Connecting ipad pro to dac/amp

Was just noodling around and noticed this thread. I’ve got the iPad Pro 11 (2021 M chip model) going to my Zen Blue V2 streaming via Bluetooth 5. This works fine in my office see The On-Topic, OFF-TOPIC Thread - #228 by pennstac for my most recent changes to the setup.

In the next few days I’ll be replacing my “it’s my 2nd back up amp and what I had 1990ish Onkyo” with the fully restored/refurbished/upgraded Sansui AU-919. I’ve ordered a pair of 7 foot “10 White” speaker cable.

Gratuitous headphone-related Anime image (Super Sonico) to break up text.

Eventually, I may get to experiment with better speaker placement, and at that time I’ll have to think about where I put the cabinet that holds the Amp and Zen Blue. I also may experiment with how and where to hide speaker wires and :drum: drum roll please — that brings me to my question that is appropriate for this thread.

I have not tried connecting the iPad Pro with the USB-C output to an external DAC. If I decided to do this – and had maybe a 10-12 foot distance to cover hiding wires to get to the amp, what would be the best way to go about the connection? I want the iPad where it is on my desk, so I can easily control everything. Should I get some sort of hub, or long USB wire to go from the USB port? It’s handy to use that USB if I want to connect my Koss Porta Pros with an Apple Dongle I don’t need it for charging because Magic Keyboard has a charging port. Should USB-C go in digital domain for a distance to a hidden DAC? Or would it be smarter to connect the DAC right by the iPad and run a long 2 volt analog signal to the pre-amp audio in?

And is there a recommended hub, or should I not bother with a hub? “Enquiring minds want to know” as a famous tabloid used to proclaim.

3 Likes