Connecting ipad pro to dac/amp

I know this is basic but any help is appreciated. Typically i listen to music either stored in or via Tidal on an A&K DAP. Unfortunately, Tidal quit working and I cannot log in again on the DAP. I tried emptying cache, reloading Tidal App, changing passwords etc. very frustrating. I decided to use The Ipad pro, but not sure what i need to connect. I have aDAC /amp combo Phonitor amp. As well as a Jot 2. I purchased a usbc/rca adaptor, but not getting the sound. Thanks for suggestions

You need the apple dongle to convert lightning to usb, and then a usb cable to run from the dongle to the doc on your phoniter.

It’s called the camera connection kit, and there are two versions. I prefer the one that lets me charge at the same time.

1 Like

Thank you. The ipad pro is new, thus has USB-C connector and not lightning.

Weird, that should support digital out directly.

Have you connected the usb c on your iPad tto the usb input on the phoniter using a usb cable?

I have not. I only have a usb c to rca connector. Is the solution to have a C to USB?

Yep. Shouldn’t be hard to get one from Amazon or even the local Walgreens has them.

Mark Gosdin

1 Like

Did you check the date and time on your dap? I had the same problem with tidal and that is all it was. My time was 1 hour off and it would not let me log in. That may not be the problem but it’s worth a try.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Checked it just now and the time is correct.

Which model is your AK DAP?

The DAP I am using is the SR 15

Might try reloading via Open APK.

Hello I use any USB-C OTG cable- the Audioquest is very good and costs and costs roughly $40.00AUD.

Was just noodling around and noticed this thread. I’ve got the iPad Pro 11 (2021 M chip model) going to my Zen Blue V2 streaming via Bluetooth 5. This works fine in my office see The On-Topic, OFF-TOPIC Thread - #228 by pennstac for my most recent changes to the setup.

In the next few days I’ll be replacing my “it’s my 2nd back up amp and what I had 1990ish Onkyo” with the fully restored/refurbished/upgraded Sansui AU-919. I’ve ordered a pair of 7 foot “10 White” speaker cable.

Gratuitous headphone-related Anime image (Super Sonico) to break up text.

Eventually, I may get to experiment with better speaker placement, and at that time I’ll have to think about where I put the cabinet that holds the Amp and Zen Blue. I also may experiment with how and where to hide speaker wires and :drum: drum roll please — that brings me to my question that is appropriate for this thread.

I have not tried connecting the iPad Pro with the USB-C output to an external DAC. If I decided to do this – and had maybe a 10-12 foot distance to cover hiding wires to get to the amp, what would be the best way to go about the connection? I want the iPad where it is on my desk, so I can easily control everything. Should I get some sort of hub, or long USB wire to go from the USB port? It’s handy to use that USB if I want to connect my Koss Porta Pros with an Apple Dongle I don’t need it for charging because Magic Keyboard has a charging port. Should USB-C go in digital domain for a distance to a hidden DAC? Or would it be smarter to connect the DAC right by the iPad and run a long 2 volt analog signal to the pre-amp audio in?

And is there a recommended hub, or should I not bother with a hub? “Enquiring minds want to know” as a famous tabloid used to proclaim.

3 Likes

Adding on here - I really did want some advice, not just hearts, which I assume are for Super Sonico.

As I see it, I have the possibility of using a camera kit on the iPad (Is that needed with USB-C 2021 ipad?) and dinking USB probably too far - possibly over 10 ft to a DAC near the preamp. OR, I could get some kind of USB-SPDIF either TOSLINK or coax to a DAC near the preamp, OR, I could keep the DAC near the iPad and run RCA cables to the preamp.

The Zen Blue V2 ONLY uses Bluetooth as an input, so I’d need another DAC. I could use my iFi xDSD or pick up something else.

Thoughts? Please respond, or I’ll take your minds away by uploading another headphone-related anime image, possibly Super Pochaco, Super Sonico’s more um… full-figured friend.

You don’t need any connection kits to connect a USB-C equipped iPad to an external USB DAC. Just an appropriate USB-C to USB 2.0 cable. Keep it under 5 meters, and go with something that properly meets the USB-C/USB 2.0 specs.

2 Likes

Thank you.
I thought I might not need the camera kit.

Would an Audioquest Dragon Tail be appropriate or overkill?

Never tried printer to usb-c. I’ve been connecting my 2019 ipad pro with Apple printer adapter.

I’ll have to try this.

It’d be pretty pointless.

Just get a direct USB-C to whatever USB connection your DAC has cable. You don’t want extra unnecessary connections.

1 Like

Yep usb-c iPad Mini 6 works great. No more extra dongles for using dongles :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any reason to go above usb 2.0?