Aune - Official Thread

I am not sure if an individual thread for each Aune product will gather much attention but I do know that there are a few Aune users/owners on the forum, so I thought I would open this general Aune thread, to discuss any of their models).

(If a specific model should need its own thread, this can always be split later).

4 Likes

To start off, I will leave my review of the Aune BU2, a portable headphone DAC/amp from the brand.

As always, this is also available in Spanish on my blog here and on YouTube here.

The Aune BU2 was kindly sent to me for review by Aune. They have not requested anything but I will leave a link (on my blog and YT channel) to the BU2 via their webstore as it is the least I can do.

This means that my review will, as always, attempt to be as unbiased and sincere as possible but you should always consider the fact that it has not cost me anything to try out the BU2.

Intro…

As I mentioned in my recent review of the Aune Jasper, a set of IEMs that pleasantly surprised me, Aune is a brand that has released quite a few DACs and amplifiers that have interested me, although I have not had a chance to try out their products until now.

The original BU1 was (is) a portable DAC/Amp that attracted me aesthetically, as did (does) the B1s, so when they announced the BU2, I was instantly interested in trying it out.

The BU2 is a fully balanced DAC/Amp, using two ES9318 DAC chips along with four independent amplifiers, a R2R ladder volume control and supports up to 32-bit/768kHz PCM with native DSD512 decoding.

All of this sounds great on paper but I am interested in what it sounds (and performs) like in the real world, so I have been putting it through its paces for around 3 weeks.

Presentation…

The external packaging is a simple white cardboard sleeve, showing an illustration of the unit and a few features, from which a black box, sporting the Aune logo in silver, slides out.

Inside the box we get the BU2 in its own cutout (protected by a plastic bag), along with a smaller box containing a USB-A to USB-C cable, a shorter USB-C to USB-C cable, a 2.5mm TRSS male to 4.4mm Pentacon female adapter cable and a very basic, single page, user manual in English and Chinese.

There is nothing special about the presentation but it is nice that they choose to include the 2.5mm to 4.4mm cable for those who use Pentacon connectors on their headphones/IEMs.

Build and aesthetics…

If you are someone, like me, who likes the aesthetics of the BU1, you will find that the BU2 aims for a much simpler look. A completely black unit, with a small LCD screen on one side and the connections on top and bottom, this does not stand out as much as the BU1 (or B1s) but is certainly not ugly.

The build is completely aluminium except for the two panels around the screen, which are plastic to avoid issues with Bluetooth reception, and even these are well made and do not stand out as being plastic (at first I thought they were aluminium also). This makes the unit very sturdy and feels like it will withstand quite a bit of abuse, especially if we also take into consideration that the volume knob (also metal) is protected by a metal guard (more on that in a moment).

I know that there will be people who complain about Aune opting for a 2.5mm balanced output instead of a 4.4mm, which I can understand. Personally, while I would like the 4.4mm connector, being more robust than the 2.5mm connector (then again, the 6.35mm TRS is also more robust than the 3.5mm but we don’t expect that on a portable unit), I don’t actually have 4.4mm connectors on any of my cables, so I have no real issue with this. As mentioned, Aune also included the adapter which is a nice touch.

At the end of the day, I really don’t have any complaints about the build quality or aesthetics of the BU2. Yes, the BU1 looks more impressive but the BU1 is simple and very well built, with no signs of flaws to my eye.

Functionality…

The BU2 is very simple to use. At the bottom of the unit there are 2x USB-C sockets. The right hand connector is for data connectivity, just connect a cable between the USB output of whatever source you are using to this socket and you are good to go.

The second USB-C socket, on the left, is for charging. Here there are going to be people who complain that it is a separate socket for charging, meaning that you need to use two cables, however, personally I much prefer this. This means that you can use the BU2 (connected to a phone for example) without draining the battery of the phone, and can recharge the BU2 from a power bank while it is in use.

On the top of the unit there are the two headphone outputs, one 3.5mm TRS unbalanced output and one 2.5mm balanced output. These are pretty self explanatory.

In the center, between these two outputs, we find the volume knob which is my only real complaint about this unit.

The knob is recessed and has a metal plate that surrounds it to protect it. I can understand that this was done intentionally to avoid accidentally turning up (or down) the unit while it is in a pocket but it makes volume adjustments rather difficult. I thought about putting this in the “build” part of the review but to be honest, there are no issues with the build, the knob works great and is very robust (and extremely well protected), it is just a pain to adjust without using two fingers, one on each side of the unit. While you are holding the unit, this is not a huge issue, ok, it takes a little longer to make large adjustments, but once you have the unit flush against something, such as the back of a phone/DAP or on a desk, you can only really access one side and it is difficult to make adjustments at all. After 3 weeks of using the device daily, I have sort of got the hang of it, managing to adjust it with only one finger on one side, but in order to do this, the device needs to be secure, otherwise it will just move around instead of the volume knob turning (like when it is on a desk for example).

