Fidelice by Rupert Neve Designs - Official Thread

The buttons are different on the dac than they are on the standalone amp. How do they compare to the Fidelice RNHP? It appears that they are the same on that unit as they are on the original RNHP.

Also curious as to your impressions of the standalone amp.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll get to that as well but Iā€™ll need to sort out some cables first because that one is only single ended, and most of the headphones Iā€™m testing have 4pin terminations.

3 Likes

ā€¦and you call yourself a reviewerā€¦psssh! :smirk::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Iā€™m of course joking, just to be clear!

4 Likes

It probably is using the 4497, but the number of available channels isnā€™t a good indicator of that. You can put these DACs in different modes, bond the channels and run them mono or stereo for better dynamic range, SNR and distortion performance.

The quoted number of channels is just the maximum number of discrete channels they can do.

4 Likes

ahh that makes sense.

So now that Iā€™ve spent the better portion of a day with the Rupert Neve Fidelice DAC Iā€™ve been able to reach a few conclusions. Iā€™ve always approached DAC and headphone amplifier comparisons from the experiential side of things, mostly just because I lack the equipment needed to properly measure these devices at the moment. But with that said, Iā€™d like to think that I have enough experience with different source gear to appropriately know what to listen for. Related to this is the recognition that differences between DACs - as long as those that are compared are of reasonably similar quality - can often make very little difference to the listener in the long run. However, experiencing the RNDAC, and comparing it with gear that many would consider ā€œgood enoughā€, I can confidently say that Iā€™m no longer okay with ā€œgood enoughā€.

Of course, the RNDAC also has an amp component, so really Iā€™m just giving a quick rundown of how I perceive this unit in comparison to some of the other gear I have on my desk at the moment, namely the following:

Schiit Modi 2
oDAC
Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt
iFi iDSD Micro BL
iFi iCAN Pro
Cayin IHA-6

Listening so far has mostly been done on my ZMF Verite and Focal Elegia. The first thing I can say is that all of my music simply has more ā€˜clarityā€™ out of the 4pin XLR of the RNDAC when compared with both those of the iCAN Pro and the Cayin IHA-6 paired with the Burr Brown DACs of the iDSD Micro BL (one of my ā€œgood enoughā€ sources). To be more specific, it sounds like the edges of each tone have a stronger emphasis, causing images to be more structurally well-defined. That on its own has been eye-opening. But beyond that, the RNDAC matches the perceived speed of the IHA-6, without being as lean. Moreover, one of the IHA-6ā€™s better qualities is that it does really well for depth information in front of me, and I feel that the RNDAC does just about as good with a bit better separation and width information as well.

The iCAN Pro on the other hand doesnā€™t come across as fast, but it has a certain focus and thickness to the tones that can be appealing with the right headphone pairing. This is also one of the comparisons that leads me to conclude the IHA-6 sounds a bit lean. But on the whole I canā€™t say which of them is better, just different. On the other hand, I can comfortably say that I prefer the RNDAC to both of them. I havenā€™t heard the Verite sound this precise and surgical for its images out of any other source before.

Recognizing that many of these experiential and anecdotal differences may also come down to more technical aspects like power, current, output impedance etc., Iā€™ll leave those differences for a longer review, but hereā€™s how I would rank them for the most immediate categories that come to mind:

Speed - RNDAC = IHA-6 > iCAN Pro
Clarity/Image Distinction - RNDAC > IHA-6 = iCAN Pro
Tonal Structure (thick vs lean) - RNDAC = iCAN Pro > IHA-6
Stage & Perceived Space - RNDAC > iHA-6 > iCAN Pro

To put it another way for the photography enthusiasts among us, it feels like the RNDAC is like using an extra sharp macro lens for detail, and the others are simply good lenses with their own characteristics and purposes. Needless to say this first impression has been quite positive. Lastly, the amp also just recently passed the girlfriend test with a ā€œwow I like that oneā€. I donā€™t know how this thing will measureā€¦ but somehow I feel that last test is the most important one.

Just some more photos for now:

12 Likes

Sweet. The RNDAC is a Prime lens. Nice write up.

4 Likes

Itā€™ll be nice to see the RNHP (new version in your possession) paired with the RNDAC and the ifi. That would be a good listening metric to have. It would give an idea as to how much of what youā€™re hearing is the dac section vs. the headphone output.

2 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s actually a test Iā€™m beginning to do now, even with the IHA-6. Iā€™m running the RNDAC through the IHA-6 and I feel like itā€™s more the DAC than the amp thatā€™s making the difference. Of course, thatā€™s hard to tell because itā€™s also a different amp that Iā€™m listening through, and one that Iā€™m used to already.

3 Likes

Interestingly, your experience mirrors my experience borrowing Jexbyā€™s Yggy A2 w/ Unison. Only Yggy isnā€™t lean. Clarity, details and staging were so precise compared to ā€œgood enoughā€ dacs.

Iā€™d love to see a round-up review of RNDac, Yggy, a solid resistor ladder DAC, and maybe something like the iFi Audio X Pro Nano iDSD X Micro DAC thingy.

You know which one I mean.

The big square $2500 one.

ā€¦ AKA, Bob.

6 Likes

Pre-order is active!

3 Likes

@andrew @taronlissimore, any word on availability/pricing of the Fidelice RNHP?

1 Like

$1195 for the RNHP. I donā€™t know if it will be available next Wednesday with the RNDAC but Andrew is talking to Tristan ahead of the launch for the exact details.

4 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

If anyone is seriously looking for the DAC or Amp feel free to shoot me a message here or e-mail at taron@headphones.com. Our forum members get first dibs on them along with some extra perks!

6 Likes

Nice.

1 Like

So just thought Iā€™d give an update on that one issue I was having. It definitely looks to be a pre-release usb driver issue for Windows. As @andrew reported he didnā€™t have any issues on Mac, and I just switched it out to Toslink and so far itā€™s also flawless. The guys over at Rupert Neve were kind enough to provide the manual, which also indicates the need to download a windows driver, which I imagine will be available once the product launches officially.

As a friend of mine likes to say in these situations: ā€œsolution solvedā€

6 Likes

Andrew, what dac are you currently using (prior to RNDAC)?

My current go-to has been the burr browns of the iDSD Micro BL, but Iā€™ve also got an oDAC and a Modi 2 kicking around. But Iā€™ve also spent time with the RME ADI-2 and the IDAC6, as well as the higher end Chord stuff like the Dave and Hugo TT. I may get a chance to compare this with some of the Phonitor stuff in the near future as well.

4 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure he uses the built in DAC on his Dell tower motherboardā€¦ :thinking: :smirk: :rofl:

Joking of courseā€¦

5 Likes