Audeze - Official Thread

So cool! How hard was this mod to do? This could make Focal headphones actually fit my head.

Not that hard at all, the hardest part was disassembling the Focal headband - had to try take out the screws without doing much damage to the shiny mocha / cognac yoke with the Stellias, was really tight. Also needed a bit of drilling of the Audeze yokes, one size up.

Given I’ve seen others swap out HIFIMAN headbands to ZMF, I’m sure it could fit that too.

2 Likes

Stellia was that uncomfortable? I felt they were pretty good…

Yeah, a little, don’t have a perfectly round head, in fact a little flat top. Also the squeaky Focal headband. The Audeze headbands also allows swiveling sideways.

1 Like

Went ahead and swapped the leather-free ear pads on the LCD-R:

PXL_20220121_052407158

Rear view - Left are the leather-free’s and right are the real leathers.

Front view - Left are the real leathers and right are the leather-free’s.

The leathers seem a little thicker, maybe cause they’re new? But they do seem to compress less so helps with preventing my ears from touching the fazors (which seems to happen when the cups are off center, not as bad as others).

7 Likes

Similar experience with compression. An LCD-X loaner I’ve tried with the 2021 pleathers had issues with the fazors touching my ears but my personal 2F wearing 2021 leathers does not have that issue

2 Likes

How do you like the 2F with the new style pads?

1 Like

My lcd3 pre fazor is modded. I removed the dampening in front of the driver, and added a few different types of dampening to the rear. I truly think it resolves as much as other $2k plus headphones. I have heard the lcd5 and think it would be a waste of money personally. As long as these old drivers do not give up. I am not buying another headphone in that price range unless it performs at a way higher level. I think Audeze is catching on and sealing the rear of lcd5, so tinkerers can’t change the rear dampening… If you find one I recommend modding it. The timbre does not disappoint either and I love Sennheiser.

1 Like

Found this - Why We Use Adhesive to Attach Earpads on our Upper-end Headphone Models

1 Like

So after testing the main line
LCD 2 classic
LCD 2
LCD x
Lcd3
Lcd4
Lcd5

My taste is for 2 and 3. Are those I didn’t list inline with 2 and 3?

I tried, and failed, to review the LCD-2 closed back. Headphones.com was kind enough to send me a pair. I tried and tried, but disliked them very much, finally making an awful hash of review, and getting banned from any future review tours in the process. I found that the only music that sounded good on them was Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells.

2 Likes

Hi. I just received my new pair of LCD-5s and like the sound very much. There is an issue with this particular pair of headphones that maybe someone can assist me with:

The up and down detent mechanism on the right ear cup is very loose and does not hold the setting. I can pick up the headphones by the headband and the right earcup falls to it’s lowest position via gravity alone. Is there anything I can do to correct this or do the phones have to go back?

Thanks!

There is a small hole in the part that holds the headband and rod. Use a small Allen key and turn clockwise a couple turns.

This will tension up that whole mechanism.

4 Likes

Thank goodness for people like you! I appreciate it very much! Inside the hole I found a 2mm equivalent hex head screw that when turned about a half a turn CW did the trick.

1 Like

If you were offered the
LCD-2 (current 2020 regular fazor one)
or the
LCD-X (current 2021 one)
and you could eq them to your heart’s desire
(or they’re eq’d to have the same frequency response)
which would you take?
what are their differences?
(other than tonality due to frequency response)
are the differences big?

I’d take the 2021 X. Better clarity/detail retrieval and better separation of instruments. Imaging is a little more precise to my ears as well. I felt the soundstage width was a wash.

I know you said forget about tonality, but with the 2021 X having better tonality, you won’t have to boost as much using EQ, therefore there should be more headroom for the amplifier.

7 Likes

Totally the X. The differences are pretty apparent, especially in imaging and detail, and this is all after EQ correction.

4 Likes

Our latest YT video and first look of the Audeze Euclid In-Ear is live!

We also announced with the support of Audeze we will be giving away one Euclid to one lucky winner! The Contest link is in the video description. Good luck!

4 Likes

So, I have been working on a small meet here in Pittsburgh and Audeze are helping out. We are going to have the LCD-2 Classic, LCD-X, LCD-3, as well as the new MM-500 and Audeze just confirmed that they are sending the CRBN electrostatic!

Details can be found here:

6 Likes

Crinacle’s recent Audeze factor tour allowed him access to and measure the LCD-R:

7 Likes