This is more irritating than anything else and the actual quality of the R2R volume adjustments far outweighs the pain of the usability, but is still irritating nonetheless.

Speaking of the R2R volume control, it is excellent. After having issues with digital volume knobs skipping and analog volume knobs having channel imbalance at low levels, Aune seems to have hit the nail on the head with this setup. There is no channel imbalance even at the lowest of settings and the volume steps are smooth and consistent, allowing you to select the exact volume level every time.

The volume knob also acts as a button, when pressed from the top. This allows you to power the device on and off, with a long press, and also enter the menu which can be seen on the screen.

The screen is placed on the front panel of the BU2 and is a small simple LCD screen with white letters. I must say that I like the choice of screen very much. There is no need for a huge colour screen that eats up battery life, the small LCD screen shows the necessary information without adding to the power consumption (at least not enough to be relevant).

When powering on the BU2, by a long press of the button, you are greeted by the Aune logo followed by the current volume level which, by the way, is remembered from the last use. After this, and at any other time when not interacting with the device, the screen goes into screensaver mode, which is basically the Aune logo followed by a scroll of the letters (A then U then N etc.). This is again a nice touch as it shows that the unit is powered on but does cut the power usage of the screen even more and avoids screen burn to some extent.

By a short press of the button (with the unit on), the device cycles through the menu options.

The first press brings back up the current volume level for reference. The volume can be set from 0 (mute) to 60. If the device is in screensaver mode, a turn of the volume know will also automatically bring up the volume screen for reference.

Another press takes you to input selection, where you can choose between USB (shows a USB logo) and Bluetooth (shows Bluetooth logo) by turning the volume knob. There is no need to press to select, it will automatically keep whatever selection is shown on screen and revert back to screensaver mode after a few seconds.

Two clicks of the button takes you to filter selection. There are 7 filter modes to choose from, each represented by two letters on the screen. The filters are:

SC: brick wall filter

SU: hybrid fast roll-off filter

SL: apodizing fast roll-off filter (default)

SI: minimum phase slow roll-off filter

SH: minimum phase fast roll-off filter

SE: linear phase slow roll-off filter

SD: linear phase fast roll-off filter

Three presses of the button will bring up an image of the current battery level, represented by an image of a battery with bars showing the remaining power and one final press will take you back to the volume level.

As you can see, this is very simple to navigate and use, making the screen useful without the need for more information.

As far as battery life, the specs claim 9 hours in USB DAC mode and I must say that I have no reason to doubt it. I got more than that but I do listen at low levels.

Power…

According to Aune, the BU2 offers 265mW @32 Ohms via the balanced output and 100mW @ 32 Ohms via the single ended output. This is obviously not a huge amount, especially compared to some of the alternatives, in fact, the unbalanced output is the same as the S9 Pro and the balanced output is only slightly more than the usb powered dongle.

This means that some of the more demanding headphones, such as the HD6XX or the HE400se, are lacking a bit of power to drive them to their best. However, I must say that I don’t find the BU2 to sound “anemic” even with these headphones. I have found with other devices with low power outputs that these headphones can lack, especially in bass response, but when powered by the BU2 they don’t seem to suffer as much from these issues. With easier to drive headphones, such as the Ananda, I didn’t feel that there was any issue at all.

With IEMs, there is plenty of power, even with those that need more than usual, such as the iSine or the Dusk, with no complaints from me at all.

Sound…

As you probably already know, I don’t have the necessary equipment to provide measurements of DACs and amplifiers, all I can do is share my experiences with the device. As with all devices, and all people, it is possible that I hear things that my brain makes me hear which maybe don’t exist, but at the end of the day, what I hear is the important part, not what I should hear.

In this regard, I must say that I have spent plenty of time comparing this to various other setups that I have and I find that the BU2 is basically identical to my Modi3+ and Atom that I use daily on my desk at work.

I mean this as a compliment as I find that the Modi+Atom combination is one that I really like for my daily use. It is a clean setup that does not become fatiguing for me, even after many hours at my desk. Obviously the Atom has more power and can drive things like the headphones I mentioned above a little better, but at my usual listening levels, with IEMs and some of my easier to drive headphones, the BU2 could easily replace the Mod+Atom stack on my desk, taking up less space and easily fitting inside my laptop bag for portability.

