Cables - 3rd Party/Upgrades & Recommendations

Mine should arrive next week I’ll post pictures and give a quick impression once I get them! Regarding the hartaudio modular cables…

1 Like

I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on the DT 177X GO after Christmas. Hart audio makes a cable for them (it’s a 4 pin mini XLR balanced). For a hundred bucks these will definitely be ordered as well.

Looking forward to your impressions.

2 Likes

Their ic3 adapter… It has 4 pin XLR male on one end… What’s on the other? I hope it’s not TRS female. It’s my understanding that will blow stuff up.

Edit - 4 pin mini XLR on other end?

1 Like

The DT 177X uses a balanced 4 pin mini XLR. It’s the only Beyerdynamic that I’m aware of with this connection.

In my humble opinion I think the Shure mini XLR should be industry standard for headphones and any connector with low level electricity and BNC connectors for video. I know, I know. I’m not really an old curmudegon I just play like one occasionally.:yum:

2 Likes

I just ordered this set w/ an HD600 compatible cable. Will update how it sounds when I get it in.

2 Likes

Recently bought the Chars 8 core Gold/Silver MMCX cable for my Shure se425’s to replace my Yinyoo 6 core copper cable. I’ll post a review soon, but anyone have any experience comparing the two?

1 Like

I asked Ian this question earlier and he had some great advice though he has not had any experience with Forza Audio Works.

So I am curious if anyone has any feedback for Forza Audio Works, I belive I read on the site somewhere that a few members were happy with their products but I can’t remember what particular thread that was on.

I am looking at two different headphone cable manufacturers, first is Norne Audio second is Forza Audio Works. What I am actually looking for is a well made (5ft) cable for my Focal Elegia, Elex, and Hifiman Ananda. Specifically one that is the least “rubbing” microphonics as possible. As I currently have a Cardas cable that I like with the exception that it is a 10ft cable(used for when I only had one headphone amp and dac in my living room) and it is very “rubbing” microphonic especially with the Focal Elegia’s.

To clarify what I mean by “rubbing” microphonics is when the cable rubs up against my shirt, specifically the strain relief (above the y split)
For the Elegia and the Cardas Cable if I move at all or turn my head I hear the cable.

The Norne cable I am look at is: DRAUG 3 - 4X20AWG - COPPER OCC LITZ - 24-WIRE TRI MULTI-CONDUCTOR
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Draug-v-3-headphone-cable-occ-litz-copper-cu-aftermarket-hifiman-susvara-audeze-lcd-2-3-3f-x-xc-4-4mx-he1k-he1000-v2-norne-audio-masterpiece-focal-elear-clear-utopia-sennheiser-hd800-hd800s-sony-z1r-z7-balanced-4-pin-xlr

The Forza Audio Works cable is the: “Claire HPC Mk2 headphone cable is:

Or possibly the: “Claire Hybrid HPC headphone cable is:

• Highest purity, 8 strands of cryo 7N UPOCC copper + UPOCC silver in semi-Litz geometry and PE insulation (no more green copper oxide on your wire!). Blend of the best materials available for superior sound experience and ergonomics.”
    https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=73

Appreciate the help
Thank You

Jeremy

3 Likes

When I was in the market for a cable, I went to Norne first. I purchased something, I can’t even recall what. After 2.5 months waiting, and sending emails asking for an update, I finally cancelled my order. I went to Forza and had a cable inside of 2 weeks.

I have the Claire and can report there is virtually no noise from the cable rubbing against my shirt. I’d buy from them again without hesitation.

5 Likes

Really appreciate this @ProfFalkin Thank You!

1 Like

Hi, I am using an Arctic silver Upocc cable for the Stellia and am very happy with the sound/aesthetic/handling upgrade without microphonics or „rubbing“.

They also sell their cables on eBay. It’s probably cheaper than Norne audio but you know „cheap“ is relative in this price category :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you @newernow

I will check these out

I bought a 2.5mm balanced cable from Forza for my Andromedas around 18 months ago. I am more than pleased with the cable. It’s great quality and well made. There is quite a large thread over on the Head-fi forum. The owner is quite accessible but sometimes doesn’t get straight back in contact which is understandable give the busy workload. The whole process from order to delivery took 10 days inc shipping to the UK. I would order again no worries.

3 Likes

I appreciate the feedback, Thank You Paul @prfallon69
You are now the second person to praise these cables. As @ProfFalkin has had a good experience with them as well, he also mentioned the specific cable I am looking at getting and said microphonics from rubbing against his shirt was “virtually no noise”.

Definitely looking like I might purchase from them, especially since the price is half that of the Norne Cable, which I don’t mind paying for quality, as my main goal is to purchase a high quality ‘well made’ cable that has the lowest “rubbing” microphonics I can find.

3 Likes

Glad to be of assistance I wouldn’t feel comfortable paying a substantial amount more. On the iem world there are some crazily expensive cables available. I am still yet to make my mind up regarding the amount of change a cable can bring to the sound. Maybe a small change on very sensitive iems but I think a large amount of placebo (to which we are all susceptible) is brought into play when somebody spends $1000+ on a cable. Though having not personally heard such a cable I can’t say definitely on way or the other. I don’t begrudge anyone spending their own money on whatever they wish. If it enhances their enjoyment I say go for it.

4 Likes

Good advice and yes I do believe “we are all susceptible” to placebo/expectation bias.

For Forza, the price is ‘right’ the cable seems to be of high quality and the ‘reduction’ in microphonics from rubbing against clothing. This cable seems to have everything I am looking for, I believe I will purchase from them and try the cable, specifically the:
Claire HPC Mk2 headphone cable
https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=80

Again thank you Paul

Jeremy

2 Likes

I am another happy owner of several Forza cables, and they are dead silent to the touch, and look incredible, with top notch build quality. I can’t recommend them enough. They have some of the quicker turn around times, of all the cable makers. Norne cables, which I own 3 of, are top of line quality and performance, but wait times and communication is very inconsistent, and one needs to know this when dealing with them.

3 Likes

As someone that has recently gotten into cables, and especially for my iems, I can confirm that some of those crazy high end offerings can make quite a difference to the sound. My latest cable acquisition, for my K10U iem is the Satin Audio Athena 8 wire, and this cable was like adding a really good tube amp to the chain.

Here is a photo of my portable endgame.

Noble Audio K10U and Satin Audio Athena 8 wire

4 Likes

I just want to add, that although I have some higher end Norne cables for my full sized headphones, such as their Silvergarde S1 and Draug 3, I can’t hear that much of a difference, than with my Forza cables. I think you have to have a super high end DAC/Amp and highly resolving headphones to hear the differences better, and my gear is not quite there. Although, with my iems, I can clearly hear the differences. I think the immediacy of the sound and sensitivity of the iems, let’s one hear the differences easier. I have cables for my iems from Norne, Effect Audio, PW Audio, and Satin Audio, and they all impart a slightly different flavor, kind of like tube rolling, with a hybrid tube amp.

4 Likes

Thanks for all of the great info Wes!

I ended up purchasing the Claire HPC Mk2 headphone cable from Forza

4 Likes