Donald North Audio (DNA)

The new stratus brings it closer to the Stellaris then the previous model which probably wasn’t as big a jump above the Starlett as was hoped. 50% price jump though over previous stratus version.

3 Likes

Putting the noise issues aside, how did you feel the A&S amps compared to DNA? I’ve been wanting to get a DNA amp but I’d have to sell my A&S great to afford it, and I’m afraid I’ll regret it. I’d be hoping for a more spacious soundstage and a wetter, less dry presentation. Those are the areas my Ovation sometimes seems lacking.

1 Like

A&S are easy to get again, you can always get another. If you want a DNA better get in soon, wait gets longer and longer, will be a year before you even get one. It won’t be a super noticable different in soundstage, maybe slightly larger. If you want large soundstage get an EC; however, they aren’t wet they are very dry. If you want a wet sound, DNA is the way to go.

You will just need to get it and compare. Most of us in the DNA thread have used and tried A&S and we went DNA because we think its better, so you will get mostly people saying DNA is better.

Up side, you won’t lose anything selling it on the used market if you don’t like it.

11 Likes

Ec has probably the widest stage I’ve heard for amps but it’s does have a more solid state sound characteristics especially with regards to the leading edges and transients. A stark contrast to the dna ampa which are slightly rounded and perhaps more in line with what tube sound is expected to be like without making it too mellow. Different presentation and equally impressive in its own right.

DNA will serve you well and yout description is pretty much the reason I like using it.

3 Likes

I will put noise aside for now…

Not even in the same class, one is an American hot rod that can go fast in a straight line (ASS), while the other is German sports car that is able to be driven on the Autobahn at ridiculous speeds while hugging every turn and keeping the car in balance.

Let me ask you this, have you seen the inside of an ASS amp and that of a DNA? Have a peek, you will see the difference in craftsmanship and also parts used. Yes these don’t cover the sound, as to me there is no contest where the ASS give you that power but at a cost of being too overwhelming and losing the essence of what you are listening to. DNA lets you soak it in, provides a balanced presentation where I have laughed or cried at times while listening as tracks are on shuffle.

I saw in some previous posts you have owned a DNA amp, I believe this was from the last time I raised the issue of noise back in June;

So it seems you already know the answer to the areas your Ovation is lacking?

• Soundstage is wider, but not too wide. Again I will say it is balanced, hate when a piece of gear is over exaggerated to the point where it sounds off.
  • Wetter; Yes and know. The ASS comes across as more lush, but with that could be due to the particular tube roll. For example, using KT88 power tubes, with a NOS input tube provided more wetness at the sacrifice of detail. So if you like to listen to AC/DC Highway to Hell, then that is perfect.
  • Less Dry Presentation; Definitely not on the DNA, had the EC Studio B and my Stratus for a side by side and I never understood what folks meant when they referred to a tube amp being dry. I did that day, and not my preference at all, I have a decent solid state for that sound profile.

Here is the thing with the DNA, yes there is a long ass wait time for the amps. I personally waited 12 months for my V4, and it was well worth the wait. Resale value on the amps are quite good, so if you don’t care for it you can go back to your previous amp as those are pumped out exponentially faster rate. It is ultimately up to you if you think the juice is worth the squeeze.

So here is one last thing, take your experience with the Sonnet and multiply it by 69 to get a sense of where the Starlett begins and travels via Stratus towards the Stellaris.

I think you already know the answer, if you are second guessing because of the cost that could be telling you something else that is not related to sonics of the two amps.

8 Likes

Thanks for the awesome reply, great info there. I did have one of the Original Sonett amps, the first version, not the Sonett 2. I did like it, but also thought it was not quite up to the Pendant, which being an old and relatively simple design, and Donald’s first commercial headphone amp, to be expected. But something about the sound of it resonated, and I’m thinking the newer models would more than match A&S. I’ll eventually get one, just really hesitant to sell my Ovation to fund it. The Pendant SE I can part with, without too much regret. But the Ovation is really really good to my ears. If I could make the stage a bit more spatial, especially in layering, and give it a bit more rounded and substantial transients, that would be my perfect.

1 Like

@Roark Thanks, your post really convinced me to get DNA instead. I just joined the queue.

4 Likes

The resale value is the best part of the boutique tube amps like DNA and A&S. You don’t lose much flipping. I’ve been watching the classifieds for one for awhile now but they rarely pop up, and when they do I’m always too late.

I’ll likely sell my Pendant SE, i’m not as attached to it as the Ovation. That will be my DNA fund. Unless any DNA owners want to swap with me? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can you explain what “wet sound” means?

