DAP w/ Separate Amp or Larger DAP

Would a small DAP and a separate amp combo be better than buying one large DAP? (If the total price was the same)
Ex) Cowon Plenue D2 + Chord Mojo vs Sony NW-ZX507

I have personally went with the smartphone + portable dac/amp route and I love it ! The Lotoo Paw S1 is small enough and it also sounds great !

If you really want a DAP, I’d go the ZX507 route though.

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice. I guess a DAP wouldn’t do much other than change the DAC chip I’m using (which according to some people doesn’t matter).

I have recently bought the Cayiin N6ii with the (A01) board installed AK chipset and the I also purchased the extra E01 board with ESS Sabre 9038pro. This whole setup I see as a very big upgrade oner my Pioneer XDP-300r in both build quality and more importantly sound quality. The interchangeable Amp and Dac modules make a very definate difference. Just my opinion of course.

5 Likes

Nice! I guess interchangeable amp modules give the best of both worlds.

1 Like

Most definitely. A different sound and different Amping too. I am going at this purely fro. An iem point of view though. I prefer to use my Desktop amps for full size gear.

1 Like

Now all I need is $1200…

1 Like

Yes that’s the unfortunate thing. It isn’t cheap.

2 Likes

Have had the Lotoo Paw S1 for a few days, and I love it too. It passes the acid test: do I want to pull it out, connect the cables, plug it into my iPhone, fire up the Qobuz or Tidal app and listen? The answer is a resounding YES! I am finding it addictive a perfect solution for the ultra-mobile audiophile, who doesn’t want to carry around a lot of stuff, but who still wants to listen to quality reproduction.

3 Likes

Oh nice, specs look pretty solid too

There is also the mention of the iFi iDSD Micro BL the big-ish brick they sell for around $750. I know @crinacle reviews with his, and the vast majority of the hobbyists and reviewers respect it. I’d wager it’s like the only transportable you’d really need.

1 Like

Yes I have one of those for my desktop driving a pair of Focal Stellia. It does a great job for the size and price. The “Swiss Army” version of a DAC/AMP, it is very versatile.

4 Likes