BURSON Soloist 3X Performance - Class A Headphone/Pre Amplifier

@Punkinela I thought it would be better to reply to you in the Burson Soloist thread, rather than the Verite Closed thread.

I’ve always liked the 3XP out of the box, with stock Vivid op amps, so I haven’t messed with op amp rolling. The only upgrade I made was to buy the Burson “super charger”, which is basically a replacement plug.

@hifiDJ has put a lot of work into experimenting with op amps and the super charger (see this and this) and he came to the conclusion that he liked the combination of the stock Vivid op amps and the super charger the best.

@mfadio wrote a good comparison of the Soloist 3XP and the Bryston BHA-1. He preferred the BHA-1, noting that it has better space between notes and bass. These are the factors that are addressed by the Burson super charger, according to @hifiDJ’s review, so it’s a shame that @mfadio wasn’t able to try that out before he moved away from the Soloist, because I would have liked to read his thoughts on the topic.

I do use the super charger but haven’t gotten around to comparing the Soloist with and without that plug. I liked the Soloist before using the super charger, I liked it after, it wasn’t much money. Not helpful, I know, so I’ll leave you with a couple of reviews that you might find helpful, from Passion for Sound, one of my favorite reviewers:
Burson Soloist 3XP
Burson Super Charger
Burson op amp comparison

6 Likes

Well since I’ve been put on the spot by @PaisleyUnderground over here (lol), my thoughts have changed a little. I actually wouldn’t recommend the Soloist with the VC personally. I find it to be too thick and exaggerated meaning the strengths of the VC get overemphasized in a less pleasing way (it was too much for me). So, I prefer using a more neutral (to lean) amp for the VC or a more balanced-sounding set of op-amps, such as the Staccato or the Sparkos op-amps to offset the VC’s tonal balance (how they sound overall). That being said, if you’re still wanting to jump on the Soloist I wouldn’t get it without the Supercharger unless you have pretty clean power from your outlets or have a regenerator. It’s 50% off right now so it’s a no-brainer imo.

@Punkinela you mentioned listening to a lot of EDM music so I personally think the gsx mini may be a better option. When I listened to it, although briefly, I felt it to have a faster and tighter kind of bass (more neutral overall) than the Soloist. The Soloist, on the other hand, is a more pleasing-sounding amp which I think appeals to a wider audience. This is just from memory so take it with a grain of salt. Just make sure to pair either one with a capable DAC.

With all that said, if I were you I’d start out with something more budget. Synergy starts to matter a whole lot more past the 4-digit mark and if you’re not sure what you might like out of the VC then you could be wasting some money. Figure out your sonic goal first (your strategy) then build around that through tactics (hp, amp, dac, etc…). But, that’s just me.

Hope this helped a little.

Shoutout to @PaisleyUnderground for all those detailed responses. You rock! :grinning:

5 Likes

Appreciate your feedback on this.

Interesting take from your impression but I know for sure know I don’t think I can drop dime on gsx mini yet, haven’t seen any sale deals of it yet either.
Was trying to keep to at least an 1800 budget but I thought the Soloist was balanced?

I’m not too worried about not liking it if you say that can be fixed with a supercharger. Wonder if anyone else can provide some thoughts on this.

I have no idea how you would know if your outlet’s arent delivering the power you need either. I would hope my outlets are sufficient but never considered that to be an issue.

I have ordered the VC’s already, was lucky enough to get an epoxy stabilized set so I’m trying to build around them DAC/AMP-wise. It seems a lot of people suggest the Bifrost 2 as far as DAC but I’m open to any recommendations you have on that end too.

2 Likes

If you’re comfortable with it you can always watch out for it on the used market. You should be able to see some prices around the thousand dollar mark (I usually go to usaudiomart for used audio gear). I figured you might be waiting on your VC for a bit so you do have the luxury of time.

Are you referring to its sound profile? If it’s your first time listening to it then you’ll probably find it balanced but when you compare it to other gear you find that it does add some boost to the upper treble and bass.

While it does help a lot with those issues, it won’t change the overall character of the amp.

It really depends on where you live. If you’re in an apartment, for example, you’ll likely get dirty power since the power is being shared with other people and is being used by various appliances… If you live out there in the woods with no houses around, then you’ll probably have cleaner power. It’s not something you should really worry about until you dive in much deeper into the hobby. The supercharger is supposed to help clean up that power a bit.

There are a lot of ways and methods to improve and tweak a set-up, but not everything will make sense or improve your specific set-up.

I kind of jumped straight into the higher end of DACs so I’m not much help here. The DACs I have tried, like the RME, I would not recommend in terms of sound quality. Bifrost seems to be a solid option since the majority of people like it a lot. I’ve also heard good things about the denafrips ares ii and the soekris dac2541.