3 Likes

Wet usually refers to something that has a more reverberant sound whereas dry is the opposite. A good example is the general difference you get with tube amps vs solid state amps. Generally, tube amps add that “wet” character and sound more “tubey” while SS amps are more “dry” in nature. There are, of course, exceptions but that’s the general difference–at least, that’s how I interpret it.

They also use these terms in the studio world. I’ll quote a “wet” definition from Sweetwater…

A term used to describe the specific character of sound that results from mixing the original sound with some effect such as reverb, delay, chorusing, etc. Recorded sounds with significant reverberation (especially when artificially added) or other “effects” applied are said to be wet, as opposed to dry, which denotes no additional effects added.

5 Likes

That’s a great point. In many audiophile discussions people seem to lose track of (1) amp versus (2) recording wetness. Right now I’m putting together a playlist of tracks with tube distortion and other effects to illustrate wet sources. A playback tube amp can produce either 2x the wetness or make a dry recording sound wet. While often desirable, it can be too much of a good thing and result in fuzz and haze.

6 Likes

Following this. I would be keen to know

1 Like

Very good description on the difference between the 2 makers. On a scale with 100 being the wettest I’d probably put starlett on 60-70. No over the top lushness. Just the right amount of decay and reverb without sounding sluggish. EC on the other hand will probably be 5-10 max. Never heard a tube amp a solid state like transients and attack which is a surprise on first listen. It still maintains a certain lushness in its mids which imo likely attributed to the use of 300b.

1 Like

Heya! I’ve got an EC Studio B; when I was using a DAVE and an M Scaler, yes, it did have a bit more of a ‘solid-state’ sound, but still nothing like plugging phones right into the DAVE. Replaced the Chord gear with a Holo May DAC. Yeah, it really IS as good as all the raves, as far as I’m concerned. Now the Studio B sounds rich, lush, 3-D, everything I want from a tube amp. Also have an A&S Forge; it’s fine now with my Susvaras (if a tad on the thin side) but with my Utopias and ZMF’s, yeah, that noise. Spoke to Justin, who was incredibly helpful, and he suggested a tube replacement to cut down that noise problem; just ordered those yesterday so we shall see! What I can hear THROUGH the noise, sounds great, if quite a bit different from the E.C. I’d like to get a DNA - I don’t think I’ve got room for a Stellaris, but a Stratus would do me fine, but that wait time… I don’t know if I’ll still be alive by the time it showed up!

2 Likes

Rectifier makes a big difference to transient performance on Starlett. Can be remarkably tight and quick if you want it to be.

2 Likes

If you’re talking about physical space they’re pretty much the same size. If you’re referencing price then yeah Stellaris is over 2k more at least depending on options.

1 Like

Yes this…
It’s true of the Stratus as well, the winged C rectifier it ships with results in a VERY relaxed sound, it is vastly different to something like an NOS RCA 5U4G.
But the speed is really separate from the “wetness”, that’s usually associated with the richness of the midrange, and it somewhat unrelated to the speed.
The Stratus really isn’t all that Wet for a tube amp it certainly has some of that character, but it’s not BHC or early Woo Amp wet.
The EC amps are very dry, not that, that’s bad, tubes do more than provide midrange warmth, they tend to provide better/more visceral micro dynamics than most SS options, and the DHT’s add a certain something that I’ve never heard a good explanation for which gives the sound a presence I’ve never heard from SS or none DHT tubes.
Dry tube amps at the higher end are very common, I have a pair of EL34 based mono blocks in my 2Ch system, and I would have a hard time calling them out as tube amps if I wasn’t familiar with them, but again it’s more than just midrange warmth.

5 Likes

Ah! Thanks, Perogie - I was thinking the Stellaris was a lot larger (and heavier!) than the Stratus. I don’t want to get something I can’t lift or move - I’m 70 years old with a bad back! That’s why I didn’t get an A&S Nautilus! I think I’ll write to Donald North and see how many years the lead time will be and what he needs for a deposit - I really would like to add one of his amps to my stable!

2 Likes

In emailing with Donald about the Stratus, this was the first thing he brought up to maybe play with.

1 Like

Dimension wise it’s pretty close to stratus. Weight wise it’s heavier due to the transformers. Probably closer with the new transformers now in the stratus.

I think Stellaris is over 30lbs. @dncnexus might know for sure. It’s not insubstantial. The Starlett is 20lbs for comparison.

2 Likes