Bottlehead Crack OTL AMP (Kit/DIY) - Official Thread

You’ll have to post us some nice pictures of your progress if possible or at least the finished product.

When you get round to doing it of course. No pressure. Good luck anyway.

1 Like

haha I have more pressure for delivering good pictures - the build will be more in my best friends hands and I “help” him like a nurse helps the doc while operation

we plan on documenting the hole process, not only the finished build
since he is at least as “good” as I am as photographer, there will hopefully come out a helpfull guide like others already exist

2 Likes

I wanted to do something like this with my Bottlehead…it’s Epoxy joining the two pieces of wood… then LEDs to make it glow…as it is I have a ring of Blacklight LEDs on the inside…haven’t noticed noise with them but I also don’t turn them on very much…I’ll try and grab a picture and post it tonight

@prfallon69 If I can do it…I think you would be ok getting it done :wink: but that being said it did sit for a long time unfinished lol… so many things so little time… I think another good option is the Eddie Current ZDT Jr, for those not wanting to deal with building a Crack, or finding one for sale in your area pre-built (but you will probably pay a premium).

4 Likes

oh yeahh - that´s what I´m talking about!:star_struck:

2 Likes

Wow that would be funky. Yeah, I will have to have a think about things with regards the Amp building. Thanks anyway.

2 Likes

Coat one of many.

It’s getting dark, and the shop lights don’t show the deep red like you can see in person. Maybe a few pics tomorrow.

10 Likes

@raindownthunda sold me his spare ziricote case… it came out pretty damn good! I’ll have to take “real” pictures soon!! @ProfFalkin check out the grain!!

11 Likes

I’m looking! That’s a great base! I like it a lot!

I’m not jealous.

Yes I am.

4 Likes

That’s beautiful. The mirror-like finish really shows off it’s beauty.

Well done, sir.

Edit:

And the book match grain! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Yeah, @raindownthunda did a great job on these!!!

3 Likes

Nice pic! Glad it went to a good home. I’ve been too distracted with listening to the Bottlehead Crack and tube rolling with the Aeolus to post a proper build write-up :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

…but since @TylersEclectic spilled the beans, here is an obligatory teaser shot of the ziricote love fest:

11 Likes

:drooling_face: :kissing_heart: :nerd_face: :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Great work! :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Getting mitre corners perfect is such a pain in the butt. 1/10th of a degree doesn’t sound like much, until you multiply it by 4 and end up with a split corner.

Anyway… Good stuff! Ziricote is definitely my favorite.

4 Likes

No doubt - those corners are tough. Even with test cuts I had some gaps. I learned there’s a trick to mix some of the saw dust (from the same wood or similar color wood) with glue to make a paste that you can use to smear in and fill any gaps. Definitely adds more work to the sanding though!

5 Likes

Yep. I’ve used that trick. I hate sanding. LOL

There is another trick I’ve used, and it seems terrible at first, but it does work. (Notice he is going along the grain, this is harder across the grain.)

Two tips:

Wood that tends to chip instead of flex (I’m looking at you, Padauk) or is just too hard, won’t work with that method. You’ll just break out little chunks.

Fill the crack with a thin CA gel or wood glue FIRST to hold the micro-roundover in place. Wood glue is fine because it will swell the fibers a bit - further sealing it - but takes hours to really hold. CA is faster, but harder to hide if you get squeeze out. Less is more.

6 Likes

Dont know if this posted ?

2 Likes

Here is my Crack just after the SB update:

SInce these pix I painted the transformer bell housing a gloss black added a nice real genuine
ALPS pot (the stock pot had some low level tracking issues…not real bad but always bugged me).

Also there is a small noise isolation set of diodes that I added in the 120vac input power. This is documented over at the BH site, Paul Birkland came up with this simple mod.

Dark walnut stain, about 6 coats and buffed out.

Alex

8 Likes

Nice! Looks gorgeous and I bet it sounds fantastic.

1 Like

Yes it does, with the HD600’s its as good as it gets with them…the only other amp that I like with the 600’s is the Vahalla 2. The new Jotenheim is also pretty good but the Crack is right up there…would like to try the 800s with the Crack etc…

3 Likes