BURSON Soloist 3X Performance - Class A Headphone/Pre Amplifier

Just for everyones interest. Here’s the passage about connection/disconnecting your headphones:

(This is the only mention of this topic in the manual.)

1 Like

I would be sad too… but yeah I’d definitely shoot them an email. Do you know if your clears are covered from the warranty?

I guess only if the Clears caused the issue. If the amp destroyed them, no.

This is heartbreaking. I hope you are able to find a resolution.

I am just disappointed. But I know technical issues can exist. And I am sure there will be a solution.

Yeah I’m really curious as to what could have caused it…hopefully, Burson has some insight as to what it might be.

1 Like

Hi Tom. I really hope you get a solution to this. It’s sickening when gear goes to tech heaven. Hope you get it sorted soon. Best wishes.

1 Like

Thanks Paul.

I guess such things happen. I know it was an issue with the Soloist and not the Clears as I checked on Conductor and Playmate 2. I will send the device back to Burson for them to examine.
I am sure we will find a satisfying solution together as I have only had good experiences with Burson’s
customer service. Also I will return the Clears for examination of course.

Unfortunately I can’t finish my Burson comparison without Soloist & the Clears.

I am grateful for all the supportive suggestions here in the forum. It’s a real pleasure. Thanks to everyone to always supporting each other! :heart:

+EDIT: I am listening to Chris Jones "Moonstruck " album with Cayin N6ii / Shozy Black Hole as replacement right now. Funny enough, the Black Hole IEMs almost give you the impression of listening to a full size headphone. I can warmly recommend giving them a listen.

7 Likes

Thanks Tom. I certainly need to listen to more Chi-fi Iems. They are now a significant player in the iem market IMHO.

3 Likes

Just got an email from Burson about the newly announced Burson Funk. Its main selling point is a small speaker amp, but what’s interesting is the headphone amp built-in–as said in the email–is a single-ended version of the soloist. All this for 544USD pre-order price. I thought this was interesting so I thought I’d share it here…

4 Likes

Quick update on my Soloist:

Burson advised me to switch out the Vivid opamps with the simple replacement ones included in the package. It works. So apparently the opamps had a defect.

Burson told me they produce 50’000 of them a year and failures like that are extremely rare. They will send new Vivids to me now.

As for the Clears, I will have to see what Focal decides…

5 Likes

Good to hear that part of the situation solved!

You had spare opamps from your soloist? I didn’t get any with mine. Or did Burson send those out?

Which opamps did you replace? All 4 or just 2?

1 Like

I had to throw away all four because how to know the culprit, right?

Every Burson I have came with a set of those:

5 Likes

I was wondering what those were!

1 Like

They are low noise dual amps, apparently. I assume they are rather cheap compared to the Vivids as the Vivid construction (and size) seems much more complex.

Before:

After:

2 Likes

So smol! Now I’m curious how they sound…lol

Considering the Vivid V6’s are a 200$ upgrade on the regular (orange) ones, those are probably the very basic ones for functionality test/emergency use only. I am not sure about continuing testing with those. Also, my Clears are damaged and those were my go-to headphones to compare the Burson to each other. Also, I am a bit anxious right now to attach say an EE Odin. :face_with_monocle:

The Clears were bad, but the loss of Odin would be terrible. :scream: Although, Burson told me I can use the Soloist with confidence as such failures are rare.

2 Likes

I’m wondering: How is the noise floor with IEMs? I had tested with Conductor 3XR & Playmate 2 and both had a certain noise floor with my IEMs.

I’m on vacation for the rest of the month, so I’ll try my Nios out when I get back. When I wrote my Soloist review the night before I left for the airport, I briefly tried the Nios and did notice a small amount of hiss, but I could have sworn I had no noise the last time I tried them. By this time it was 4am and I decided to keep my review to headphones, which would make up 99.9% of my listening.

1 Like

I used the 3XP with CA Dorado 2020 IEM’s and had no problem with noise floor.

1 Like