DAC Amp Suggestions

SDAC has always, and only, been AKM4452. If you ready differently, someone’s probably been smoking something they’re not supposed to (i.e. whomever was claiming they used ESS chips).

My thoughts on a number of DAC chipsets can be found here.

I’ve generally enjoyed Burr Brown-based DACs. Still do, in most cases. I really liked the old Rotel RCD-965BX … back when it was a current product.

Back on the SABRE thing … the issues are not, by any means, limited to moderately priced gear. I’ve heard the same artifacts in pushing 5-figure converters that were supposedly “no holds barred” in their implementations.

And I’ve heard implementations for under $500 that do not have the “typical” SABRE issues.

4 Likes

That AKM 4490 Is a dandy chip. Have one in my A&K Kann DAP.

I have over the past few DACs become an AKM fan…on average they just sound the best to “my” ears. Now there are plenty of other DACs that also sound fantastic and aren’t based on AKM that I’ve heard, the NiBL comes to mind, A&K SR15, Airist R-2R… to name a few. I just really like that “velvety sound” I guess :wink: lol

1 Like

Good luck with your purchase and I hope it all works out for you. You seem to have given it careful consideration and I will be looking forward to hearing how it fits into your system.

I’ve been waiting a while to be able to post this. I get my first pair of real headphones today (Focal Elear w/Utopia Pads). I’m going to need a DAC and Amp and I’m interested in everyone’s opinion. Budget is around $600ish for both. I’m also okay with used as an option too. I’ve been told to not overthink it, but since I’m not allowed to open my present yet, I need a distraction :wink:. Right now I’m leaning towards Schiit Modi 3, and the Jotunheim or Lyr 3

2 Likes

Your choices seem solid! The Jotunheim is a great amp, and the Modi 3 is also pretty great.

Other options: Grace SDAC balanced just went live on (Mass)Drop.com and one of my favorites is the Airist R-2R.

For an all in one setup that is really hard to beat is the Monolith THX-788.

Lots of options =)

2 Likes

DAC choices, to consider:

Modi 3, Grace SDAC, Grace SDAC-Balanced, Modi MB, Airist R-2R DAC.

No reason to spend more than that on a pure DAC, as the stuff priced between these, and your budget, are mostly DAC/amp combinations, and the most commonly recommended ones don’t play well with lower impedance headphones like the Elear.

Amps:

JDS Labs Atom, Magni 3, Vali 2, THX AAA 789, Jotunheim, Lyr 3

All will do a more than capable job of driving the Elear. All will mate well with them. If you’re able to get a balanced cable for the Elear, then the Jotunheim will give you the best resolution, stage and imaging.

If you do go with the Jotunheim, the Grace SDAC-Balanced is the best sounding, and least expensive, competent balanced DAC I’m aware of. I am likely have my review of this posted today, since the thing is now actually available again.

DAC/amp combinations:

iFi Micro iDSD Black Label, maybe the Singxer SDA-2 (I’ve not heard this myself; going by @TylersEclectic’s review), Topping DX3 Pro, or one of the above amps with a built-in DAC card (though the external DACs are all better).

Avoid things like the DX7s … the output impedance is nonsense and does not play well with the Elear.

4 Likes

And … the SDAC-B is out of stock already!

1 Like

…before I even had a chance to look at it.

2 Likes

Seriously? They only made 188 of these available? This seemed like the ideal solution as a stand-alone DAC to feed studio monitors, so boo urns. Heaven forbid a guy should have his coffee before he presses the order button.

1 Like

Okay let me ask this @Torq and @TylersEclectic. I’m no stranger to this audiophile rabbit hole, so it’s quite conceivable I may get a second pair or move to something else over time. So I have a selection of amps that pair well with the Elear. What about other headphones? I know there’s no end game selection here, but is there an option that in that list that pairs better some of the other popular headphones out there? (Sennheiser, Focal Clear, etc)

The 188 they sold today will likely be the extra units from the last production run, which tend to be made available for immediate shipping once in house. This also means that the last long-wait batch either just shipped to customers, or is about to.

There will be more made available.

With Massdrop, once you’ve done a couple of their deals for their more popular stuff, you learn to hit “Join Drop” first, and then take advantage of the 2-hour period before you’re locked in to decide if you really want the thing!

It’s a bit of a pain, but that’s how it works right now.

2 Likes

The last three on the list pair well with almost everything.

They’re all powerful enough to drive pretty much any can you want. They’re all technically competent. The THX is the most “reference” sounding, which can be a bit lean/clinical sometimes, the Jotunheim is a bit warmer, but similarly capable on the technicalities, and the Lyr 3 adds a bit of tube-flavor in exchange for no balanced in/output and a slightly less precise, if for me more compelling, musical delivery.

Beyond that … you’re either staring down the pure-tube rabbit hole, and probably a transformer coupled design if you want to cover both Focal’s and Sennheiser’s. Or you’re stepping up to things like the iFi Pro iCAN, Phonitor X(E), Ragnarok, GSX and so on …

For me … if sticking to the $500-ish price-point, if I was buying to listen to music for pleasure I’d go with Lyr 3. If I was buying strictly to do reviews, the THX AAA 789. And for a mix I’d do the Jotunheim.

5 Likes

I’m also ready for Lyr 3, just waiting to the end of the summer to have more time to use those 15 days Schiit allow for the return.
Right now I’m using Modi 3 and Vali 2 with an upgrade tube ($19) and some times I question myself if I do really need to expend more on Lyr 3.
Headphones are Focal Elear, HD800 and HD6xx. They all sound beautifully with that combo.

2 Likes

As good as the Vali 2 is, all of those will benefit from the increased resolution and impact of the Lyr 3. Jotunheim would give more resolution and better separation/layering still, provided it was run with balanced cables to the headphones. Though I still have a preference for Lyr 3, overall.

2 Likes

I think, @Torq sufficiently answered your question =) I also really like the JDS El Amp as an alternative cheaper solid-state stand-alone amp.

The Jot is also scalable with other headphones, I’ve not heard the Lyr 3, so I cannot offer up any thoughts on it. But honestly, if @Torq likes it, I would probably be aligned with him on the recommendation if I did hear it, based on past recommendations he has provided to me. I also don’t have as discerning an ear as he does…but I’m working on it :wink: hopefully before I go deaf lol.

3 Likes

I use a Topping D10 with a JDS Labs Atom and I’m very happy with the combo, sonically and aesthetically. I did replace the stock knob with a machined aluminum knob.

4 Likes

Ditto :wink:

(I also like the SU-8, I use it to feed the P20 and ceiling speakers in the office.)

1 Like

It took me a week reading back and forth to decide between Lyr 3 and Jotunheim and was already clear I wanted the Lyr when @TylersEclectic post his Jot for sale!!! That day I needed self therapy to keep me in the Lyr path. Since I have not balanced cables for Elear and HD800, was easy( not too easy) to setup my mind again.
Still, in some lonely nights I murmur in dreams: - Jotunheim…$240…shipping and fees included…
And over the pallid bust of Pallas quoth the raven “nevermore”.

2 Likes

Still in a break in period, but I’m pleased as punch with the Lyr 3. Better built and heavier than I expected, I’m still trying to find time to listen to my range of phones.

Powers the Hifiman HE-560 with authority. More musical than I’ve ever heard them. Bass is strong without excessive bloom. The Sennheiser HD-6xx come alive as @Torq said they would, audibly better with the xDSD in line out mode driving the Lyr 3 than just using the xDSD amp section to drive the phones.

I want to hear my vintage Audio Technicas, and also the Grados and some IEMs.

4 Likes