works. Seems to work whether or not I am using UAPP, but it is quieter when I am using UAPP. Apple Music works. YouTube works.

I go back to the iFi-Go, and the only thing that works is Qobuz via UAPP.

How do you like that kettle of fish? @SebastienChiu I know you have a lot of experience with iFi products.

That certainly is weird. So nothing else works in UAPP except Qobuz? No local files or network radio etc?

Do you have another Android device to try the Go on?

Qobuz is all I have to try under UAPP. I assume that local files and network radio would work. I don’t have any music files on it. I used to have my windows music player on as UPNP, but there’s little point to that since I run ROON.
I do have the Android 8 phablet, I can try that.

I’ll try and experiment more over the weekend, but this is fairly low priority playing around.

Have you gone into Android Developer mode yet and checked there? I know there are allot of extras/goodies to play with ~

1 Like