BURSON Soloist 3X Performance - Class A Headphone/Pre Amplifier

Yes, XLR is the way with this amp! Excellent post :+1:

1 Like

Getting my burson today! Did you ever swap the opamps to the classics? Looking forward to test with my Arya’s, ZMF VC and Atticus!

1 Like

Yeah, didn’t like it with most headphones I have which include the VC. It’s too thick and warm sounding overall. But if you like that then it’s an option that might be worth looking into.

1 Like

Congrats on your new amp. Make sure to give it plenty of ventilation space. The Burson Cool Stand is a nice add.

1 Like

I think you’ll like classics with vc I prefer my sparkos op amps with most of my other hps.

1 Like

I agree; with warm headphones it can be a bit too warm.
Didn’t you own the Focal Clears though? I really enjoy the Classics + Clear combination.
Avoid power amp mode with this combo - keep the Soloist volume low and the DAC signal high to add just a hint of warmth from the Classics - really like what Burson went for with the Classic opamp sound this way.

I did own the clears OG. Just sat there. Just didn’t hit the mark for me personally, been on the Arya jam for a while. I’m used to analytical, and looking for something more fun and mellow. Good deep bass, separation., Etc

1 Like

Yup, still do. I don’t like how, in general, the classics sacrifice upper treble extension for a more sharper lower treble. And I like my bass as tight as it can be and the classics go for the more bloated/bloomy feel. Also, I use an overall warmer DAC so going with the classics is no bueno for me.

You can also place the classics in the volume control stage rather than the output stage so that the effect is less, in case you were wondering.

Have you checked out the fostex line of closed backs (900, 900ltd, 909)? They’re known for being very fun and bassy with the caveat that they are quite picky with source.

1 Like

Yeah, I get you. Classics are good as the one warm component in a chain but not so much with a warm leaning DAC.

1 Like

Og clears are probably my most listened hp off the soloist. I enjoy my 1266 phi tc more but it’s an event to listen to them. With the clears I can just work or relax or do anything else other pay attention to the music.

I never got any metallic mess or harsh highs in this chain with of clear but I run Holo spring KTe (nos), supercharger, and sparkos op amps which all help to smooth and improve treble performance for my tastes.

If I were you I’d also look at the fostex 900mk 2 sapphire or white which have a better tuning imo.

1 Like

I wonder how the 1266 TC would sound through Soloist 3XP with the V6 Classic opamps… one can wonder :slight_smile:

Does the Soloist come with Burson XLR to RCA adapters included? The manual I downloaded seems to indicate it does. Burson also seems to say that standard female XLR to male RCA cables are a no-go, and will void warranty/damage components.

I don’t own one, I’m thinking of buying it, still on the fence… My powered speakers take RCA in only, no XLR.

Not when I got mine.

Yeah you’re gonna have to buy some specialty adapters if you want to use the preamp.

1 Like

@robson I just emailed Burson because I’m in the same situation as you. I have a Jot 2 purely to act as a volume control for my powered monitors and it would be nice to use the Soloist as a pre-amp.

My guess is that they developed the adapters recently, as my Soloist (bought in Dec 2020) didn’t come with them, so I’ve asked how much they would be. I’m also curious about what makes these adapters safe to use.

For others interested in this topic, this is an excerpt from the latest version of the Soloist 3XP manual (this paragraph confusingly talks about the Soloist GT):

6 Likes

Let me know what you find out, many thanks!

Burson got back to me, saying that they developed these customized adaptors in mid-2021 so that customers would no longer have to buy expensive 3rd party transformers.

For those of us whose Soloists predate mid-2021, they will cost us 40USD a pair + 15USD shipping.

I’ve asked how to buy these, since I can’t find them in their “shop”, and also to give me a short explanation of what exactly is going on inside these adapters, e.g. I’m assuming they’re not re-wired cables. Waiting for them to reply. They’re normally pretty prompt at replying o questions, but it’s already the weekend in Australia, so I may not hear anything until next week.

7 Likes

The easiest way to accomplish this is to connect xlr + to rca + and leave the xlr - floating (not connected to anything). Then both rca -'s can be connected to ground.

This avoids the cause of the damage (connecting the xlr-'s together) when a typical xlr to rca adapter is used.

1 Like

Soloist 3X GT in the house!

My first take is overall, wow, it’s pretty stunning! I am hearing detail, nuance, control, and unbelievable imaging so far. I started with ZMF Aeolus and DCA Aeon 2 open, because I am super familiar with how both sound. I heard unbelievable detail and resolution from the Aeolus, with super tight and controlled bass. The Aeolus to me is kind of a warm/dark headphone, very punchy and more of a chill listening experience than say a Focal Clear, or maybe the Verite as well. The Clear (OG) to me is kind of a “sit up and pay attention” listening experience, whereas the Aeolus can be played in the background as well as listened to closely. The Soloist GT definitely made it sound more like a Verite.

By analogy listening to this amp is kind of like in photography where you have 2 identical images, and 1 has kind of a soft focus and the background is slightly blurred, vs the same image with everything in super sharp focus front to back.

I thought about just getting a regular Soloist, but it seemed like while it would be an upgrade from a Jotunheim 2, it wouldn’t be a dramatic one.

At some point a better DAC (from Bifrost 2) would be nice, but my audio budget is busted!

Next up for listening today is Atrium and Focal Clear :+1:

One question if anyone knows, the accessory bag came with a few un-identifiable bits. There is a small black plastic and metal thing that is about the size of a large grain of rice, any ideas?
Also, a “Y” shaped 2 into 1 something along with a short cable with a single pole connector on each end. I assume something to do with a mic?

If anyone could enlighten me, much thanks!

4 Likes

If I’m imagining this correctly I believe that is an extra fuse.

Yup

2 Likes

@hifiDJ is correct. It’s a spare fuse.

2 Likes