Bifrost 2 vs. RME ADI-2 DAC fs

Dont think so but I havent looked into it recently. SBAF tends to be a good source for a lot of stuff Schiit related so there may be something there but otherwise I can’t help you on that front.

From what I can gather from reading online the biggest hurdle they like to overcome is price. As a company they are very aware of what they are, which is for the most part a value for the money brand, so they won’t be putting out a new Jot or new anything if it really breaks previous pricing structure.

Pure speculation: It wouldnt surprise me if they have the next generation Jot ready to go in concept form and are just waiting for the economics to match up with what they want to produce. If you look at how well their newest gen products have been received I cant imagine the next Jot being anything less than a solid upgrade from previous models; however, Im not a big enough fan boy to blindly buy without at least reading reviews.

4 Likes

another all in one option I want to name, is the Questyle CMA 400i.
I had it for over an year on my list, auditioned it a few times at my local store and decided against it.
Prefered the RME ADI 2.
Though soundwise it is no slouch.
For 799 Euro, it still is a valid choice, I suppose.

1 Like

Yes, I had considered that as well! Ultimately what turned me off was the busy face (all those LEDs) and reading (if I’m remembering correctly) of not great product support.

2 Likes

I sincerely doubt there will be a new Jotunheim any time soon. You might see Unison available for it as they implement it across more of their products, but a USB upgrade isn’t going to warrant a full redesign of the product especially considering it really isn’t that old of a product.

3 Likes

That might very well be the next step for the Jot. I know they have rolled it out to a number of their products.

What gen is the current Jot? Could be first for all I know. I would agree that if the current Jot is still relatively new I cant see them bringing anything new out for a while. A SS upgrade is a ways down the road for me anyway - tube amp, another headphone maybe some pretty headphone cables/interconnects then maybe a SS. Gotta maximize the tube amp chain first!

Gen 1. There hasn’t been a version 2, that’s all I know. Came out in 2016, I want to say? 4 years old is still inside the first sold unit’s warranty period. :grin:

It’s still the only affordable device I am aware of that can convert SE inputs and output two 3 pin XLR to studio monitors when acting as a preamp. It’s really good for that, actually.

4 Likes

If you looking one-stop solution, RME will have you covered for your collection

The New ADI-2 DAC fs amp has the juice to drive clean which hungriest Planer headphone I own Hifiman Susvara. You will need to run in the Hi-Power mode. I finally have 6.5 mm to 2.5 mm cable update for these cans - I have been testing it with EDM tracks + classic rock ( Stones, Led Zep, Jimmy, etc) Note you be around -14 dB to open this headphone up

Torq is 100 percent right we at a crossover point on Solid State amps.

2 Likes

I have a ZMF Pendant and ZMF Auteur in Zebrawood coming in in a few weeks. Currently am running SMSL SU-8 into a THX 789 and MCTH but was thinking about upgrading to either one of these but leaning more towards the Bifrost 2 since I have read it adds a little bit of warmth to neutral amps which can be good for the Auteur. Finally to ask my question would either of these be a worth upgrade from the SMSL SU-8 and with the ZMF Pendant coming in I am worried the SU-8 is going to be a chink in the chain. Thank you for any thoughts on the subject!

4 Likes

Unless you need, and will use, the features of the RME unit (EQ, Crossfeed, Loudness, etc.) then I’d personally opt for the Bifrost 2. In fact, if I could only have one, I’d get the Bifrost 2 anyway and deal with the other stuff in software.

Both are, in my opinion, markedly more enjoyable than the SMSL SU-8.

3 Likes

If you could only have a single All-In-One unit, what would it be? Capped at say $2,000.

1 Like

As follows:

1. RME ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition (4493) - $1,999 (unless you’re smart)
  2. Holo Audio CYAN (PCM Module) - $1,299
  3. Soekris dac1541 - $1,299

A broader list, without the $2,000 limit, can be found here.

7 Likes

Some eye watering priced gear in your full list there.

The RME gear is somewhat common in Australia, but the Holo Audio and Soekris, not really seen much.