Another option I think you should consider is an all-in-one (DAC and amp built-in). You generally don’t want to do this because there are more compromises in terms of sound for an all-in-one, but since you’re just starting out I think it’s an option worth considering. Some options include, jds element ii, burson playmate 2/conductor 3, questyle cma400i/cma twelve/cma fifteen, schiit stuff, geshelli labs (these are separate units), etc…

I realize it isn’t very helpful listing a bunch of products but it does get you started, at least.

3 Likes

It’s a shame I don’t have any shops around me where I can preview these amps to truly hear what I may enjoy with them. All of this seems very subjective and I guess just going off the most recommendations can be tough in this hobby.
I don’t have much of a strategy in mind.

I don’t mind not compromising on this, I mean I went the extra mile and jumped to get a VC so why not get a separate DAC/AMP set up.
I may still grab the Soloist mostly since it will give me a chance to baseline compare with my partners Jot 2 and if I ever get really curious I can maybe move to the gsx mini but I think this may be one of those set ups where I’m all good and don’t feel the need to explore.

3 Likes

Yes, it is subjective, and it’s hard to go off recommendations when you’re still trying to figure out your own preferences and while you’re trying to get a handle on what others have as theirs.

This is where buying used can be very helpful; you won’t lose much on the re-sale value, which means you can experiment a bunch, even buying a few amps simultaneously and selling the ones you like least. You’ll take a hit on shipping, of course, and you’ll lose out on warranties, but if you can’t audition, this will at least help you avoid making blind purchases and being stuck with something you either don’t like or would have to sell for a significant loss. And without some experimentation, you’ll be hard pressed to know if you got the right one!

There are so many factors at play that I’d strongly encourage you to listen to amps in your own setup at home. The Bifrost 2 is a popular, common recommendation because, frankly, there’s little else to rival it in that price range, and the prevailing wisdom is that you’d have to fork out quite a bit more to get a meaningful upgrade to the sound. If you were to get this DAC (or any other, of course), you’d have two of the key components of your chain pinned down, and then you’d just have to find the amp that best suits those two other components while appealing to your audio preferences. I hope this helps!

4 Likes

Yeah, for sure. I’m sure most of us relate there. The best thing to do is try for yourself and find out what you like and go forward from there.

As long as you don’t hear some of the hi-end stuff then I think you’ll be good. lol
If you do you’ll likely end up being much more selective based on your preferences.

Let us know what you end up with and if you like it or not. I’ll be looking forward to your experience if you don’t mind sharing.

2 Likes

For those interested in rolling some Sparkos op-amps…

Use code for 30% off: BlackCyber30

1 Like

I hope this doesn’t come across as condescending, but you should get an award for that statement. :grinning:

Too many times, newcomers will join the forum, say “I have $X to spend, what should I buy”, then they buy whatever had the most recommendations within a 2 or 3 hour period, and disappear. I hope they’re all happy with what they bought, but I sometimes think they could have gotten better for less money if they’d just taken their time and put more thought into it. And I say this as someone who was new to headfi 18 months ago, and raced through different combinations of gear a lot more quickly than I should have, and I wish that I’d taken it more slowly.

Time and patience will give you a chance to figure out what you like and care about (e.g. warm/neutral/bright, wide/narrow stage), what other forum members like and care about (so you can factor that in if someone tells you they like or dislike something) and what gear other forum members have (e.g. if someone says that amp X has too much blah blah, but they have a different DAC or headphones than you, there’s a chance that you won’t have the same issue).

The only way to know for sure is to listen to it. And if you don’t live near a place that you can demo this stuff, remember that some online vendors have return policies (e.g. Schiit, Headphones.com), so even if you have to pay for shipping it back, at least you’ve minimized your losses.

11 Likes

You hit the nail on the head, hello thy name is new how shall I ask for someone to tell me go buy this so I can be happy haha.

Wise words, the sad thing is on Headphones.com the Soloist is Final Sale! Either way, I’ll have 30 days on the Burson website so there’s that.
And since I got my partner a Jot 2 for Christmas I can try the two out and come back with my findings. See if he notices and has a difference in sound too.

5 Likes

Of the visitors here, some are (1) “one and done” – they buy something, they like it, and they rarely upgrade. Others are (2) rapid churners who try every new product as soon as possible, write reviews, and sell quickly. And some of us are (3) accumulators…or hoarders…of equipment and have a reference library for back-to-back evaluations. Each pattern can occur with low, mid, or high priced equipment.

It all depends on your personality, budget, the priority of audio equipment versus music, and much more. I know that my tastes have changed with experience and upgrades (especially DAC upgrades that made all of my old amps and headphones sound better).

Don’t rush, and know yourself.