Even with the Beyerdynamic Custom Studio that I keep at work for when I need a closed back headphone, the BU2 can drive these 80 Ohm / 96dB/mW headphones from its single ended output to volume levels that are plenty for me, without me feeling that I am missing anything.

I mentioned above that the output power of the BU2 is similar to the S9 Pro, however, the BU2 is much smoother and does not become harsh like the S9 Pro can when pushed.

One last thing to mention is Bluetooth. As some of you probably know already, I am not a huge user of Bluetooth and when I do use it, I usually opt for using LDAC either via one of my DACs or via my neckband. The BU2 does not offer LDAC as a codec, being limited to SBC/AAC/aptX and aptX HD, however, I have found that I don’t miss LDAC quite as much on this device as I do on others. Usually I have the BU2 connected to my source (laptop or DAP) via USB and paired with my phone via bluetooth. If I am listening to music and there is something I want to listen to on my phone, with two clicks and a turn, I can swap to my phone. The connection is very quick and once I switch back to the USB input, the BT connection is broken, allowing my phone’s BT to go back to whatever else it might be doing (such as the neckband that I use for calls etc.).

Conclusion…

I don’t think I have mentioned the price of the BU2 yet. It costs around 270€, depending on where you buy it from, which is obviously quite a bit more expensive than something like the S9 Pro, however, I feel that it is also a much better product and does not drain my phone or DAPs battery (something very important for me).

As I mentioned, I find the sound to be identical (to my ears) to the Modi3+ and Atom, which is a desktop stack (although small) that comes out at around the same price (here in Europe) but is obviously tied to a power supply. The BU2 is not as powerful but in my opinion makes up for it with its usability and portability, along with a great build quality.

There are obviously things that could be improved (I have yet to find the perfect product at any price range) but my only real complaint is with the difficulty of using the volume knob with one hand.

As someone that has been looking for a self powered, portable and well built DAC/Amp, the BU2 fits my needs very well. I had the Topping NX4 DSD for some time but it finally broke under warranty and I did not replace it. I feel that the BU2 solves the few complaints that I had with the NX4 and I am happy to have finally come across such a device which, while not cheap per se, is not ridiculously expensive.

8 Likes

Aune Flamingo

TLDR version on YouTube: TDLR - Aune Flamingo

The Aune Flamingo has been sent to me directly by Aune in exchange for the publication of this review. They have not made any specific requests and in fact have been quite patient as I received the unit before the end of 2022 and have not had a chance to actually review it until now.

As always, I will do my best to be as sincere and unbiased as humanly possible but it is always good to consider the fact that it has not cost me anything to try this unit.

The official page for the Aune Flamingo can be found here: Aune Flamingo Tube DAC Headphone Amp | Aune Store

(Non-affiliate link, as always).

Intro…

The first time I saw (and tried) the Flamingo was back in May 2022 at High End Munich. At the time it wasn’t even called the Flamingo and it wasn’t until Aune offered to send me the device that I realized that I had actually seen it before.

The Flamingo is a DAC/Amp combo that offers two different preamplification modes to select between tube and op-amp. While this is not the first time something like this has been done, it is not very common and it is a nice feature to see on a product that is at a very reasonable price point.

The Flamingo is available with or without Bluetooth connectivity and can also be operated via a remote control which is sold separately. The version I have been testing has both BT and the remote control, so I will be mentioning those along the way.

Presentation…

The box that the unit arrives in is a nice bright red with FLAMINGO in large white letters and a simple outline drawing of the device on the top. It is a very simple presentation but is enough to draw attention to itself.

Inside the box we find the Flamingo with the tube already installed, a quick start guide, a USB-A to USB-B cable, a USB-C to USB-B adapter, a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter and the power supply. In my case I also received two Bluetooth antennas and the remote control.

This is plenty to get the Flamingo up and running. While it may sound like something trivial, I appreciate the USB-C to USB-B adapter as it allows me to use some of the cables that I already have in place in certain locations, allowing me to test the Flamingo in multiple locations without much hassle.

Build and aesthetics…

The Flaming is a rather compact device with rounded edges and a nice large and simple to read screen on the front. The tube is recessed into the unit which will save it from the risk of getting knocked and broken (unless something is dropped directly on it from above) and while I wouldn’t recommend stacking things on top of it (tubes get hot), it does mean that it will fit almost anywhere.

The device is well assembled and I like the aesthetics as they are a little different to many other devices, giving it a bit of a unique look.

The screen features white numbers and text, displaying the volume level in a large digits with the input, filter and tube/op amp being displayed to the left. All of this information is easily readable both from a distance and from any angle (within reason of course).

