Audeze Maxwell Wireless Planar Magnetic Gaming Headphones - Official Discussion Thread

Introducing the new Audeze Maxwell Planar Magnetic Wireless Gaming Headset, available in both Xbox and Playstation versions.

Unrivaled Audio

Powered by Audeze’s latest 90mm planar magnetic drivers, with over 3X the driver area of leading competitors, Maxwell delivers powerful bass and pinpoint precision. Audeze drivers are trusted by leading recording and game studios worldwide, and feature patented technologies including Uniforcevoice coils, Fluxor magnets, and Fazor waveguides. Experience class-leading high-resolution audio up to 24-bit/96kHz over Wireless or USB.

Highlights

• 80hr+ Battery Life with Fast Charge for All Day Play in 20 min
  • Ultra-Low Latency Wireless with 3X Range of Traditional 2.4Ghz
  • First-in-Class Bluetooth 5.3 supports LE Audio, LC3plus, LDAC
  • Class-Leading High-Resolution Audio up to 24-bit/96kHz
  • Embedded Dolby Atmos® License (Xbox version only)
  • All-New Reinforced Chassis Built with Aluminum and Steel
  • FILTER™ Noise Reduction Technology for Clear Communications
  • Award-winning Audeze 90mm Planar Magnetic Drivers

What’s In The Box?

• Maxwell headset
  • Detachable hypercardioid boom microphone
  • USB-C wireless dongle
  • USB-C to USB-C cable
  • USB-C to USB-A adapter cable
  • 3.5mm TRRS analog cable
  • Quickstart guide and warranty card

The Audeze Maxwell is expected to start shipping in early January.

10 Likes

Here are the frequency response measurements of the Audeze Maxwell, done on the B&K 5128.

The Audeze Maxwell has a number of different presets, the results of which I’ll post below as well, but my general evaluation of this is going to be based on the ‘Audeze’ preset. Also worth noting is that this is all entirely done with the wireless DONGLE on a PC - and that’s important because the Maxwell also has other connectivity available. I will be doing additional testing for some time with the Maxwell, but this is its core functionality.

Note that this headphone uses DSP in all modes, and my primary testing is done with the dongle, and it is MEANT to be used like this. I know there will always be someone wanting to know how it sounds with a cable and using it from a fancy amplifier, but let me just say if that is how you primarily want to use a headphone, I suggest looking at a wired alternative and not the Maxwell. This isn’t one where you get the best sound by running it with 3.5mm from a fancy amplifier, that connection is just there for convenience.

Raw - the target is diffuse field with an 8dB slope applied

Compensated

Here are the presets:
Note the higher smoothing just to make the differences easier to read

Treble Boost

Bass Boost

Immersive

Competition

Footsteps

So, leaving the presets aside for now, the default Audeze preset makes the Maxwell one of the best measuring (and sounding) headphones I’ve come across at the $300 price point - certainly for closed-back wireless headphones. There are a couple of fine-grained quirks, but the Maxwell’s general sound signature is very close to our reference curve, and dare I say this is the best measuring Audeze headphone to date! Turns out DSP is a hell of a drug.

While this is all still a preliminary judgement (subject to change), I am truly impressed by what they’ve achieved here at the Maxwell’s asking price. And… even though this is a headphone targeted at gamers, I expect this is going to be a hit with the audiophile crowd for music listening as well - especially those looking for a generally neutral or neutral with a bass boost kind of sound signature.

Now, speaking personally… I do think I’d prefer maybe 2dB less energy around 3khz, because I’m particularly sensitive to that region, but that’s about all I can nitpick with this one for the moment. There’s still lots more to test before giving a full review, but the Audeze Maxwell is a headphone that should be on your radar if you’re looking for a great sounding wireless closed-back headphone around the $300 price point.

Notes:

• Not nearly as clampy as Audeze’s other recent releases like the MM-500 or LCD-5. It’s on the heavy side compared to other gaming products, but I’d say quite comfortable by audiophile standards.
  • Build feels very solid and durable. This is a well-built product.
  • Technical performance is certainly acceptable at this price point - it’s not going to blow you away for image separation or dynamics, but it’s on the good end of what I’d expect at this price point for being able to hear the finer little nuances in the mix. Not nearly as blunted as the Panda for example.
  • Soundstage is a bit intimate, and I think this is a consequence of the tuning being more ‘filled in’ throughout the mids and upper mids. For gaming, I’ll have to test some of the additional presets to see how that goes. People tend to overvalue soundstage because they think it matters in games, but we’re in the process of testing these assumptions and it’s not that straightforward.
13 Likes

Easily one of the best things I heard at CanJam. Knew it’d measure well but man, had no idea it’d be hugging the target that well! Looks like Audeze has a home-run on their hands :smiley:

5 Likes

I’ve had mine for almost two weeks. They are like a mini lcd-xc. A bit heavy but not bad. They sound amazing, and I forget I’m free to runaround the house. The range is amazing. I even modded them by putting some suade brainwave pads on them as the stock pads are a tiny bit spicy. I’d highly recommend them. The comfort and sound is very nice for the price.

3 Likes

I just wish they were a little more clampy, I’m using my pair when at the gym and there are times I feel like it’s about to fall off.

Seal is always a problem for me with closed backs. How’s the on-head response with and without a good seal?

It’s fine on my head but my head is also XL at least. Smaller heads may have seal issues, but I should note the seal was fairly consistent on the 5128 as well, and that head is smaller than mine.

1 Like

Any chance I could sweet-talk you into doing air gap measurements of the sort you’ve sometimes done before?

Not at the moment, but eventually. You can expect the Fs to be higher than what you get with like… HiFiMAN headphones, but realistically this shouldn’t matter to anyone since the coupling seems fairly consistent.

1 Like

I don’t know why but my mind immediately jumped to this when I read this :joy:

Please carry on with your real discussion around the headphones.

3 Likes

What did I miss?

3 Likes

Are these even better than AKG’s K371 or K361 then? I know it’s totally different connection types, but I’m curious.

1 Like

A comprehensive review, and includes gamer perspective.

2 Likes

What about the channel balance in your pair @Resolve ?

Seen quite a few people complaining that

1 Like

After updating the firmware and switching to the dongle the channel matching is totally fine on this unit.

4 Likes

Hi @Resolve

Can you do a quick 'n dirty ANC test?

Play a sweep 20-20k Hz from speakers and measure what the 5128 picks up inside the Maxwell earcups?

It’s not ANC… as far as I’m aware.

1 Like

Has anyone else tried the Maxwells?

I’m curious how they compare to audiophile headphones like the DCA Aeon 2 Noire for music listening. Or to TRUTHEARx Crinacle Zero IEMs, for that matter.

Thanks

I wouldn’t compare it to the TruthEar Zero, as Harman IE has… issues. Compared to the Noire, I’d say the Maxwell is a bit closer to Harman OE 2018, but a bit more focused towards upper mids and not as much treble. But also you can of course use the presets to treble boost if you want that.

1 Like

I wouldn’t compare it to the TruthEar Zero, as Harman IE has… issues.

Interesting… Over at Audio Science Review people say it’s kind of an endgame IEM for a ridiculously low price. How come you don’t like them?

Compared to the Noire, I’d say the Maxwell is a bit closer to Harman OE 2018, but a bit more focused towards upper mids and not as much treble. But also you can of course use the presets to treble boost if you want that.

So they’re pretty comparable and it’s just a matter of taste? Because that would be huge, especially considering the $300 vs $900 price difference!