Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80 ohm) Review - Beyer's Finest?

DT770 Pro Review

Written by Chrono

The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro is a headphone that's been around for a very long time, and it's likely one that needs no introduction. In case you need a refresher on the basics of this classic set, though, the DT770 Pro is a closed-back, dynamic driver headphone that'll set you back around $150 if you're interested in buying one today. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://headphones.com/blogs/reviews/beyerdynamic-dt770-pro-80-ohm-review-beyers-finest
1 Like

My experience with the Beyer DT770 Pro is that it’s hardly “built like a tank” seeing as the left ear cup keeps coming apart from the headband. Perhaps it’s a fault in this particular unit but since it’s still in the Amazon 30 day return window off it goes to the UPS store tomorrow for a refund.

I’ve used these a lot in the studio, mainly for tracking, but when mixing, I notice the Beyer 990s (especially open back) are a super popular choice for engineers. Any thoughts on those/the big differences between the 770s and 990s? I’ve always appreciated Beyerdynamic as a brand in the Pro Audio space. I never see them at audio shows though!

I love the Beyer 880 600ohm with my Folkvangr. Bought it because I wanted to try a beast mode resistance phone given the FV’s characteristics. Totally deliver. Don’t love 'em with my Mjolnir 2. Jotunheim, SMSL M500, Piety, or other amps. MJ2 is ok, but not great. So with right pairing I think they’re fantastic. Realize that 880 isn’t 770. But in the right situation, I like 770’s way way more than I thought I was going to like any Beyers given what I’d heard about them.

2 Likes

Perhaps I’m in the wrong forum to ask but…how’d they run straight-up, no DAC/Amp? I.E. How was the ‘control variable performance’ if we want to make it sound scientific. I have tried the 770s and 990s through a stack and boy they sing, but often when mixing or tracking, one doesn’t always have a nice stack at their disposal, especially portable, where headphones are most useful to engineers.

1 Like

Sorry, so how do you mean? When they were plugged into an iPhone dongle? Doubt you’d be mixing using that either… so what’s the actual use case? (sorry, not an engiineer, so this is foreign to me).

As a rule of thumb, any set of 80 ohm headphones will play “pretty well” on a phone, tablet, PC, or studio equipment. They are not electrically demanding, and 80 ohm devices historically lacked the potential of 300 or 600 ohm headphones (dynamic drivers).

It’s not possible to run abstractly “straight up,” as every digital source has a DAC and an amp. The “straight up” ones are merely embedded and not named. To my ears embedded/basic sources tend to be flatter, harsher, less extended, and subject to artifacts. Almost any amp I’ve used with 80 ohm headphones will play plenty loud enough. If your mixing or tracking off a common AKM or ESS DAC then it’ll likely sound pretty decent and comparable to many audiophile stacks.

1 Like

Very durable, strong headphones. First time I saw them was in the library, many moons ago, where people/visitors were playing and selecting the CD’s to borrow. Bought 32 Ohm version for portable player, almost a decade ago, and sometimes I still use them at home. Also have the 80 Ohm version, those do sound somewhat different. I might have also had a 250 Ohm version in the past, can not remember anymore.

I mensioned 32 Ohm for portable devices, and while they play well I would not be taking them outside the house (except to the beach house, of course). Even with the leather like pads on them they do take the street noice in very easily. Quite fine for home, studio or even on the train. Not for the street.

1 Like

I still pull them out from time to time. It’s a keeper for me

This topic and model is a bit old, but I’d like to share a couple of hacks on acoustic tuning with my fellow DT770 Pro owners.

I needed a new pair of pads for my 6 y/o DT770 Pro 32 Ohm, so I decided to experiment a bit with pads. I also found an interesting thread on Head-fi about using various types of insert materials to tune the Beyers acoustically. So, I decided to try a couple of experiments.

Hack 1: Bass and stage boost with thicker and denser velour pads

The DT770 is quite bassy, but as it’s currently supposed the most bass-heavy headphone in my collection, I wanted to give it some extra warmth and boost the sub-bass, which rolls off quite quickly with the default velour pads. I also tried it with Beyer’s pleather pads, but this time I wanted to try something different.

So I bought these cheap pads by Xberstar on Amazon:

On the photos they looked suspiciously similar to the DT1990 Pro “Balance” pads. And as I owned a pair of DT1990 before, I know that those pads boosted the bass and the treble. So I wondered if these would do something similar to DT770.

Which they did. The bass with these pads is not only stronger but surprisingly cleaner than with the original ones. It isn’t bloated at all and feels better separated from other instruments. This helps the mids to be better separated and more distinct as well. As a downside, the Beyer’s already peaky treble got elevated even more, to an uncomfortable level. But before returning these pads, I decided to try a second hack to fix the treble peak, see below.

Thicker and denser pads also increased the soundstage, at the cost of decreasing overall volume level, which is not a problem for such sensitive dynamic headphones.

The quality of those cheap Chinese pads is not very good though, so I wouldn’t recommend everyone to try get it at any cost. What you can do instead is to roll DT1990/1770 pads onto DT770 for a similar effect.

Hack 2: reducing the treble peak with paper inserts

This one is a more interesting hack for any Beyer owners who are not fond of the Beyer treble peaks. You can find a more sophisticated mod on Head-fi which combines multiple types of materials added to different parts of the headphone. What I went for is a much more simple yet effective solution, and you can try it without having to disassemble your unit.

The “theory” behind this method is simple: paper appears to be a good filter material for high frequencies in the range from 6 to 9KHz. Depending on paper density and thickness, you get different width and amplitude of the filter on the spectrum.

I made 2 types of paper inserts which I cut from paper towels (more coarse, less density) and napkins (more fine and higher density paper):

The advantage of using paper towels and napkins for these crazy cheap acoustic tuning inserts is that they already consist of multiple thinner layers of paper. So you can add or remove layers to get the sound that you like.

I ended up with 2-layer towel and 2-layer napkin inserts for each side. If I put more layers, the overall dynamics and highs detail is gone. If I put fewer layers, treble is higher than I want.

If you are lazy and just want to experiment (like me) putting these inserts inside the pad on top of the standard foam is enough:

For more stable build, you can put it under the plastic ring that holds the foam.

With these 2 hacks applied I got a better and cleaner bass, wider stage, and no fatiguing treble from my good old DT770 which I still use a lot as an “utilitarian” headphone in the office, or at home when I don’t want to bother my family with the sound blasting from the open-backs. I even got a new problem now: I don’t know to which close-back headphones I would upgrade from these, without going 7x the price. Which is a nice problem to have :smile:

3 Likes

they run fine if you don’t listen at loud volumes. you will need a dac/amp if listening at louder volumes, but a cs43131 dongle (~$20 on aliexpress) will fix that without sacrificing portability.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! On a new pair of cans I used a single sheet of no.2 coffee filter, as it is more sturdy, and underneath that a Tempo paper handkerchief, which consists of 3 very thin sheets, and sibilance is gone. Will experiment some more - music from Suede is good to test with as they have quite some shrieking guitars and vocals.

1 Like