DROP + THX AAA ONE LINEAR AMPLIFIER Available for Pre-order

Drop + THX AAA ONE
The new Drop + THX amp now available for pre-order. $149 at launch, $199 after launch. Estimated ship date is March 5, 2021.

What do you guys think about this amp?emphasized text

3 Likes

Based on this thread, this new amp is launching with a resounding thud, :joy:.

My two cents? It’s a decent entry level into what I’m assuming is a very neutral amp. But folks at the entry level of this hobby get really enamored by balanced connections, so if I was in the market I’d probably save up the extra $99 and get the 789.

1 Like

And after reading repeatedly about 789 users switching to Asgard 3, I’d probaby save the $ and just get that. :rofl:

5 Likes

I find the THX AAA One a bit of a thud. Most people are already moving away from THX technology as it’s really not that great. Sure its super clean and measures well but thats about it. As @ProfFalkin said, many people are trading in their THX 789 for the Asgard 3, which is already the same price as the THX One.

I also think for the price of an entry level amp its kind of not priced well. For something super clean you can probably get the Schiit Heresy. For a more musical amp you can get the Asgard 3. No real market space for the THX One and anyone wanting the THX tech, would just go for the THX 789 anyways.

I don’t think it will sell well personally. If I get it in for a loaner that would be cool but otherwise I won’t be picking one up personally.

4 Likes

There’s no small irony in this after the THX representative’s unpleasant posts about Schiit Audio on his product’s page on Drop (see from here “Schiit puts money into marketing and enclosures”).

3 Likes

I still may get the balanced one (Drop or Monoprice) when it gets to $250 or less. :speak_no_evil: :smile:

You can probably find one for sale from someone here for around $250. I know many people are letting theirs go atm.

1 Like

If not the 789, what will I run my looks at prompt cards …DT1990 Pro and/or my Drop HD6xx off?

4 Likes

LOL thats a good one :laughing:

1 Like

I’m not sure if I’ll ever understand anyone running the 1990 on transparent sources when it comes to music. Choose something warm and optimized for single ended.

3 Likes

They probably read Reddit where someone told them they can just apply a -18dB EQ to the treble and be fine.

7 Likes

Now. First thing you want to do once you buy your new THX and DT1990, is turn some of that treble down. Go into the Reddits, and apply the full suite of Oratorys EQ, and lets munch that fucker right back onto that Harmen Curve, where every can belongs. Good. Now enjoy.

6 Likes

LOL, I suppose the square peg / round hole solution could work, assuming the hammer is big enough.

3 Likes

They would need a fair whack with the ol’ roll off hammer.

4 Likes

In fairness to the 789, an ear piercing, ice pick stabbing, neighborhood dog infuriating high end is a perfectly accurate frequency response on the DT1990.

Wire with gain, baby!!:joy::joy:

2 Likes

This discussion is too hard on an entry-level pre-release product.

The Drop One amp [fantastic rebranding there Massdrop :roll_eyes:] is just the JDS Atom or Schiit Heresy in a wider metal case. Given Drop’s recent Apple-like moves toward style over function (e.g., the ifi Zen blue editions), their marketing strategy is clear. They added a distinctive chassis to charge more than JDS or Schiit for similar audio quality. Plenty of people want something that looks and feels “nice,” but have no interest in oddball balanced connectors that won’t work with their computers, tablets, phone (dongles), etc.

I personally remain happy with THX amps for making the most of less resolving headphones. Fuzziness and flaws are common in the entry-to-mid price bracket.

2 Likes

There also might just be the general push back from the audio herd regarding THX, they kind of exploded onto the scene about a year or so ago and were touted as sliced bread 2.0. Overhyped gets remembered.

5 Likes

Hi everyone,
I owned many Schiit gears for about 10 years. My most recent stack has been their Modi multibit/magni3.
I found i prefered the sound from my Apple dongle more with iems. I heard many details that i had not heard with the Schiit stack. Am I weird? :))
And I want to ask if the thx amps from Drop sounding anything like the Apple dongle? I would love to buy an amp for my LCD2. Tks