BURSON Soloist 3X Performance - Class A Headphone/Pre Amplifier

@Punkinela I thought it would be better to reply to you in the Burson Soloist thread, rather than the Verite Closed thread.

I’ve always liked the 3XP out of the box, with stock Vivid op amps, so I haven’t messed with op amp rolling. The only upgrade I made was to buy the Burson “super charger”, which is basically a replacement plug.

@hifiDJ has put a lot of work into experimenting with op amps and the super charger (see this and this) and he came to the conclusion that he liked the combination of the stock Vivid op amps and the super charger the best.

@mfadio wrote a good comparison of the Soloist 3XP and the Bryston BHA-1. He preferred the BHA-1, noting that it has better space between notes and bass. These are the factors that are addressed by the Burson super charger, according to @hifiDJ’s review, so it’s a shame that @mfadio wasn’t able to try that out before he moved away from the Soloist, because I would have liked to read his thoughts on the topic.

I do use the super charger but haven’t gotten around to comparing the Soloist with and without that plug. I liked the Soloist before using the super charger, I liked it after, it wasn’t much money. Not helpful, I know, so I’ll leave you with a couple of reviews that you might find helpful, from Passion for Sound, one of my favorite reviewers:
Burson Soloist 3XP
Burson Super Charger
Burson op amp comparison

6 Likes