5 Likes

It really helps (or at least it did me) to try to find somebody (here or somewhere else) whose tastes align with yours, or at least is consistent, as a starting point. Follow them, and use what they say as a jumping-off point. The reality is that there is not that much really bad gear out there, and if it is the music that is really the source of your pleasure, most of the gear is gonna sound pretty good.

6 Likes

As I delve deeper a lot of people just keep coming up with the Bifrost 2 as their DAC option and @PaisleyUnderground suggested it is a very musical DAC but now I’m curious if there are other comparisons?

See this post, thread, and more from @Torq. He’s one of the most experienced and credible sources here.

Also this

4 Likes

Thanks for the links! Just read an account of a headphone driver blowing using a soloist but I’m assuming Burson has solved that issue. But now I’m going to be very paranoid about plugging and unplugging my VCs.

Some people indeed did have issues with Burson amps a while ago. I don’t know if they were isolated problems, part of a bad batch, etc. I have no direct experience with the brand.

1 Like

Hasn’t come up lately as an issue from reviews and posts I’ve read but this has unlocked a new fear

1 Like

I can offer only a very limited perspective. I started with entry-level DACs, including one by Schiit, then upgraded to the Airist R-2R DAC, which is no longer in production. At the time of its release, it was an appealing DAC because it used an R2R implementation, which differed from the others out there (e.g. Delta Sigma DACs). It was also priced slight higher than the Schiit Modi Multibit and, according to Torq and some other reviewers, it was the best DAC you could get until you reached a much higher price range, around $1K. All this was before the Bifrost 2 was released.

The Bifrost 2 dramatically altered the cost-benefit proposition of DACs. It came very close to some of Schiit’s higher-tier DACs. Schiit, commendably, is not reluctant to release new and improved products even if they cannibalize the sales of their own higher-tier offerings. In this case, the Bifrost 2 rivaled the Gungnir Multibit DAC in some respects. This thread on another forum is enlightening about this, especially this post. I’d recommend checking out the various impressions there and this set of impressions, in particular, which for the most part align with my own (where they don’t it’s simply because I lack that reviewer’s experience and knowledge).

Schiit has a deserved, strong reputation for its DACs. The other ones mentioned in the posts @generic provided links to are also well worth considering, I should think, given the knowledge of those posting their impressions, and I’d also recommend looking into the Soekris DACs, which also receive widespread praise.

I’d recommend that you skip over the entry-level gear. Your budget allows you to do so, and you have a pair of top of the line headphones that warrant (and will do justice to) better-quality source gear. I’d say the Modi Multibit is about as low as you should consider going. It’s supposed to be an excellent DAC, slightly dark in its tonality, and still very good for the price. It’s been out for a while now, though, and is a bit long in the tooth, and I vaguely remember Schiit mentioning that they were planning to discontinue it before a fire broke out at the AKM chip factory, which brought a halt to the production of chips used in many other DACs. The Bifrost 2 is a meaningful step up from the Modi MB, and there aren’t many other DACs, from what I gather, that improve upon it significantly until you get to the $1K threshold.

Given your overall budget, I’d say allocating $700 on a DAC and the rest (some $1K right?), on an amp, makes good sense. The general rule of thumb is that headphones provide the greatest impact on overall sound quality of a system, then the amp, then the DAC, and finally the source. Only when people reach the top-tier of the hobby do sources and DACs become particularly important.

Finally, take a look at this excellent post from @ProfFalkin, one of our senior members and one of the most experienced folks in the hobby. He mentions the Schiit Gungnir A2 in place of the Bifrost 2 for the Vérité, which I suspect is because of the particular qualities of its pairing with the specific amp he recommends, too. I’m not sure if the Gungnir A2 is the current production one. I’ve lost track!

5 Likes

That’s the current version. Though there have been rumors’ of an upgrade.
I’d take a Gungnir Multibit A2 over a Bifrost 2 if they were the same price (they aren’t) and I had the luxury of running the balanced out. I generally prefer the BF2 single ended, but it’s close.
They have somewhat different sound signatures, Gungnir has more open top end, BF2 has marginally better bass control.
BF2 is a very good value proposition, it’d be my go to DAC at that price point. Otherwise you’d be looking at one of the Soekris offerings or possibly the Aries II.

5 Likes

I’d ask the more experienced members to weigh in if they disagree, but I think that being paranoid about plugging/unplugging your headphones is actually a good thing, no matter what amp you eventually buy. That way you don’t need to have to remember if a particular amp has good short-circuit protection or not.

For instance, I’ve developed a paranoia-driven habit to always check that there’s no music playing, and where possible, turn the volume down to zero (which is not practical on a Burson), before plugging/unplugging my headphones. And I never leave the headphones plugged in when I turn any of my amps on or off, for fear of any power spikes.

So far so good, but I know I’ve tempted fate by typing this.

7 Likes