The remote control is also something I am quite fond of. It is completely made of aluminum and is not just another typical remote. It is long and thin, with a single line of buttons down the center, 5 in total, that feel sturdy and respond well. It is a shame that it is not included with every unit but I do understand that not everyone needs/wants a remote.

In general, I am very happy with the build and aesthetics of the Aune Flamingo.

Functionality…

Let’s start off with a look at the layout of connections and controls (well, control really, as there is only one).

On the front there is a 6.35mm unbalanced headphone output to the left of the screen and a large rotary knob on the right. Moving around to the back of the device, we have the RCA analog outputs on the left, followed by a coaxial input (RCA), then the USB-B connector, the connection point for the Bluetooth antenna (in the case of a Bluetooth device), a DC 12V input and a mains on off switch.

The back is self explanatory, connect the analog outputs to an external amplifier or powered speakers if desired, connect the Coax input or the USB input (or both), screw in the antenna (packed separately) and plug in the power supply. Switch the power on and away we go.

The front is even simpler. Connect your headphones to the headphone output and then use the rotary dial for everything else.

Turn the dial to raise or lower volume, press the dial to cycle between USB or Coax input, double press to change between Tube to OpAmp, or hold to enter the filter menu. Once in the filter menu, turn to cycle through the 7 filter options and then press to select.

That is it as far as functionality from the device itself, very simple but even simpler if using the remote control. In this case, the remote has a dedicated button for each function (input, filter, tube/OpAmp) and pressing the corresponding button will cycle through the options. There are then 2 additional buttons, one for vol+ and the other for vol-.

Sound…

Now, let’s get to the part that I find most difficult in the DAC/Amp reviews, explaining the sound while trying to judge if it’s really there or if I am just imagining it :blush:

First off, I have to say that the Flamingo sounds good in both modes. I have no complaint as far as sound or performance. It is not overly harsh, it does not seem to bring out any negatives in the overall performance of any of my IEMs or headphones and in general, it is a pleasant sound signature to listen to.

I also need to say that if you are expecting a night and day difference between the Tube and OpAmp mode, you are not going to find it. There are some subtle differences but this is not like switching from a THX amp to a full blown tube amp. In fact, neither mode is going to reach the end of the spectrum that I would place those two different amplifier technologies in. The OpAmp is not overly sterile or clinical and the Tube mode is not overly warm and lush.

What I am trying to convey by this is that, while I may mention differences between the two modes, they are in fact quite similar and some exaggeration may be introduced by my sighted tests (in other words, the screen telling me it is in Tube mode may actually make me hear it more “tubey” than it actually is).

The Tube mode does seem to add a little more warmth in the low end to the ear, yet it doesn’t really. What is happening is that there is a little bit of a roll off into the subbass regions, moving the focus just a little towards the midbass, added to the slight increase of the tube harmonics, this can make things sound just a little warmer and “rounder” in these lower ranges. Again, the fact that it says “Tube” on the screen automatically equals added warmth but in this case there is just a touch of that smoothness in the lower end.

There is also a little more “sparkle” in the higher end when using the OpAmp mode, with Tube mode things are a little more subdued. I noticed this a bit more with planar headphones although that slight hint is still there with dynamics and also IEMs. It is not that Tube mode seems less detailed or rounded off in the treble, there is just a hint more of brilliance.

As far as power, the Flamingo has a fair amount yet I find that it is all located at the top end of the volume control. My listening levels are not really high (as I have mentioned plenty of times in the past) and I found that I was hitting 78 to 80 out of 99 when listening to the Arya v3, yet over 82 started getting too loud very quickly. Even with IEMs I found that I would be turning up way past the point I expected but then it would become too loud if I went just a couple of steps higher. This does limit the volume control range and while it is by no means short on power, I find that there isn’t a huge amount of fine adjustment due to this.

Conclusion…

I think that the Flamingo is a great little piece of equipment at a very reasonable price. It has a good sound, good amount of power and it lets you switch between pure OpAmp and a bit of that tube flavour just with a touch of a button (or two presses without the remote).

The Tube mode is not really that tubey, it is only really a hint and reminds me of something like the P20, where it is still a very clean sound even with tubes in the circuit. However, clean is not to be confused with cold, Find the FLamingo to have a very enjoyable sound for listening to music and I am more than happy to just plug into it an press play.

I do wish that the volume control was better distributed, rather than having most of the power at the top 20% but I think that is really my only complaint. I could say that it would be great to have balanced but I understand it not being balanced as an all in one at this price. Personally I would also like an optical input but the presence of Coaxial is enough, at least we are not only dependent on USB, so I am not going to complain there either.

I guess all I can say is that the Flamingo a good little all in one that will provide a lot of enjoyment on a desk for not a lot of money. What more can I really ask for?

