Daft Punk calling it quits

Sad day in the electronic world. Daft Punk is hanging it up after a long career. I was really looking forward to their next album and the progression and growth of their amazing style.

11 Likes

It’s been awesome though and I thank them for such great music.

What are your guys’ go-to favorites?

Mine is Lose Yourself to Dance (song never fails to make me want to dance…lol)

4 Likes

I like the song Werner Herzog is in. His part was very interesting and there is a cool rid bit about it. They used 3 different mics. For his part when he is talking about different time periods, a specific microphone coincides with it. It’s super cool to try to hear the difference. Herzog talked about it in an interview and I will try to find it.

Also that whole album is a banger. Hard for me to pick favorites on such a stellar album. Lose yourself… is definitely up there with the best!

2 Likes

Even though i’m not an EDM listener, i’ve always loved Daft Punk. I’ve been hoping for a follow up to Random Access Memories, but the dream dies now. I love Giorgio by Moroder, Conact, Fragments of Time, and One More Time.

4 Likes

This is the second one of my favorite bands to call it quits this week! Delain was the first.

Which cookie crumbles next?

1 Like

While it is quite clear that Thomas is out, I think that the latest video suggests that Guy will continue. Whether he will continue solo or as Daft Punk remains a question. It is quite clear that Thomas will not be a part of Daft Punk anymore, but it also remains a question whether he will continue with a solo career… perhaps he is quitting (or taking a break) from music as a whole.

They certainly left more than enough material behind, pure masterpieces. A legacy for sure!

3 Likes

I am at a slight loss for words. I guess it was time, RAM was in 2013 (gosh, I still think of it as the new album). But I was always looking forward to the next Daft Punk album. Not going to happen now.

I have listened to DP since Homework. Their music feels so captivating and timeless. DP could have launched today and would still have taken over the scene.

This will take some time to process.

4 Likes

Their best album for me is Tron Reconfigured. I love the Tron soundtrack, and Reconfigured is a bit more interesting. But the normal version is also really good. Their music fit well with that movie.

5 Likes

Tron: Legacy tends to be the most listened Daft Punk for me. Did these guys ever make a bad album?

I second this!

3 Likes

My two oldest boys have been fans of Daft Punk for a long time and I’ve heard quite a bit of their music, mostly from Discovery, but it’s been a while. It just never clicked for me, good but … something missing.

So, I will revisit their work and see if maybe the better systems I have now will do their music more justice.

Mark Gosdin

4 Likes

ONE MORE TIME :blue_heart:

6 Likes

This is a shame, as I had just begun getting into Daft Punk. I think listening to their music every day this week is an appropriate tribute. What is everyone’s list of top songs by them?

2 Likes

Just think of the boom when they reunite in 5 years

3 Likes

Da Funk
Around the world
One more time
Harder, better, faster, stronger
Get Lucky
Loose yourself to dance

1 Like

I’m a metalhead, yet RAM is my favorite album.

2 Likes

This … plus “Giorgio by Moroder”, “De-rezzed” and “The Grid” (reconfigured).

5 Likes

All great. I’d throw on my personal list “End of Line” (also on Tron) and “Aerodynamic,” which made meta the ironic neoclassical metal guitar solo.

“Giorgio by Moroder” might be top all-time for my list after “Da Funk” (then the Tron tracks).

Just stumbled on this a few days ago! (The sample source for “Robot Rock”.)

2 Likes

I’m quite the metalhead myself, so I’ll definitely be listening to Random Access Memory more often. Thanks!

1 Like

If anybody is interested in watching Daft Punk’s Electroma in a better quality, send me a PM. I don’t want to bring any trouble to the forum or break any rules, so I’m staying on the safer side of things.

The most epic vid on YT.

“We have a special guest. If you know who he is, good for you… if you don’t … GO HOME!!”

2 Likes