Sabaj

This company is currently hitting one blockbuster after another on the market.

1.)

I have had some very good experiences with this DAC / amp in the last few days.

In my opinion, it plays at least on the level of a Fiio K9pro, but is much more versatile due to its setting options, remote control, volume separation between headphone amplifier and DAC…

And looks a lot better.

2.)

And now this model, if the A30 is anywhere near as good as my A20, it’s a safe bet for me to power my desk speakers.

For me so far a completely underestimated brand that I will keep an eye on from now on:

8 Likes

I saw this on Amazon. What I can’t find is the output power of the amp. Into say 32 ohm

Why do none of these amps ever seem to have an HPF for the speakers?

It’s great that they have an LPF for the sub but I want to remove what I am sending to the sub from the mains.

Not a complaint at Sabaj but most of these amps in general.

If the quoted 200W into 4Ω and 100W into 8Ω are accurate, then it should do 25W into 32Ω.

And it should be fine doing that; it’s going into lower-than-rated impedances where things tend to get iffy.

[Edit: These numbers refer to the A30A]

1 Like

I was looking at the SABAJ A20d 2022 Version, Hi-Res Balanced Audio DAC, True Balanced Output Headphone Amplifier, I think you were looking at Lothar’s other link, the one he is thinking of for speakers.

1.1 Watts @ 33 Ohm according to ASR measurements.

1 Like

Are you getting this to listen to? I’m interested in hearing about it, after all ASR likes some nice measuring DACs that have sound as brittle as an over baked philo dough spanakopita crust.

1 Like

Topping (Guangzhou Topping Electronics & Technology) is Chinese, not Japanese.

Regards,
Vic

2 Likes

Doesn’t look like a gaffe. You did say “Ch-Fi” which is shorthand for Chinese High Fidelity. And all of the companies you mentioned including FIIO and SMSL are from China. Looks like either Guangzhou or Shenzhen.

But on another subject, did you ever get to listen to the Sabaj a10d 2022 edition? It appears to also be good at about $150 less. Apparently not a true balanced, and a cheaper version of the ESS 9038 chip - not the PRO. But the output seems to be the same - probably the same TI optamos. ASR seemed to fawn over it’s measurements also. Except the SINAD wasn’t as good, and you know how they like SINAD.

1 Like

Japan is the “land of the rising sun.” Their flag:

Japan and China are very different places and some people in each country have hard feelings following wars dating back centuries.

[Side note, my mother once emailed one of those chain letters of things “in Japan” but they were all in China!]

1 Like

Shows how much I pay attention to titles a few messages up. Of course that would explain the gaffe.

I guess there are a few companies from Japan in the headphone game - like STAX!
And that conglomerate Sony.

Big world, so many toes to be careful not to step on. Of course, as an American, I’m privileged to act as a bull in a china shop (small c china as in ceramic dish shop) and just start talking louder when people don’t understand American English.

I agree with this statement :slightly_smiling_face:

However, I am not going to move the posts to off topic as I’m not sure the conversation is headed anywhere.

So back to the Sabaj…

3 Likes

I’ve gone ahead and ordered one of the a20d 2022 versions. Estimated delivery is August 10. Was reading the Rosson Audio RAD-0 manual, and they do recommend more power than I get with the xDSD. I have two use cases for the Sabaj. Not travel, but in the second house in State College, or perhaps to replace my aging TEAC DAC in the main audio system.

At work, I use the iFi ZenBlue V2 to send streaming into my integrated amp. I could try it there, but I’m happy with the ZenBlue for that purpose. I suspect any sound limitations are still with BT5 instead of running a wire inconveniently in the office. Still it would give me a comparison point should I want one.

2 Likes

I hope you get well soon Lothar_Wolf. Take care.

5 Likes

Yes, @Lothar_Wolf is right, you do pick up on things well. I too hope for a speedy recovery, and wonder what kind of medical emergency mandates using Campfire Andromedas. If it were me, it would be “Rockin Pneumonia & Boogie-Woogie Flu”

I choose this version because I’ve not heard it yet (I will in a minute) and I’m a Dr. John fan.

And I send my best to Lothar and with him a speedy recovery.

Yikes! I hope they fix everything and that you’ll be back to our beloved Grados and other headphones shortly.

2 Likes

Hope all goes well and you are over it quickly @Lothar_Wolf !

3 Likes

Hi Lothar_Wolf. So sorry to hear of your health issues. I wish you a speedy recovery. Keep listening to the music and enjoying your wonderful collection of gear. This will certainly aid your recovery. Best wishes my friend.

2 Likes

I was just able to listen for a few minutes today. Very nice clean sound. Clearly better than my old iFi xDSD. It sounds well, solid state. Not like my BF2/64 / Lyr3 stack. First impression is that it’s not significantly worse than that, just different. Even single ended (waiting on a double-ended cable. I mean a balanced cable) it powers the Rosson RAD-0 with authority. Probably should hear what it does with the Senn HD-6xx. Eventually.

This was bought for the other house, which I’m not at now. Might try it in the office. Lots of output options.

4 Likes

USB driver question

I’d experienced some difficulty with a proper USB-C cable (that’s it’s own can of worms) connecting to my iPad Pro. It works with an Audioquest Dragon Tail in line, which @Torq points out operates in USB-2, suggesting that the Sabaj has an older driver that could be fixed with a firmware update.

On the official Sabaj site, there is an XMOS USB driver setup file, in RAR format. It’s a version 5.0 and shows a 2020 date. I suspect this is NOT a firmware update but a driver for windows. Looking at the manual, it shows USB compatibility with Mac OSX 10.6 or later (and Linux) Driverless, and Windows requiring a driver.

There is no guarantee of compatibility with say, an iPad Pro with M1 running iOS.
Thoughts?

I’ve sent an email inquiry to Sabaj.

2 Likes