As always, this review is also available in Spanish both on my blog (www.achoreviews.com) an on YouTube (www.youtube.com/achoreviews)

3 Likes

4.4 Pentacon with balanced output.

1 Like

Yes, as I said…

We can’t ask for too much at 200€, at least if we want it to be well built and sound decent.

2 Likes

Review - Aune S9c Pro

TLDR version on YouTube: TDLR - Aune S9c Pro

The S9c Pro has been loaned to me directly by Aune for me to try it out and to share my opinions in this review. Aune have not made any requests and I will do my best to be as unbiased as possible in my review, as always.

You can find the official page of the Aune S9c here: Aune S9c Pro Reference DAC Headphone Amp | Aune Store

As with all links I share, this is a non-affiliate link.

Intro…

I first heard about the S9c before heading to Munich back in May, while discussing a few new products with Aune. While in Munich, I did get to see the unit but I didn’t get to try it out at the time due to so many things going on. I did, however, arrange to have a unit sent to me on loan at a later date and while it has been a few months, I have finally had time to spend time with this DAC/Amp combo.

It may sound a bit crazy but I am currently on vacation and, along with some portable stuff and IEMs, the S9c made it into my luggage. It’s not exactly a device that one would think of packing to take on holiday, as it is rather large and heavy, but what better time to sit back and relax, spending time to get to know the device.

I needed something to put the S9c to the test and because I obviously could’t bring all my headphones, I brought a small selection that I have used to evaluate the device for this review. These are the Hifiman HE1000se, the Hifiman Arya v2 and the Sennheiser HD6XX. I would have brought the Arya Stealth as they are my usual go to but I forgot them in the office and I wasn’t going to swing by to pick them up, mainly to not risk getting caught up with work!

So, while this review may be a little different to my usual procedure, I think I have got to know the S9c pretty well and I will go through the normal steps of trying to explain my findings.

Presentation…

As I said, I had seen the S9c in Munich but I honestly didn’t remember it being as big as it is. When I received the box, inside another bigger box, I had no idea what was in it until I saw the Aune logo on the product box and then I thought, surely it’s not that big is it?

Well, it is rather large, yes. It is not the size of a rack mount pro amplifier but it is not far off. Packed inside a rather simple black box, the device comes well protected along with another smaller box that contains the remote control, the power cable, a USB A to USB B cable, a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter, the bluetooth antenna and a quick start guide.

There is nothing really special about the box or packaging, yet it does give the sensation of being a a higher end device, with simple but elegant packaging.

Build and aesthetics…

The S9c, as I said, is on the large side and is a very elegant looking device. The sides are slightly angled inwards and the top has a slight curve to it that makes it look sleeker and more modern in comparison to a simple rectangular box.

On the front of the device there is a large screen in the middle with white text that is also very elegant looking and shows all the necessary information without looking cluttered. In the top left corner of the screen it shows the selected input and the sound mode, while the top right shows the selected output. The center of the screen focuses on showing us the file type and bit rate, in slightly larger letters, although there are no decimal points so it shows “PCM 44” rather than 44.1 etc. Below this there is a curved bar, reminiscent of an eclipse, that shows a dot at the current volume level, with min and max at each end. I found the screen very difficult to photograph, so you will have to take my word for the fact that it looks a lot better in person than in images. Finally, under this curved bar, we get a symbol of a speaker (with bars that increase or decrease) along with a numeric reading of the volume (from 000 to 100).

I am very fond of the screen which, in its simplicity, looks very elegant. Things like the curved bar, with the curved min and max text at each end, go that extra step to turn useful into aesthetically pleasing.

To the left of the screen we have three outputs for headphones, these being a 4 pin XLR, a 6.35mm TRS and a 4.4mm TRRS. To the right of the display we have a large and very nice volume knob with dots sound it. While the knob looks and feels great, there is a little bit of a wiggle to it, which is a shame for an otherwise flawless front.

Moving around to the back, at the far left we have a set of balanced XLR outputs together with a set of unbalanced RCA outputs. Following these, from left to right, we have the inputs which are AES, coaxial digital, optical and USB. Just above these we have a 10M input for a clock and the connection point for the bluetooth antenna. Finally, at the far right, we have the IEC power connection and a mains power switch.

Last but not least we have the remote control. This is the same as the remote included with the Aune Flamingo I reviewed a while back and is completely made of black metal with silver buttons. I do find that the remote is very directional, in other worlds, you need to point it directly at the sensor for it to do anything, and the range isn’t great but that would be my only complaint in this category.

