Apple Music Lossless

What kind of problems are you having?
For my “serious” listening, I plug into a Dell Precision 3430 desktop through JDS amp and DAC.
Exclusive mode always works flawlessly for me with Amazon HD.

1 Like

The main problem Roon solved for me was putting streams and local music in full available resolution on a stereo without a full computer rig (with fans and software maintenance needs) nearby. The combo of Raspberry pi endpoints and a core has worked wonders for my music consumption.

Apple Music, Spotify, or any of the other streamers by themselves do not solve this problem. So, I will continue to use Roon until I can come up with another low maintenance easily controlled bridge to my main system.

The irritating thing is that is now three subscriptions, for Roon, Qobuz for streaming through Roon, and Apple Music, for loading to watrches for phone-less workouts. But a desire for less subscriptions does not solve the tech or ease of access to music on my main system problem. Really wish Apple TV still came with a SPDIF out.

3 Likes

The AMC Pacer was a “great car.” Superior visibility and you couldn’t spin the thing out driving in ice or snow.

It was like driving in a fishbowl. I acquired one from my in-laws back in the late 80s. :grinning:

2 Likes

One solution I have in my head right now (for myself) is to install an AirPlay 2 compatible OS on the Raspberry Pi endpoints (like RoPieee XL), then use AirPlay 2 from the AppleTV to send lossless digital audio around the house to the endpoints.

No idea if the AppleTV upsamples or downsamples stuff before sending it out, so definitely have to experiment with it, but I think AirPlay is the only option with Apple Music.

Airplay isn’t lossless.

1 Like

AirPlay 1 is lossless at 16-bit/44 kHz (and maybe 48 kHz?). AirPlay 2 can be lossless but isn’t guaranteed to be—or at least that’s what I’ve read.

It never actually bumps up to 48, (that I am aware of.)

Your understanding mirrors mine.

1 Like

This article explains the problem with Amazon music hd and bit perfect. Amazon Music HD Is Still Lossy - Bits and Bytes - Audiophile Style

The second/third generation Apple TV optical output was fixed at 16/48. I think it would accept AirPlay audio at that sample rate, too, but that was a long time ago so I’m not certain.

That’s funny, I was just looking to see if the new Apple Music could be installed on the old Tv’s. The optical out would have made it a great endpoint for me for switching to Apple Music from Roon. Oh well. Back to reading about running Apple Music on a raspberry pi in a container.

I can’t imagine Apple allowing integration into Android’s USB Audio Player Pro either (I assume they would have to allow the dev access to their code to integrate the service into the Android app?), so while Apple Music may offer high res streaming, Android users will probably be capped at Android’s native 16/48. Fortunately for Apple, probably only like 1/10 of 1% of the market would even know that, though.

I read completely through it and also all of the comments. I’m less than totally convinced of his complaints and somewhat off put by his bias right from the opening statement.
I also read Audiogon’s forum for fun and entertainment. The similarities I see are too much preoccupation
with numbers, hardware and endless tweaking. All of my music playback equipment (except my Martin guitars) is pretty low dollar, especially compared to what most people on these forums have.
I am a child of the 60’s. I listened to music when I was in high school from a transistor radio hanging from the mirror of my 1956 Mercury.
To get to the point, with what I have, both portable with headphones , computer and Stereo rig. I have learned to not let perfect get in the way of good. To my 73 year old ears, my stuff sounds really good to me. I am not an audiophile but I really enjoy music.
With my Windows desktop running Amazon Ultra HD through JDS Atom DAC and Amp feeding my Hifimann Anandas and Exclusive mode on, I’m in the zone.

5 Likes

Hmm, you can think what you want about Apple, but for HiFi lovers and streaming users, it is currently a huge advantage that Apple has such market power. Today, after Amazon, TIDAL has halved its high res prices.

1 Like

All I can tell you is my ears match the article, that qobuz sounds better. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Lotoo PAW S1 Type-C to Lightning Cable

3 Likes

I am aware. It’s also a length and function thing. My iphone needs to be independently usable at all times. Plus, the only amps I have genuinely liked really aren’t “portable”. Think idsd micro signature. I tried for a month to live with that in one pocket and the iphone in another with a spiderweb of cables. It might have been ok if the usb and headphone jack were on the same side of the signature. maybe. But the way it is, I couldn’t deal with it. But then, the pockets I was using went away and that really killed it. (winter vs summer clothes)

I have been trying to find a sling or belt/bag that would work well all year for a dap or an amp. No dice so far.

1 Like

What about the bag that comes withj the ifi Diablo? Also, some (older) small camera bags might work - I do have an older Crumpler bag (Crumpy Guy 0.6), that holds a phone / DAP and DAC/Amp.

1 Like

I envision you wearing something like this:

:grimacing:

2 Likes

These guys make a ton of bags! Will need to do a lot of exploring to see if something fits.

My favorite bag to date is “the buzz” by tom bihn which is long discontinued:

I have one. It’s just too big for what I need. I no longer carry an ipad and small camera at all times. Or really anything but pocket stuff. And, the buzz is far too big for what I need. I have a number of Tom Bihn bags, and all look and function like the day they were purchased. Despite some approaching multiple decades of ownership. Their baby bags are second to none.

@generic No, of course I would never wear that!!! But… where can I buy one? :wink:

1 Like

Search for “GoPro chest harness.” I actually own one! It came in a GoPro kit, along with a waterproof case, connection brackets, mounts, etc. I’ve never used it, but my wife rolled on the floor the one time I tried it on.

1 Like