DROP + THX AAA ONE LINEAR AMPLIFIER is in works

a single ended budget THX amp, with more power vs 789´s single ended out

5 Likes

It’s great for the masses.

Not personally into the THX sound, but if they can sub $200 it, it’s good.

2 Likes

yes with the Heresy or Atom … this ONE should better stay sub 200

1 Like

They’ll definately pitch it as a upgrade to the Atom/Heresy. With 789 at 299 now you’d expect it in at 199, maybe 179 preorder.

Just feel like its going to sound the same same.

1 Like

This, to me, seems to be an answer looking for a question.

3 Likes

Hmmm… very interesting :thinking: yeah if it’s over $200 it’s a no go for me. I do like the preamp features though…

2 Likes

I had the Monoprice 887 briefly, but listening to it next to a Magni 3+ it became evident the THX unit was rolling off transient dynamics, so compared to the Schiit everything felt just a little less alive and punchy. The 887 did have a bit more bass power, but I got the best of both worlds by upgrading to an Asgard 3. The 887 went back. I do wonder whether the compressed dynamics are part of the THX AAA design, as I’ve seen this noted on the other THX models as well.

1 Like

I interpret these differences not as rolled-off dynamics, but rather narrower frequency responses and greater clarity. The THX amps produce what is in the source and nothing more, nothing less. Many other amps thicken or warm the signal and thereby add to the punch. The THX design can be a relief with some headphones – the Focal Elex stabbed clean through my brain on warm and fuzzy amps. The dynamics calmed down on a clean amp.

3 Likes

Yeah, similar guts in a bigger and arguably more stylish metal case. Given the empty space that’s surely going to be inside, I’d rather have a compact format amp for this function.

1 Like

The SMSL SP200 …

This amp is now released. Here’s my review of it:

In short, single-ended 789, with less power. But sounds great, and is highly versatile for IEMs.

10 Likes
3 Likes