Honestly, looking at the build and all of the available inputs and outputs, I was very surprised to find out the price of the S9c. I may have been told it in the past and taken no notice but, when searching for info on the sound modes (which I’ll get to in a moment), I found that it retails here in Europe (from the official Aune store) for 749€. I honestly thought that it would be well into the 4 digit category.

Functionality…

While there is a lot going on with this device, the functionality and user interface has been kept very simple. You can do everything from the remote (which has 5 buttons) or from the single knob on the face of the unit.

Of course, first you connect whatever cables you need for your inputs and outputs, you flick on the power switch on the back and away you go.

Turning the knob obviously increases or lowers volume and I have to say that it is both precise and reliable. I fave found on many devices that turning a digital knob too quickly can cause it to skip (or even do other weird things on some devices) but that is not the case here. Turning it slowly allows you to go in single increments yet turning it fast still keeps it in single increments, just a lot faster. There is the feeling of a click with each increment and without even looking, this feedback will give you an idea of how far you have turned the knob, it is that precise. Due to it being digital, it also avoids any channel imbalance, no matter how low you go.

A single press of the knob will cycle through the inputs (USB/COX/OPT/AES/BT). I did find it amusing that they decided to label coaxial as COX rather than COAX or COA, but I guess that’s the inner child in me :wink: Each input change takes a second or so and you can here the double click of relays as one is disconnected and the other is engaged. It is also nice that USB connection is not broken when switching inputs, meaning music will continue to play and the PC won’t have a panic attack.

One thing to point out is that I did have to install the drivers from the Aune website for the PC to be able to play anything other than 48kHz through the S9c. If using the windows mixer, that is not an issue but for WASAPI or ASIO, drivers will need to be installed (at least on Windows 10).

A double press of the knob changes the selected output, cycling between headphone and line out. The line out is actually a pre-amp output, meaning that the volume control is functional when selected. The nice thing is that volume levels are remembered between the two outputs, so swapping from a line out at 100/100 back to headphones will not suddenly blast your headphones at full, it will remember the last setting you had.

Finally, a long press of the volume knob will change between the two sound modes. To my ears, the difference between the sound modes is that mode 2 gives the sensation of a larger soundstage. This makes there seem to be more space and openness in the recordings. I didn’t notice any other differences between the 2 modes, which is not to say they don’t exist, just that I didn’t notice them.

I didn’t test the clock input function as I don’t have a clock source to test it with (especially not here at the beach house) but it is covered in the user manual and seems to be pretty straightforward to use (basically you just plug it in and the S9c does the rest).

Sound…

I have been playing around with quite a few sources lately (with some more to come) and they have all placed towards the smooth side, where the Aune S9c is much more toward the analytical side of things. Saying that, it is not harsh.

Upon first listen with the HE1000se, I found things to be a little brighter than I am used to lately, yet, while the HE1000se can become a little too spicy in the treble if a source is too bright, I didn’t get that sensation with the S9c.

There is great balance and details to the presentation, with detail and space taking the forefront of the experience. This is not really a presentation that makes you switch off and just have music playing, it is more of a presentation that makes you take note of what is going on. As I said, it is not harsh, this is not a THX789, it is more of a “this is what the track sounds like and this is what your headphones can do with it” sort of thing.

Bass is quick, mids are neutral and treble is clean, all with plenty of detail going on. This is the sort of presentation that I love when I am focusing on music and wanting to experience all of it. I would say that this would work very well in a recording or production environment.

I listened to some of my test tracks (and quite a few others) that I know have minute details in the background that you need to focus on to know they are there. With the HE1000se, they were all very apparent and very impressive.

Moving on to the Arya v2, the soundstage of these headphones is already crazy and the S9c makes that even more apparent, especially when in sound mode 2. It is as though you are surrounded by a huge stage and can just pick things out millimetrically. I listened to a few live recordings (that I love to use the Arya v2 for) and you could quite easily notice any movement on stage while still being able to appreciate the things happening all around. I think if anyone wants to experience what a huge soundstage is, then a binaural recording of a live performance on the Arya v2 fed by the Aune S9c may be one of the most impressive demonstrations.

With the Sennheiser HD6XX there is a little bit less of that lushness that you get in the mids with something like a tube amp or a warmer/smoother amplifier, but at the same time, the detail that these headphones are capable of still surprises me. I wouldn’t say that the best experience with the HD6XX is focusing on detail, I prefer a warmer more intimate source as I think that is where these headphones excel, but it is still impressive to hear them powered by the S9c.

I also put on some IEMs, such as the Svanar, IE600 and a couple of others that I am testing at the moment. The S9c also did a great job with IEMs, maybe even better than with headphones.

