Classical Music Discussion

I can’t believe that the “Music and Drinks Pairing” has more posts than Classical or Jazz threads.

For anyone who’s looking for a deep deep bass test for headphones, I’ve got one I ran across the other day. It’s Thomas Trotter’s disc of Franz Liszt organ pieces. It doesn’t seem to be in print any more, but Amazon has used copies for a couple bucks, and it’s also included in the DGG box of Liszt’s works that came out a few years ago, which is where I got it. Breathtaking stuff through the right pair of headphones (I had best results with Focal Elear, but the HD600 did respectably well too).

2 Likes

Google Play Music has this. The low end on the first track sounded very muddy to me, even on my LCD2C. Not sure if it’s reverb in the venue, a poor master or what, but it was not enjoyable.

As a contrast, the below has some occasional very low organ and it much clearer and pleading to me, even on my HD58X.

Comparing the real time Spectra of the two, both have a lot of bass and subbass content, but the Fagius recording had some content over 4k too whereas the other one really doesn’t.

2 Likes

LOL… I am digging my way through all my Deutsche Gramophone recordings and comparing and listening. this has turned out to be a much bigger project than i realized at the beginning.

I am up to my neck and comparing DG recordings/Karajan and otherwise. It’s an interesting project.

I am up to my neck in comparing Mahler One’s but its almost finished.

I am almost finished with my essay,“What is Classical Music?” Probably will be the first to hit here amongst my three projects.

1 Like

I must admit I have many recordings of classical music and only listen occasionally. They are usually the same ones over and over. Since you started this thread not only am I listening to my other classical music but have become enthralled with knowing more about the composers , their lives and the meaning of their works. This has really inspired me to know more.

For instance I have always love Petrovich Mussorgsky work, but who would have thought he died at only 42 of acute alcoholism. Born into wealth and then became penniless, and often times homeless. Trying to learn how much this influenced his works.

The layering, ability to have so many instruments blend into each other. Oh, I could go on and on but I know so little about how to learn how to explain it . I suppose listening on good gear, which I am fortunate to have helps a great deal.

Thanks for your contributions in this genre. I am listening mostly to classical now and comparing conductors and orchestras to see which I like best. Not wanting to be snobbish, but I have become so fascinated by this I have recently put aside my other genres for the time being. They seem so much less of an experience than my new passion for classical. Gosh! Forgive my snobbishness, but it’s where I am now. Who knows, maybe I’m on a “pink cloud” about it. For now I’m going to ride it for all as I can.

2 Likes

ok…let’s go for it… Mussorgsky is interesting because he is part of the Russian Classical Music “genre.” Of course there is Tschaikovsky and others as well. Mussorgsky,Borodin,Shostakovach,Prokoviev, and other lesser knowns. It is particularly… “Russian” versus the Austro-Germanic center of classical Music. Russian Classical music differs from the Austro-Germanic thread in the sense that there seems to be a greater emphasis on melody/.emotion and less so on “intellectual” forward movement of what classical music is. But then there is Stravinsky. His "Rite of Spring"was known to be so revolutionary. But was it really?

**Sergei Rachmaninoff quotes

• “Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.” ― Sergei Rachmaninov. …

It really makes you think???

Bach in a moment, Offenbach sooner.

2 Likes

LOL… I promised some type of “thoughts” on Mahler ONE and Karajan/DG sound. Those will take a bit more time . Will be back with… “What is Classical Music?”… To anyone here…what is Classical Music TO YOU?

Since you’re doing DG Mahler Ones, I’m interested in your opinion of my favorite of them all, the Kubelik recording. I like his excitement level and sense of dramatic tension; Kubelik is terrific with Wagner for the same reasons.

1 Like

Thank you for introducing Rafael Kubelik int to this discussion of recordings of Mahler Symphonies. As we speak, I am listening to Kubelik/Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra/DG. I will post my feelings within the next 48 hours.

As I have said on this thread is I do not know much about classical music. Yes I have listened to it from time to time and have some special symphonies, opera, etc.

What I can say about classical music is my ears love all the beauty and artistry of it. I have a big appetite for it.

I am truly amazed as I listen to Jennie Toure . sing " Kindertotenlieder " and Leonard Bernstein an NYPO
So beautiful a voice.

I certainly now on a journey to learn all I can soak up. I find myself researching composers and their compositions as relates to their stories. I am enjoying this immensely.

@frank_gyure2 . I appreciate continued effort to keep this thread going, and all those who contribute. I am anxious to learn more. I will share what little I learn, but for now I remain a student.

2 Likes

Suggestion for classical selections for a bass workout for LCD-4s

Well there is a DG recording of [Rossini’s - corrected] Tchaikovsky’s 1812 overture that has actual cannon firing with a fundamental of 8hz. Try also to find some classical church organ renditions - Bach if you like classical, or “Night on Bald Mountain” if you want something more modern. The Tomita electronic classical has that on synth.

But as I said before, if you haven’t gotten a recording of Benjamin Britten’s Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra, you ought to get one. I think you will find the single sounds of the instruments to be something you will routinely use to check headphones. I checked HD Tracks, and their highest res version is redbook quality -

Tidal has a bunch of versions, including the David Bowie narration, so you may want to look there for streaming.

3 Likes

Do you guys class Opera as Classical or a whole genre on its own. It doesn’t get many mentions. Any reason? I aren’t an Opera buff, but it just crossed my mind.

-Paul-

1 Like

It’s typically classified as its own genre.

A few possibilities … there are fewer distinct pieces than in the classical genre … with fewer enthusiasts … that likely being down to a) a typical opera is a 2+ hour listen b) often as not in a language the listener probably doesn’t speak/understand c) is a story and d) is most often found in “highlights” forms that kind of miss the bigger picture.

Personally, I love it - so does my girlie. It features in every audition and in the listening I do for all reviews, and I keep season tickets/subscriptions to the Seattle, Chicago and Convent Garden opera.

Many of my fiancé’s friends would tell you they “love opera” too …

Though when asked about which ones they like the list starts, and ends, with “Phantom of the Opera” … which isn’t even an opera … (it’s a musical).

2 Likes

Thanks. I kind of thought it was a genre in its own right. I have an album (CD) somewhere that has famous Opera singers on, Caruso and such notables. It’s can be very emotive listening to even old recordings of these great opera singers. They seem to be able to carry so much emotion in their voices. It game me goosebumps the first time I heard Caruso. I can’t even remember what he sang either now but it was sublime. I will have to find the Album and stream some stuff too.

-Paul-

1 Like