Audeze - Official Thread

Does it do this with no source connected?

Or is the noise actually coming from the source and the amplification is just bringing it above the ambient noise floor (rather than being from the amplifier itself, as I got NO noise from the Jotunheim R with no input).

Edit: My bad, your post says with no input.

So, now it’s just a question of whether that’s nothing connected vs. nothing playing.

1 Like

Initially I had tried it with nothing playing but since you asked, I tried it with nothing connected to the Jot-R. In either case, there is no discernible noise listening with my SR1a with the Jot-R volume control at 100%.

2 Likes

Interested to see how it is

Any ideas on the dimensions of the new upgraded pads? Just wondering how much deeper the Dekoni replacement pads are in comparison:

Does the LCD-R come with the new pads?

Afaik LCd-R pads are similar bjt slightly different than most the 2021 pads (as per a guy on headfi with 2021 XC) but I would double check that. Maybe @Grover would know?

Same as the new leather-free pads as far as I know. Same pads across the full size lineup - again, as far as I personally know.

2 Likes

Tyvm for the input. That was what I understood from what audeze said directly so I was kinda wondering if maybe that guys “2021” LCD-XC were actualy pre-revision since he seemed to be describing the old pads

1 Like

D8000 Pro vs LCD-R

Ok, so going back and forth between the LCD-R (on jot A) and D8000P (on my best amp for it), I think they are within the same tier but I think the LCD-R just nudges the D8kp out in the majority of technical areas. This is a bit hard to compair purely because they present so differently though.

Detail: I think in raw outright detail the LCD-R wins Looses (dont know how I mistyped this, sorry), but its detail is also quite a bit more forward. Where the d8kp realy shines in the category though is dynamic range. It renders nearly silent background tracks in an almost ethereal manner that makes them far easier to follow than on the LCD-R, but in heavily congested tracks the LCD-R feels like it has an extra level of clarity that allows for detail to shine though much more easily.

Stage and layering: the stage size with both of these is a bit hard to pin down. Its neither small nor massive. They tend to fall in a more of middle road with stage size imo, but both do super low level sounds out from infinity quote well. Where these two differ quite greatly is how they use their stage. The LCD-R is a much more arya like experience with hyper clear imaging layering while the d8kp has a very dynamic stage as well (in that it uses its entire range of distances quite well) but presents the imaging in quite a different way focusing more on track cohesion than outright image clarity. This leads to some astonishingly good ambient music with amazing background mixes becoming quite involving and emotional but can struggle with raw detail in congested tracks. On the other hand the LCD-R can sound comparatively sterile at times rendering you each part of the music separately in its own image but truly excelling at detail in congested tracks.

Punch & slam: tbh, neither can realy shines here but the d8kp hits a bit harder while the R feels snappier and faster. Over all their bass is quite equal in quality just slightly different presentations and stagings.

Texture: this one is a bit of a toss up over all. I think the mid texture is subjectively more to my preference on the d8kp but the bass texture is objectively better with the much faster driver. Micro details in the bass abound on both, but the R just does it ever so slightly better.

Timbre: the d8kp is no slouch but it has to go to the LCD-R here. Its seriously is in a leage of the highest tier in this area.

Complaints: both these fucks like to drive ice picks into my brain from time to time. Seriously wish I could find a darker can at this level…

Overall: they are quite different and, imo, fit will side by side in a 3-4 can collection but in a 2 can one thy are too similar simply due to the FR similarities alone

10 Likes

Nice feedback. Agree on the timbre.

Which amp was your best amp for the D8000? The tough thing with comparing the headphones, since they’re locked into the Jot-A, is how much of the comparison is related to the amp differences vs. the headphones.

WaveTheory posted a review of the LCD-R

2 Likes

Excited to join the Audeze family. Just starting my high end audio journey. Purchased a Monolith DAC/AMP and LCD-2C off Ebay. Can’t wait to see what I have been missing. DMS mentioned a vegan pad change out. Anyone know where I can get some of these? Also, where is the best place to pickup different cables?

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum and the Audeze family. I wouldn’t get too excited about Audeze vegan pads. They have not been available new for a long time. You could maybe find a used set. But I would be prepared to not find any. Plenty of other (mostly bad) options for pads though. First pads I would try are the ones that come with your set. Maybe they are already perfect for you? Then I would try the 2021 pads after that. Audeze LCD series are kind of a PITA to pad roll anyway, since you have to glue them on. If you want to tweak the sound in a way more effective manner just use some EQ. Did you get the Monolith THX 788 DAC amp with EQ? If so you have all you need to make those headphones really sing. I have used that unit a lot and it is a very good match for Audeze headphones in my experience.

1 Like

Thank you for your help. I will run with the stock pads as you suggest. I did get the Monolith THX 788 DAC amp with EQ. I am doing some research into how to EQ while I wait for the equipment to arrive. Again, thanks for the reply.

1 Like

I completely missed this post. I was using masskobo 428 for the D8000 Pro. Also, rereading my post, I completely mistyped on the detail section. The D8000 Pro is very much so more detailed than the LCD-R, the LCD-R is just much more agro with its detail

Leaked pics of the LCD-5? True or false?

11 Likes

Whatever that is I hope they updated their ear pad attachment solution to something that lets you pad roll more easily. A man can dream.

5 Likes

#truth

And I have zero hope they’ll be “affordable” haha.

3 Likes

Honestly I’m not a fan. I feel like they look like susvara, Diana, and lcd-4 merged. In that the design, it has lost the beauty and design that made lcd series different. This looks too much like other headphones but smaller.

I doubt this is lcd-5 and believe it is more just a presentation to consider and influence final product.

If this is the LCD-5, I will be one of the first to place an order. I think it looks like a logical and elegant evolution of the current line. The weight of the LCD line has never bothered me but less bulk is always welcome. Love it.

1 Like

The top view in the second picture does have a Hifiman look to them… somewhat. I like the look of the current LCD cups better but that yoke, rod, and headband look intriguing.

1 Like