The Svanar I find to be very revealing of source and, as with the IE600, I was very surprised as to how much detail these IEMs are capable of. I mean, they are a very good set of IEMs but I find that they focus on musicality more than minute detail, yet the S9c proved that they have all the detail that something like the HE1000se can provide. The IE600, with the custom tips, turned into a punchy and super clean set of IEMs that are fast and work wonders with quick and complex tracks.

As I said above, I have mainly been playing with smoother and warmer sources lately and the presentation of the S9c sort of reminded me how good some of these headphones and IEMs perform when focusing on dissecting the music!

Conclusion…

The Aune S9c is a very impressive DAC/Amp combo that I seriously thought would cost more than its 749€ price tag. It has all the inputs and outputs you could need (unless you want I2S) and even has an input for a clock, which may come in very handy for some, especially in a studio set up. I actually think this would be a great buy for somebody in a studio environment, be it production or recording, as it offers great detail and clarity without making things overly harsh.

Don’t let my description of the sound make you think that this device is going to be a bright and harsh presentation, it isn’t, it is still very musical, it is just more towards the analytical side of things than the warmer side of things.

When reviewing things, especially sources, it is very difficult to put into words the small changes between one device and another. To be honest, reviewers tend to make it sound like there is a huge difference between one source and another when there really isn’t. Yes, the differences are noticeable but they are not to the extreme, more of a flavour type of thing. And that is the case here, while some of the devices I have been using lately are more of a smooth flavour, the Aune is a more exciting flavour.

It has great looks (in my opinion), great build (except for that slight wiggle on the volume knob) and presents sound in a way that is very impressive, both with headphones and IEMs. All I can say is that I think the S9c is a lot of value for its asking price.

As always, this review is also available in Spanish both on my blog (www.achoreviews.com) and on YouTube (www.youtube.com/achoreviews)

5 Likes

This Aune S17 Amp is a real bang for the buck. After a few days of break-in, absolutely worth listening to.

5 Likes

Aune Yuki

TLDR version on YouTube: TDLR - Aune Yuki

The Aune Yuki has been sent to me directly by Aune for me to try it out and share my opinions in this review. Aune have not made any requests and I will do my usual best to be as unbiased as possible in my review.

You can find the official page for the Yuki here: Aune Yuki High End Dongle DAC | Aune Store

Also available on Amazon US here: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Headphone-Smartphone-Earphones-Headphones/dp/B0CJXYNNTH

As always, the above are non-affiliate links.

Intro…

The Yuki is, I believe, the first dongle from the Aune and I have to say that they certainly went all in on this. It is not the cheapest of dongles but it is far from being the most expensive, coming in at 169€ on the official Aune store here in Europe (at the time of puting together this review).

The device features dual CS43198 DAC chips which have been used in decent performing desktop solutions before and Aune seem to have done a good job implementing them in this device.

In fact, Aune seem to have done a good job in general with this device, seemingly spending time and effort on everything involved, but before I get ahead of myself, let’s go through the usual process and start off with the presentation.

Presentation…

Starting off with the packaging, we already see that Aune has aimed to be different. Rather than a box we get a circular tub which is white with the Aune logo in gold on the top, together with “for music we design”, along with Yuki in gold on the side. This has a dark blue card ring around it that shows some artwork and “Yuki” in white letters.

Removing the top reveals a small circular card with two QR codes, one to download the user manual PDF in Chinese and the other in English. Obviously I didn’t do this as a first step (why break tradition?) but looking at it I have to say that, for such a simple device, the user manual is complete and well written.

Under this top card we find the dongle sitting vertically in one section, with the USB-C to USB-C cable, along with a USB-A to USB-C adapter, sitting in another vertical section. There is plenty of foam surrounding them, of the high density type in white, meaning that the device is more than protected for shipping. On top of this, it was packaged in a brown cardboard box surrounding the tub, protecting it even more.

Although there is really not a lot to get excited about with the packaging, I have to say that I really like it when companies go that extra step and do something original. Here Aune have made something different without the need for additional materials other than simple card and foam.

Build and aesthetics…

The first impression of the device is that it looks beautiful. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder but, again, Aune have done something different that sets the device apart from the masses of dongles out there.

The clear top is obviously the first thing to catch the eye, which allows you to see the internals of the device. This is not something new, as one of my favourite dongles (the M15) already has this, however, other than the shape and the clear top, that is where the similarities end.

Aune have opted for a bright white finish to the Yuki, with gold lettering without it being overdone. I find there is a fine line between gold on white being elegant or blingy, with Aune seeming to manage to keep it in the first category. I have always said that I am not a fan of gold but the lettering is discrete and looks good on the white base.

