Audeze MM-500 Announced June 3rd, 2022

I wondered the same. Based on what @Resolve stated, it would seem they perform similarly in that department. I’ve been toying with moving from the LCD-X 2021 to the MM-500 simply based on weight and comfort improvements (I don’t mind clamp force and my head is of “normal” size), but I certainly wouldn’t make the change if I was losing bass presence, impact and overall performance.

1 Like

Yeah, ditto on everything you said. A lighter more comfortable LCD-X sounds finger licking good but maybe unrealistic?

I think Audeze knocked it out of the park re the bass qualities of the X. Could they duplicate all that goodness with a smaller diaphragm? I don’t know. I own an LCD-XC and even a headphone with the exact same diaphragm has lost the bass goodness of the LCD-X IMHO. I await other’s impressions.

Blessings,
-J

1 Like

I’d say certainly not ‘better’ in that regard, and if you really want bass impact I’d aim for one of the Focals, or a fostex. But not really worse either.

4 Likes

I agree that the Utopia has better bass slam and agility than my LCD-X, but the LCD-X bass sounds BIGGER and has better decay, texture, and extension. So it depends on what you’re looking for probably.

2 Likes

I’m finally getting all of my thoughts together for my full impression and review of the MM-500. It’s been a somewhat roller coaster ride with it.

I suppose if this says something: I am finally good in knowing that I got rid of my Arya SE in order to get this.

I’m glad I took my time with this one also as I’ve grown to really appreciate what Audeze is trying to accomplish with this HP. Sometimes companies will state their intention with a piece of gear that makes you scratch your head and wonder. That is definitely not the case with the MM-500, to me.

With that, I’m still trying not to get too involved in this discussion or any other impressions to taint my own thoughts! Hey, it’s my first Audeze. I think I chose well :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That’s great news! When you’re ready, I’ll be happy to read your impressions. Happy listening!

1 Like

I’m also looking forward to your impressions. I’m torn as whether or not to trade in my LCD-X for the MM’s. It would have to rock my world for me to make the change as I’m so trained to my X’s.

Blessings,
-J

1 Like

Audeze MM-500 Live From CamJam 2022 with Sankar from Audeze!

2 Likes

Sankar is a very nice guy. He will happily chat you up about Audeze headphone technology whenever you cross his path.

I don’t view the LCD-X and MM-500 as an either or. I view them as a complementary pair. I plan to get both. Both. Why not both? I don’t use EQ for critical listening so the only way for me to get both the classic Audeze sound and the Harman style midrange is to have two headphones each tuned differently.

I have a couple of different headphone amps. One is the Cavalli Liquid Fire. It pairs really really well with the classic Audeze tuning of the LCD-2/3/X. Just wonderful synergy with the classic Audeze house sound. I have no need or desire to EQ the LCD-2/3/X when using that amp. Then I recently got the Monolith Liquid Gold X amp. It drives the LCD-2 and LCD-X very nicely and has the Cavalli liquid sound. But leaves me desperately wanting to EQ the midrange to match the Harman midrange target. The LCD-X with no EQ just leaves me wanting when using that amp. So I need to find a planar headphone I like with that Harman midrange built in. The MM-500 looks like the perfect match for a planar to pair with the Liquid Gold X.

I don’t have the MM-500 yet. I plan to buy it soon. I will be keeping the LCD-X. As long as I have the Liquid Fire amp (and Liquid Platinum) I will always need to have an Audeze headphone that has that classic Audeze sound. For me when deciding between the MM-500 and LCD-X it’s both. I need both.

3 Likes

I’m sorry @Hammy, I didn’t realize until now that you were replying to my post. Otherwise I would have responded sooner.

Your reasons for wanting to own and keep both headphones seem to meet your needs.

My needs are a bit different the first and foremost is money. Simply put, I can’t afford to own both right now. As much as I might want to. Needs must I guess.

Thanks for your input!
Blessings,
-J

1 Like