Bifrost 2 vs. RME ADI-2 DAC fs

Amos also just posted this new video about the schiit stacks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lmHLuvtnk

3 Likes

Ohhā€¦ It canā€™t dance in an exotic way? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Thanks, I donā€™t catch all the misspellings as English is a second language.

5 Likes

Bloomy distortion? Thatā€™s a crap description in my experience. He says he used the Empyrean into a studio 6 tube ampā€¦ And he wonders why the upper mid-range and lower treble had bloom or distortion? FFS. Another reason I canā€™t stand his reviews.

Keep in mind, the sound difference between the BF2 and Adi-2 is minor. Many of the others here, as well as my own comparative review, indicated that you have to really listen to hear the differences between these DACs. Differences are very nuanced. If the Bifrost is bloomy, so is the ADI, yet no one has called that dac bloomy.

I guess Iā€™m irked by reviewers who donā€™t have standards, as well as seeing people blindly regurgitate what they say as fact not opinion.

Ignore me. Carry on.

10 Likes

Thinly veiled look at my collection post :smiley: Love it.

Is it a relief going from the RAD/LCD back to the Verite/He? Purely weight wise.

Harmonics, yes. Thatā€™s often behind the descriptions of sterile or clinical versus musical delivery.

1 Like

I am no way near your experience, have your vucabulary within this (for you) profession and (for me) hobby, but I learn a lot from direct language and viewpoints:

And it is so important to have the opinion vs fact in mind, that I for one am not going to ignore your outburst. PLEASE carry on with giving your views.
Thanks! :+1: :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Yeah, sorry if I ruffled feathers. Itā€™s been one of those years.

3 Likes

Youā€™re funny. I still do not know why people do not look at the pre-amplified output signal of the two DAC in question, then just A/B the outputs - and diff signal to see what delta are really in the spectrum output after you equalize voltage output. I sure. few of on this forum could come up with better testing methodologies then it sounds different to me maybe due to my downline components.

They effectively do just that at various measurement/objectivist websites. They show standard audio charts and often put competitors side by side. However, this can be incredibly controversialā€¦ and the nuances are hard to capture.

I look at these and appreciate them as another viewpoint, but still want to hear for myself.

4 Likes

Amen brother.

Itā€™s a natural human thing to look for (and therefore find) differences that arenā€™t there. Especially without any sort of mental or technical process. Thatā€™s one of the reasonā€™s Resolveā€™s reviews speak to me - he has some rigor and methodology to his objectivism. :grin::grin:

Anyway, I have a Bifrost 2 coming this week. I can A/B with my a Topping D90 through a Phonitor e, on Focal Clear headphones. Thatā€™s as neutral a chain from DAC to my ears as I can manage. I donā€™t know if you trust my ears (I hardly do) but Iā€™ll report back.

4 Likes

I payed 920ā‚¬ for the RME ADI 2 DAC fs (4493) at my local dealer/ store in munich- for a new unit.
I already bought other Equipment at this place and he gave me the price, without me asking for it :slight_smile:

So the B2 would be 899ā‚¬(currently 849 @Gordon_Freeman ), if I order at the european distribution.
What I am going to do in 2021, if there is no used one on eBay germany this year.

With the D90 on sale in a few months, I see these 3 beeing the sub 1k options for now.

3 Likes

I understand the desire to hear the difference, I share that inquisitiveness myself. Just like directions sometimes you need to move from a story to use a map so it clear what is different where you need to go.

Remember most arguments I have seen are around on the distortion, noise floor, Signal to Noise, Linearity, finally generating SINAD and arguing over a single metric aka mine is bigger than yours. As Torq correctly argues once these get to a certain level aka limits of your hearing it is meaningless to argue.

I am talking about is a signal analysis on a single tone, multi-tone, and musical source and A/B the delta.

You would be surprised by what we can capture and compare with the signal processing now.

2 Likes

I just posted these two videos which I think will help more of help get to common language in the community.

You see in here he A/B his masters, but it also good to see some of the issue Mastering engineerings are looking at.

This probably one best overview of what going on with Sampling Rate, Oversampling, and Filtering, looking at various signals, with distortion and compression. When we see aliasing and other noise issues, intermodulation and ways to deal with it.

1 Like

920ā‚¬ is a decent price and in my opinion so close to the BF2 that it is an easy choice: RME ADI-2
My listed price is 990ā‚¬, but close enough not to change this.

2 Likes

Oops I meant Freya + still n silver :frowning:

I will eventually be getting a BF2. I looked hard at the RME and it is a really nice, feature laden unit.

I have always sought a natural sound for my ā€œaudiophileā€ listening and I think the BF2 supersedes the RME unit that way, at least based on reviews. I am not in a position to try before I buy for various reasons.

I wonder if some people are put off from the RME due to the sheer amount of features - Ive gone through its manual and its lengthy. I could see myself spending more time fiddling with it then actually just sitting there listening.

If you were looking for an all in one solution in that performance range then RME may be the way to go, but, if you have an audio chain you are looking to optimize and your concerns are more strictly about DAC performance you may favour the BF2.

3 Likes

I currently have a THX 789/RME stack and am considering switching out the RME for a Bifrost 2 for pretty much this reason. Then, while Iā€™m at it, switching out the THX for the Jotunheim as I want to shoot for a more musical vs clinical presentation.

On the other hand, the idea of an all-in-one really appeals to me so Iā€™m going to be evaluating the JDS labs Element 2 against both the RME as a standalone, and paired with the THX. There doesnā€™t seem to be a lot of choice for all-in-one units at the moment at any budget, though the Element seems to get high enough praise where it is (seldom) mentionedā€¦

But to get back on trackā€¦ yes the sheer amount of features the RME has kind of makes me anxious lol and itā€™s inspired a desire to do away with it so itā€™s not sitting there in my face teasing me and reminding me how lazy I am :unamused:

7 Likes

The THX/RME stack seems to have been a popular combination, not sure how many still use it but I think both came out or became big in the community about the same time if memory serves. I considered it but was concerned it may have been too analytical for my tastes.

I think when Schiit comes out with its next gen Jot I will probably get it as my SS option provided it reviews well. I have stated before that Schiit seems to make big leaps between generations, at least recently, so Im hoping the Jot maintains that trend.

The Unison feature on the BF2 is also appealing in that while perhaps not being the end all be all of USB audio it seems to do enough that you probably dont have to worry as much about whether USB is messing up your audio performance, so it strengthens that part of your audio chain.

5 Likes

This is true, I have major issues with noise in my chainā€¦ It was coming in really bad! Anything i plugged inā€¦ Including my Bifrost v1, My solution was to use optical. As soon as I went to Unison on my v1. Issue gone. I was so happy that I just bought a v2 and went XLR with Unison.

6 Likes

Is there any official news/ETA on this?