The PCB inside the device, which is visible through the top window, is also a break from the usual green PCB. In this case, the board is red and creme, which, in my opinion, adds even more to the modern yet elegant look of the device.

On the back we get the Yuki logo in gold, with the two buttons above it featuring a single gold dot on one of them to differentiate it. This dot is also recessed so it can be identified, to some extent, by touch.

The included USB cable matches the device in colour, as does the adapter, and the cable is a very nice white braid. Once again, this just gives the sensation of them putting thought and effort into each little component.

In general, I have to praise the Yuki as I think that it is built well, with an aluminium body, and looks different to all the other dongles out there, without being too “off the wall”.

Functionality…

There is not a lot going on with the Yuki, so there is not much to discuss in the functionality side of things, however it does feature volume control and gain levels.

On the bottom of the device there is a 3.5mm unbalanced headphone output, together with a 4.4mm balanced output. At the top we get a single USB-C connector for power and data. That is it as far as connectivity is concerned.

As far as controls, we get the two buttons located on the back of the device. I have to say that I find the location of the buttons to be a strange choice. Once again they have done something different, which I applaud, but in this case I can’t help feeling that it is form over function. I find the buttons to be more difficult to access than if they were on the front or side but it is not the end of the world and I did get used to them pretty quickly.

The buttons are used to control the volume and gain level of the device. Pressing either of the buttons independently will raise or lower the volume, while pressing both of them simultaneously for 2 seconds will change the gain level.

The volume of the Yuki is independent to the device, meaning that the amplification in controlled on the Yuki and that there is no control of the device volume from the dongle. It has a nice small increment with each press and I really find it to work well (once you get used to the buttons on the back).

As far as devices, I have used it with a selection of Android and Windows devices (Win10) and have experienced absolutely no issues with any of them. It has always connected very fast and just worked without hiccup. I’m afraid I don’t have any iOS devices.

Sound…

Now, if I have praised Aune so far in the review for doing something different, in the sound section they have done something different by not doing anything different. Let me explain…

The majority of the Aune devices that I have tested in the past, those that I have reviewed and those that I haven’t, all managed to offer a clean and neutral sound without becoming sterile or cold. In the case of the Yuki they have done the same.

While there are portable devices that I enjoy because they have a little warmth to them, I have to say that I really enjoy the Yuki because of its neutrality. It manages to give you a very transparent sound that does not lose its musicality, something that is not always the case with many portable devices (or even desktop devices).

It may not be the most powerful dongle out there, I wouldn’t really suggest it for difficult to drive headphones, yet it does a very good job with over ears that are easy to drive. For example, although I didn’t really mention it in my review, it works very well with the AR5000 headphones from Aune.

However, my main use case has been with IEMs, both those that I have currently awaiting review and those that I usually grab when I get a chance, and it has been a very pleasurable experience.

From things that are more detail focused, such as the Quintet, through to more warmer options, such as the IE600, I feel that it pairs remarkably well. With the Hifiman Svanar, which is a set that I enjoy a lot but find that it does perform very differently on different sources, it is one of my preferred portable pairings so far. The Svanar maintains that warmth that it is natural to it while presenting the details that it is capable of, without seemingly any additional flavouring from the dongle.

The sound signature of the Yuki does remind me a lot of the S9c Pro that I reviewed from Aune not too long ago, which is a large desktop device. Of course it is not as powerful but the presentation is very similar, which is in turn very similar to my desktop set up of choice for general listening.

Honestly, I can’t find anything to complain about with the sound signature of the Yuki, it is another Aune device that I just enjoy listening to, or rather, not listening to, as it lets the music and the transducers do the work.

Conclusion…

The Aune Yuki has easily become one of my favourite dongle style devices. I have kept it with me almost all the time and have enjoyed using it with IEMs each time I have had a chance. Yes, there are times when I feel like a smoother more relaxed sound, which is the same sort of mood that I am in when I choose a tube amp for home listening, but for 90% of my listening time, I just can’t fault the device.

As I said at the beginning, it is certainly not the cheapest dongle out there but it is far from being the most expensive and I really came away with the feeling that the money spent on this device gives you something that has had a lot of thought and work put into it.

Honestly, I feel that the AR5000 and the Aune Yuki may be the 2 products from Aune that I have enjoyed the most to date. I do not mean that they are the best devices that Aune makes, they make some seriously good stuff, but they are products that make you feel like you are getting something special.

As usual, this review is also available in Spanish, both on my blog (www.achoreviews.com) and on YouTube (www.youtube.com/achoreviews)

1 Like

Nobody else on this whole forum has an S17 Pro?

1 Like

Well, hello Mr. Nobody.